Audeze LCD-4
Nov 25, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #1,771 of 11,994
  The Pavane is only a DAC..there are DAC's that cost 20K so what does that mean?The TT is essentially the same DAC as the hugo with a  better and more powerful amp...if your intention is only to use the DAC why not buy a mojo and pair it with the amp?...or a used Hugo?......I suppose people can do anything they want but to buy a 5K TT which is a DAC and amp and by all accounts a very powerful amp and then spend a ton of money to add an amp seems like overkill at best and folly at worst.....just my 2 cents...FWIIW i have the Yiggy/Rag combo and i entertained the thought of getting the TT because i liked my Hugo so much but in the end went for the Schiit combo.....had i bought the TT instead i wouldnt even have considered an amp added on otherwise i wouldnt have gotten the TT

I have the Pavane and with an Apex Teton it is sublime with the hd800 and Lcd-X. I was lucky enough to get mine used so $5k is a little on the high side for it imo. but just a little. Overkill a little bit on the Lcd-X but hd800 really scales. 

Even with my best cartridge, a 20x2H, I have a hard time picking which one is my favorite. Used deals galore on dacs make them a worthy audio product, I would never buy a dac new though.

Nov 25, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #1,772 of 11,994
There's little sense in "defending" DACs....I have the Pavane too and people that have never heard one will never understand why someone would spent that kind of money on a source.  Bottom line it's for people that's already got their amplification and drivers setup properly....only then will a true quality DAC shine.

Nov 25, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #1,773 of 11,994
I have no issue with spending the money on a DAC...I have the Yiggy/Rag combo and love the Yiggy DAC...in fact i personally think the DAC is the most important element in the chain...that said my point was simply that the Chord TT for 5K is both a DAC and and amp and quite a capable amp at that...if one only wants to use the DAC of the TT then it would make more sense to buy a used Hugo or even a Mojo as the DAC's are essentially the same in all of them with marginal differences....

Nov 25, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #1,774 of 11,994
Yeah, for some reason, the buzz I hear is that to get the top Chord DAC performance, you need to get the Hugo or the TT, and they kind of force you to get the built in amp too even if you don't intend to use it. With the Dave, there is no alternative up in that stratosphere. So that's why you read here that so many here use the Hugo or TT DAC-only mode.

I bet even the Dave will have the same fate.
In fact, I bet those who don't blink at the Dave price would probably not be caught dead not choosing their own amp.

I use my Hugo with my trusty old Rudistor RP010B amp that floats my boat just for the record here. 'works for me.

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #1,775 of 11,994
  I can confirm that out of my AK240SS in balanced mode, the LCD-4 sounds fantastic! But on my main rig (Hugo TT --> GS-X Mk2), the LCD-4s scale quite a bit higher. But if you're taking the LCD-4s with you on an extended vacation, they can (and do) sound great out of a portable setup too.

I dont know what to think about somebody spending almost 5K for the Chord TT and then buying an amp to use with it....seems rather absurd to be honest...

Audeze sound while you're sitting on a BEACH???

That would be sensory nirvana...I like your style brother

I am assuming this is a joke or an attempt at humor?...would anyone possibly bring a 4K pair of open backed headphones to the beach of all places....lets start with the obvious:the noise on the beach and the lack of any isolation would render listening to them a complete waste of time not to speak of the annoyance to any other beachgoers near you and of course the idea of a pair of 4K headphones on the beach around the sand where they would likely be ruined is itself insane......sometimes i read things like this and wonder if people are kidding or serious...the other day i read some guy saying he takes his LCD-3's on the bus and i immediately tried to imagine that lol

Actually it's closer to $6k in Canada. As said, the LCD-4s sound marvellous out of the Chord TT's amplifier. But they do sound even better with moar powa....and that's were the 5.5W of the GS-X Mk2 comes in...an even more dynamic and expansive experience. 

