Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #2,131 of 6,385
I have been out for a long time  but i kept my rig Naim cd player and  Berendsen cd player --> MPX3 with  kenrad and sylvania vt 231 --> Equinox cable  ---> Sennheiser HD650

id like to try out something new but i already have the senn HD650 . i wanna try something that is not smililar to the HD650 - maybe something different  with better low end.

Please let me know if these headphones im looking in to might be a good fit for me to try out 
Audeze LCD3 
Audeze LCDx
Audeze LCD2

will my currrent amp/set up be adequate for these cans?

tnx guys ....

Dec 5, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #2,132 of 6,385
  I have been out for a long time  but i kept my rig Naim cd player and  Berendsen cd player --> MPX3 with  kenrad and sylvania vt 231 --> Equinox cable  ---> Sennheiser HD650

id like to try out something new but i already have the senn HD650 . i wanna try something that is not smililar to the HD650 - maybe something different  with better low end.

Please let me know if these headphones im looking in to might be a good fit for me to try out 
Audeze LCD3 
Audeze LCDx
Audeze LCD2

will my currrent amp/set up be adequate for these cans?

tnx guys ....

Based on your description and coming from the HD650, I would recommend the LCD-X.

Dec 5, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #2,133 of 6,385

As always my rec is to snag an LCD-2 Rev2 from the for sale forum and see how you like the house sound of Audeze and fit/weight.

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #2,135 of 6,385
  yeah the driver just automatically dies. i thought it was a cable problem, but nope, tried swapping cables, changing channels, different headphone jack, etc.  

they sent me RMA yesterday so i shipped them, will take a while to get to california from chicago though. hopefully by the end of next week or start of the week after, i'll have them fixed.

One of my LCD3 drivers died a couple months ago. I mailed it to Audeze on Monday and got it back on Thursday. Nice turnaround time but let's hope this doesn't become an annual event.

This biggest surprise was they sounded like totally different headphones after they got back. Better in my opinion. Same bass but much more upper midrange, and a little more treble. Got an improved holographic layering effect with more speed and slam.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #2,137 of 6,385
These are odd. The dip in the presence region is rather severe.

HD650 veil:

LCD 3 veil:

Also quite a bit of energy beyond 10khz. These aren't headphones you blast, lest you savor the ache of head with which you greet the arrival of listening fatigue.

The build quality is impressive, there's some genuine beauty in these cans. It's too bad that the sound isn't commensurable to the price.

I don't mean to crap too much on what is, after all, an appreciation thread. I'm enjoying these headphones but I'm weary of their current limitations. Otherwise the bass, instrument separation, lower midrange detail retrieval and sense of space are very good, better than I recall hearing in a crowded meet scenario.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #2,138 of 6,385
My LCD3s don't sound veiled at all. Especially not with the Silver Widow. Clean tight beautiful mids, nicely extended detailed treble, and slammin' punchy tight bass. Yep it's all in there. Of course the amp and dac contribute to that. Veil? What veil? Not over here...

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #2,139 of 6,385
My LCD3s don't sound veiled at all. Especially not with the Silver Widow. Clean tight beautiful mids, nicely extended detailed treble, and slammin' punchy tight bass. Yep it's all in there. Of course the amp and dac contribute to that. Veil? What veil? Not over here...

Kikazaru finds nothing wrong. There is much wisdom in his approach.

I'm a stupid monkey who has foolishly amassed too many flagship headphones. It's tough not to notice both strengths and deficiencies through comparison.

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #2,140 of 6,385
After reading about the LCDX I am beginning to get a bit of an itch and I am wondering if any of you could share some thoughts on where I should go next.

Right now I am running HD800s through a Burson Soloist with a X-Sabre DAC. I've had the HD800 for a few months now and they have been like opening Pandora's box for me. They sound great and of course detailed, but there is just a little something in the pleasure department missing. And one of the biggest issues I have had after using the HD800 is that I simply cannot go back to my old HE-500, as although they are enjoyable they are quite unresolving in comparison to the HD800.

So I have been wondering if the LCD3 may be an answer for this. I'm looking for phones that are resolving, dynamic and present the music's emotion well. 

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #2,142 of 6,385
  After reading about the LCDX I am beginning to get a bit of an itch and I am wondering if any of you could share some thoughts on where I should go next.

Right now I am running HD800s through a Burson Soloist with a X-Sabre DAC. I've had the HD800 for a few months now and they have been like opening Pandora's box for me. They sound great and of course detailed, but there is just a little something in the pleasure department missing. And one of the biggest issues I have had after using the HD800 is that I simply cannot go back to my old HE-500, as although they are enjoyable they are quite unresolving in comparison to the HD800.

So I have been wondering if the LCD3 may be an answer for this. I'm looking for phones that are resolving, dynamic and present the music's emotion well. 

No, with the LCD-3 you will likely be missing something/a lot after the HD800s. I just kept going back and forth between the two looking for what was missing with the other.
The LCD-X might be the answer but I can't vouch for that as I haven't heard them yet.

My personal answer was what's in my sig.

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #2,144 of 6,385
just got my LCD-3 back from repair! 

they sound better too! the new graph does show a difference, basically less peaks/dips in the treble and the dip in the lower treble is smaller. 

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #2,145 of 6,385
This thread seems almost dead recently. I wonder why. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back