Audeze LCD-4
Nov 24, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #1,756 of 11,995
Regarding the feedback that the Mojo needed to be at full volume with the LCD-4 - checked today and Mojo does 250mW into 100ohm. The LCD-4 needs 100mW of power to hit 120dB.

No wonder my impression was that I had plenty of volume headroom.

I can confirm that out of my AK240SS in balanced mode, the LCD-4 sounds fantastic! But on my main rig (Hugo TT --> GS-X Mk2), the LCD-4s scale quite a bit higher. But if you're taking the LCD-4s with you on an extended vacation, they can (and do) sound great out of a portable setup too.

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #1,757 of 11,995

I can confirm that out of my AK240SS in balanced mode, the LCD-4 sounds fantastic! But on my main rig (Hugo TT --> GS-X Mk2), the LCD-4s scale quite a bit higher. But if you're taking the LCD-4s with you on an extended vacation, they can (and do) sound great out of a portable setup too.

yep, taking them to the beach next week :wink:

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #1,758 of 11,995

Lol, we'll need photos.

I was referring to hotel rooms and the such. 
tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #1,759 of 11,995

Audeze sound while you're sitting on a BEACH???

That would be sensory nirvana...I like your style brother

Nov 25, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #1,760 of 11,995
Wow, reading some of the posts from you guys that do own the LCD4s - I didn't think you could go much more than a pair of LCD3s (which I bought almost only 8 months ago - DOH!!!) - Well... the 3s are no slouch either, and I'm pretty impressed by them already. Guess I'm gonna have to test the 4s out sooner or later...
blink.gif

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #1,761 of 11,995
Wow, reading some of the posts from you guys that do own the LCD4s - I didn't think you could go much more than a pair of LCD3s (which I bought almost only 8 months ago - DOH!!!) - Well... the 3s are no slouch either, and I'm pretty impressed by them already. Guess I'm gonna have to test the 4s out sooner or later...:blink:

With you on this, loving my 3f and HD800, very happy with the combination.

Will wait for Peter's comparison of the LCD-4, HEK, and Hifiman Edition X on Headphoneguru.com before I consider another addition.

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #1,762 of 11,995
  Wow, reading some of the posts from you guys that do own the LCD4s - I didn't think you could go much more than a pair of LCD3s (which I bought almost only 8 months ago - DOH!!!) - Well... the 3s are no slouch either, and I'm pretty impressed by them already. Guess I'm gonna have to test the 4s out sooner or later...
blink.gif

It's a tough decision for people that already have the 3F (like me), if its worth upgrading to the 4 or not. If the prices were closer together (or if you have a lot of cash) it would be a no brainer. Make no mistake, the 4 kills the 3F in every way, it is obvious within 30 seconds. The sound signatures are so similar that it is very easy to pick the better one. If you have the 4, the 3F is of little use. I would be amazed if anyone would pick the 3F over the 4. Saying that though, some 3C people might still like their 3C better, but I like the 4>>3F>3C.

With you on this, loving my 3f and HD800, very happy with the combination.
Will wait for Peter's comparison of the LCD-4, HEK, and Hifiman Edition X on Headphoneguru.com before I consider another addition.

Different story between the 4 and HEK, they are slightly different flavours and both technically very good, makes it harder to pick which one, plus the difference in price/weight complicates things too. So I will also be very interested in comparisons from those who own both. The HEK is also clearly better than the 3F to me, but if I got the HEK I think I would keep the 3F also, otherwise I would miss that sweet rich Audeze sound in the long term.

Hmm.. maybe I can get the LCD4 and the HEK, that would fix everything.

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #1,763 of 11,995
I had both 3F and HEK at the same time for several weeks.  After finding the right amp to drive the HEK I ended up selling the 3F( I owned the 3F as my reference for several years).   The HEK scaled so much better than the 3F did and the improvements were quite noticeable.  May still look in to getting a LCD4 but I am in no hurry (which means I'm still hot on the HEK ).  I don't miss the 3F at all.

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #1,764 of 11,995
  I had both 3F and HEK at the same time for several weeks.  After finding the right amp to drive the HEK I ended up selling the 3F( I owned the 3F as my reference for several years).   The HEK scaled so much better than the 3F did and the improvements were quite noticeable.  May still look in to getting a LCD4 but I am in no hurry (which means I'm still hot on the HEK ).  I don't miss the 3F at all.