Oh...and he was joking about the beach...at least I hope he was. 
tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #1,776 of 11,994
  The Pavane is only a DAC..there are DAC's that cost 20K so what does that mean?The TT is essentially the same DAC as the hugo with a  better and more powerful amp...if your intention is only to use the DAC why not buy a mojo and pair it with the amp?...or a used Hugo?......I suppose people can do anything they want but to buy a 5K TT which is a DAC and amp and by all accounts a very powerful amp and then spend a ton of money to add an amp seems like overkill at best and folly at worst.....just my 2 cents...FWIIW i have the Yiggy/Rag combo and i entertained the thought of getting the TT because i liked my Hugo so much but in the end went for the Schiit combo.....had i bought the TT instead i wouldnt even have considered an amp added on otherwise i wouldnt have gotten the TT

The TT is on another level above the portable Hugo and Metrum Hex (my review of the TT will be out in early Dec)...there is galvanic isolation of the USB now and this is a few steps better now and balanced outputs to feed my GS-X Mk2 & MORE importantly, my Liquid Lightning 2 (among other improvements) and while I am very impressed with the portable Hugo, the TT is on another level. The Yggy was a step back from my Metrum Hex to my ears...that DAC I don't get...sorry. But it's great that we have so many options. 

I was only planning on reviewing the TT and sending it back when I was done, but going back to the Hex wasn't going to happen after going back and forth for a month or so...so I purchased the review unit I had. My GS-X Mk2 isn't going anywhere...so that's where the overkill comes from. 
redface.gif

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #1,777 of 11,994
I used to be a driver first, source last sort of fellow but going up to totl headphones I have come to appreciate how important a high quality source is, but amplification is where I think the biggest things are happening currently and my full size Mjolnir kgsshv and Apex Teton take up the bulk. I still think headphones have a ways to go before they are in a full blown silver age with offerings that can take on the mighty Orpheus, R-10, K-1000, Omega, 007mk1 etc. and for right now $3k is my limit. 

Thanks to Audeze sending me extra headband and earpads on accident and no need for a balanced cable my X's new were 1589, my demo hd800's were $1000 and after currency exchange my oo7mk1(71xxx) were $1700. For me it is really hard to cough up over $3k for a pair of headphones when I scored 3 really heavy hitters for around $4300. The he-1k was also not up my alley, after owning for a month I sent it back. Hopefully the K-1000mk2 is under $3k or Audeze has a black friday sale again.

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #1,778 of 11,994
What do y'all think of jumping to these from LCD-2 Pre-F?

I like my LCD-2's as I bought them used for a good deal at 725$ here on the forums. The clarity is lovely, the bass is just amazing. I just wish the sound was a tiny bit wider and had slightly less faded sounding treble without giving up the bass.

My only issue is that driving the LCD-4's might be too hard compared to the LCD-2's. I can usually get by with just the power from my Mobo but I keep a Fiio E11 (I used to have an Ifi nano and heard no improvement, so I returned it) around in case I do.

The only thing that bothers me is most of the older music I listen to sounds pretty bad on any headphones. It doesn't have that clarity that newer music has.

Dubstep sounds pretty good and clean so far, as well as anime soundtracks. But rock music just sounds bad like the microphones for recording were trash.

Anyone, anyone think the LCD-4 is a bad idea? I considered the LCD-3 but I like having the flagship. It's an issue for my wallet :D

Nov 26, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #1,779 of 11,994

I think I will miss it, I felt that way about 30 minutes into my first listening session with the HEK, I also felt that way with the SR-009 too. Yeah they are better but there is just something about the 3F (and now the 4) sound that I looooooove.

I found the SR-009 to be utterly lacking in warmth and bass response compared to the LCD-3f.  Can't wait for the 4 to arrive . . . soon I hope !

Nov 26, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #1,780 of 11,994
  What do y'all think of jumping to these from LCD-2 Pre-F?

I like my LCD-2's as I bought them used for a good deal at 725$ here on the forums. The clarity is lovely, the bass is just amazing. I just wish the sound was a tiny bit wider and had slightly less faded sounding treble without giving up the bass.

My only issue is that driving the LCD-4's might be too hard compared to the LCD-2's. I can usually get by with just the power from my Mobo but I keep a Fiio E11 (I used to have an Ifi nano and heard no improvement, so I returned it) around in case I do.

The only thing that bothers me is most of the older music I listen to sounds pretty bad on any headphones. It doesn't have that clarity that newer music has.

