Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot?
Mar 19, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #198 of 210
I conferred with an esteemed member here on the forum and decided on the Mjolnir for the amp. Prefer to buy once and done.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #200 of 210
LCD3 and $1000 amp, hands down.

IME, the amp is the least important part of the chain, providing said amp is of reasonably good design, build and more importantly, adequately powered.

Headphone>source>amp.....in that order.

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #201 of 210
COG:

It might take a couple of weeks to get the LCD-2s and -3s from Cable Co, those cans are in high demand -- in fact somebody was waiting for the -3s when I had them.  I think I waited no more than a couple of weeks.  My guess is shipping for just 2 headphones will be in the $25 range or less if you are in the eastern half of the country, maybe a bit more in the west (remember, you are paying round trip, as they provide a return label).  If you are even considering any other cans that they have in the library, you might as well borrow them too:  the marginal cost is almost nothing, since the cheapest thing you are considering buying is nearly $1K, meaning you could theoretically borrow $20K worth of hardware and all it costs you is shipping.  They'll throw in extra cables too, some for free, some not, unless you tell them specifically not to.  Again, the real marginal cost is almost nothing for the cables (they don't weigh much, so the extra shipping cost is negligible), but you need to decide if you want them included.

I am REALLY interested in somebody trying the Mjolnir with the Audeze's, and you owe us a review in exchange for all of our "free" advice.
wink.gif
.  If I were you I would try to time the headphone delivery with the arrival of the amp.  Reading around here, it appears that you will get your amp in the next couple of weeks, so no big deal if you have to wait a week or two for the loaner Audezes.

And Audeze doesn't allow discounting, so the only way you would get them cheaper is used. 

I will be happy to provide a review when I get my LCD2.2's (rosewood!) and the Schiit Mjolnir amp. I ordered a Bifrost dac with it though so not the best dac and maybe I should have but we do what we can right?

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #202 of 210
I am going to send the Bifrost back when I get it and order a Gungnir so I have balanced I/O all the way through. May be awhile until I can get a Gungnir but that's ok I will just wait. That's what I get for not researching thoroughly because then I would have known about the balanced outputs of the Gungnir.

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #203 of 210
Quote:
I am going to send the Bifrost back when I get it and order a Gungnir so I have balanced I/O all the way through. May be awhile until I can get a Gungnir but that's ok I will just wait. That's what I get for not researching thoroughly because then I would have known about the balanced outputs of the Gungnir.

Keep the Bifrost, that way you're not without a DAC.

The Bifrost is completely competent and may help you appreciate how much
of a step up Gungnir or you next DAC is.

Not to mention that sucker will sell fast.

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #205 of 210
Quote:
Perhaps he is thinking of return as in money back under trail period?

Either way. He pretty much said he's returning Bifrost, but won't have the funds for Gungnir for some time.

He may as well keep Bifrost in the meantime because it has a good/fast resale value.

And uh, allows him to not be DAC-less. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #206 of 210
Quote:
Either way. He pretty much said he's returning Bifrost, but won't have the funds for Gungnir for some time.

He may as well keep Bifrost in the meantime because it has a good/fast resale value.

And uh, allows him to not be DAC-less. 

Yup i agree with you, its what I would do. I would not go DAC-less. Next to cans and source (lossless and decent means to get to the songs) a DAC is right up there.

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #207 of 210
A life without a DAC is a dour one.... 
triportsad.gif

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #208 of 210
Boy, I agree with that. Listening to my LCD3 without a DAC, even with an excellent amp, loses way too much. Of course, there's always a DAC--in my case, built into my Macbook Pro, but even a modest outboard DAC is a big improvement over that.

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #210 of 210
We had a Southern California meet couple days ago and I got a chance to listen to a bunch of audezes ie. LCD X, LCD XC, LCD 3/fazor. I owned LCD 2.2 non fazor.
They are all VERY good sounding headphone and you can't go wrong with any of them. They're expensive but if your objective is to have the best experience than they will not disappoint.

Do I hear differences between LCD 2 vs 3 ?
YES! There's a reason why 3 is twice more money than it's little brother 2. IMO, LCD 3 is more refined, cleaner, balanced, beautiful presentation, fuller sound and most natural sound coming from a headphone. LCD 2 is just a little behind. Is the twice as much price worth it ? it's all up to you...for me, simply Yes.
I also get a chance to listen to The All Mighty Stax SR 009 w/ Blue Hawaii amp..WOW they're different but not too far off.

The 2014 edition with Fazor makes a huge different to me. I hear better clarity, way better separation and imaging like watching 65" 4K High Def 3-D TV. While LCD 2 is 55" High Def 3-D TV.

I listened to those headphone straight out of FiiO X5 ( drive them just fine), with E12, RSA Predator, and ALO Continental V2.

You guys probably think meh... these are just beginner portable cheap little amp. In my IMO, these amps alone is enough to bring these phones to the next level where I feel very satisfied and most of all I found what I've been looking for. The Key is in the Headphone!
That's why at you see most vendors using either HD 800 or LCD phones to demo their products!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back