I think I will miss it, I felt that way about 30 minutes into my first listening session with the HEK, I also felt that way with the SR-009 too. Yeah they are better but there is just something about the 3F (and now the 4) sound that I looooooove.

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #1,765 of 11,995
I can't say the same.....I've sold my LCD-3 (was the original C the whole time and recently went to F right before I sold it for a warranty repair on the driver), LCD-2 in the past, and now selling the LCD-X and the LCD-Xc to pick up the LCD-4 (sheer curiosity more than anything else).  But I do not miss the Audeze stuff @ all with the HE-1000 in house....it is just sublime in the way it reproduces the music I listen to......it's almost too perfect in the way I can't fault it anywhere from bottom to top.  I really think we're reaching the summit (if not already there) for the dynamic/planar game with these recent TOTL's......that's why it's definitely time for me to move to STAX as soon as my amps are ready.

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #1,766 of 11,995

I think I will miss it, I felt that way about 30 minutes into my first listening session with the HEK, I also felt that way with the SR-009 too. Yeah they are better but there is just something about the 3F (and now the 4) sound that I looooooove.

I am with you on this, the tone, texture, richness of music with the 3f is addictive. When I picked it up it was for rock, but it has displaced my HD800 in jazz as well. While I enjoyed the HEK, I just wish it had just a bit more of the "Audeze Magic". 

For now I am loving the 3f/HD800 combination it is sublime with the Taurus Mk. 2. Hoping Audeze does offer a bit of trickle down technology in between the 3f and 4.

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #1,767 of 11,995

Well I have to say I felt the same in the beginning but after prolong use I stop using the 3F and hence put it for sale and never looked back . I also felt in the beginning that the midrange on the 3F was giving me more.  But as I moved up to a better amp the difference became less and less and the HEK just got so much better.  If I was still using my Burson Virtuoso I think I would have kept the 3F.  The Burson was my limiting factor.  The Violectric V281 gave magic to the HEK's midrange.  The HEK midrange no longer sounded bland compare to the 3F.  I am going to say it did not beat the 3F midrange (it matched it for me) but everything else got better.

Nov 25, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #1,768 of 11,995

I dont know what to think about somebody spending almost 5K for the Chord TT and then buying an amp to use with it....seems rather absurd to be honest...

Originally Posted by groovyd 

yep, taking them to the beach next week 
wink.gif

Audeze sound while you're sitting on a BEACH???

That would be sensory nirvana...I like your style brother

I am assuming this is a joke or an attempt at humor?...would anyone possibly bring a 4K pair of open backed headphones to the beach of all places....lets start with the obvious:the noise on the beach and the lack of any isolation would render listening to them a complete waste of time not to speak of the annoyance to any other beachgoers near you and of course the idea of a pair of 4K headphones on the beach around the sand where they would likely be ruined is itself insane......sometimes i read things like this and wonder if people are kidding or serious...the other day i read some guy saying he takes his LCD-3's on the bus and i immediately tried to imagine that lol

Nov 25, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #1,769 of 11,995
W

I dont know what to think about somebody spending almost 5K for the Chord TT and then buying an amp to use with it....seems rather absurd to be honest..

Well, the Metrum Pavane costs the same at the TT and is simply a DAC. So is buying a Pavane absurd because simply of its price? Is it a given that the Pavane is completely superior to the Chord's DAC for all listeners?

Nov 25, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #1,770 of 11,995
The Pavane is only a DAC..there are DAC's that cost 20K so what does that mean?The TT is essentially the same DAC as the hugo with a  better and more powerful amp...if your intention is only to use the DAC why not buy a mojo and pair it with the amp?...or a used Hugo?......I suppose people can do anything they want but to buy a 5K TT which is a DAC and amp and by all accounts a very powerful amp and then spend a ton of money to add an amp seems like overkill at best and folly at worst.....just my 2 cents...FWIIW i have the Yiggy/Rag combo and i entertained the thought of getting the TT because i liked my Hugo so much but in the end went for the Schiit combo.....had i bought the TT instead i wouldnt even have considered an amp added on otherwise i wouldnt have gotten the TT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back