Dubstep sounds pretty good and clean so far, as well as anime soundtracks. But rock music just sounds bad like the microphones for recording were trash.

Anyone, anyone think the LCD-4 is a bad idea? I considered the LCD-3 but I like having the flagship. It's an issue for my wallet :D

You better off compare them before buying the LCD4;
I didn't make the comparison with the LCD4, but I did it with the 3F and I kept my LCD2.2.
Something isn't right with the fazer for me.
If they would be able to make an LCD4 without fazer, I would be happy to try them.
Anyway be careful before letting go your LCD2 because it has a sound that you won't be able to get again. A natural and deep sound.
Maybe get a better amp or dac with that money.

Nov 26, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #1,781 of 11,994
austinfett I went from the LCD-2 pre-f to the LCD-4.

I was going to get the LCD-3f but, I was concerned I would lose some of that great now famous LCD-2 pre-f bass. Well then the LCD-4 was anowanced so I ordered them instead.

The LCD-4 (which of course has the fazor) actually produces even better bass! In fact I think it's safe to say it has the best bass to date of any Audeze headphone. It's so clear, tight, and deep right down to 20Hz. And yes there is plenty of it. It's serious bass but, done right.

So no sacrifice of bass with the fazor on this headphone and yes high end clarity and imaging is also much better. It actually has some width and it doesn't sound like everything is happening in your head. It's a bit closer to the way speakers sound. They are now my favorite headphones for rock. Yes, even better then the LCD-2 pre-f.

However, you do need some power to get the most out of them. I would recommend about 5 watts. You can still achieve ample volume with much less but, you will miss out on some of that great bass and lose some sound staging and detail.

Nov 26, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #1,782 of 11,994
Austinfett-- I suggest you get these LCD3C phones for sale for $1200 by karmanfamily on the for sale forums (the 3 is a big step up in palpable fleshed out imaging from the 2, and these are becoming hard to get):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/788799/audeze-lcd-3-pre-fazor-in-great-condition-with-new-stock-cables-and-ruggedized-travel-case

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #1,783 of 11,994

I found the SR-009 to be utterly lacking in warmth and bass response compared to the LCD-3f.  Can't wait for the 4 to arrive . . . soon I hope !

It was the first time I had heard an electrostatic and initially it was mind blowing how super detailed and super clean it was. But half way through the CD I was listening to it started sounding a bit artificial, voices were too super clean lacking texture and the bass had zero impact (but they tell me this improves with the BHSE). It would be something I would still get if it was more affordable but would keep the 3F too.

You will love the 4!!! I have been dreaming about it, I have been seeing chrome covers floating in the clouds!

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #1,784 of 11,994
  Austinfett-- I suggest you get these LCD3C phones for sale for $1200 by karmanfamily on the for sale forums (the 3 is a big step up in palpable fleshed out imaging from the 2, and these are becoming hard to get):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/788799/audeze-lcd-3-pre-fazor-in-great-condition-with-new-stock-cables-and-ruggedized-travel-case

Man you're breaking me here. $1200 is a good deal. My only issue with the 3 is the reports of QC issues. But maybe that was the 3F only. 

You better off compare them before buying the LCD4;
I didn't make the comparison with the LCD4, but I did it with the 3F and I kept my LCD2.2.
Something isn't right with the fazer for me.
If they would be able to make an LCD4 without fazer, I would be happy to try them.
Anyway be careful before letting go your LCD2 because it has a sound that you won't be able to get again. A natural and deep sound.
Maybe get a better amp or dac with that money.

A DAC I could understand. A better amp, not so much. I used to have my sights set on the Schiit Lyr 2. Later that changed to an O2 + ODAC. I'm still really debating if it's even worth my money. I'm thinking hardly. But I do want to compare them, I'm just not sure where. TheCableCo seems promising but 199$ just to use headphones for 2 weeks is a lot IMO.

Thanks for the help guys.

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #1,785 of 11,994
  Man you're breaking me here. $1200 is a good deal. My only issue with the 3 is the reports of QC issues. But maybe that was the 3F only. 

Definitely wasn't the 3F only as my original 3C driver failed from inactivity.  It was taken cared of quickly though by Audeze before I sold it.  I think they are almost done sorting their issues with the driver failures now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back