Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot?
Jul 24, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #76 of 210
I will absolutely and empirically declare that the LCD-2 rev.2 / Lyr is the best bang for the buck. None of the touchy-feely IMO; It's the fact, Jack

Edit: when bought used.

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #77 of 210
IMO, the Liquid Fire and the Leben are both very good match with the LCD3. The LF gives a cleaner sound especially with the vintage Telefunken CCa's, and the Leben gives a more tubby feeling, but suffice to say that both drive the LCD3 with authority, IMO.

As I have pointed out in the past, while the LCD3 still sounds okay with portable setups or lesser amps (e.g. Schitt), the true value of the LCD3 is greatly undermined, IMO. I tried using my portable setups with the LCD3, and frankly, the difference in performance between the LCD3 and the LCD2 when driven with the same portable setups, is not worth the extra 1K, IMO. However with the proper desktop amp (the two mentioned above are just examples but definitely not meant to be exclusive), I think the difference between 2 and 3 is well worth the extra 1K, IMO.

The above is solely IMFO IMHO.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #78 of 210
Alert - The following is IMO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., ad nauseum...

Ahem. Audeze phones seem to prefer tubed amps. I got rid of my Violectric and retained my Lyr because while I respected the Vio, I preferred to party with the Schiit. Attending meets has reinforced this impression.

Tube rolling may result in anemia of the wallet, holy grail-level frustration and sonic nirvana if you are lucky and self-doubt if you are not.

I hope to receive my Mojlnir in the near future.

As to LCD2 vs. LCD3, since I got my 3s (3 months ago) the 2s (rev.2) haven't been out of their box.

Don't forget cabling. I like my Norse Audio Norn.

If you're thinking Stax, the difference in presentation is worth bearing in mind. I liken stats to watercolors, while orthos are more like oil paintings. Both beautiful in their way.

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #79 of 210
Fact:

LCD-2 + V200 = fantastic
LCD-3 + tube / brighter amp = fantastic

/fact/

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #80 of 210
Hey guys i really didnt want to start a new thread for this question so i thought i'd just post in this thread since its related to the LCD2 and 3.

I want to get one of the two headphones but im split. LCD2 is better for mainstream music since it doesnt reveal the mastering flaws as obvious as the LCD3 does. I suppose this is better for me since the majority of my music is mainstream. But the LCD3 is better in that it has better soundstaging , better presentation of music with good mastering, better bass extension, better comfort, etc

Pricing isn't too much of an issue because i'll be saving up for the headphone i want, it doesnt bother me how long it takes. My music is mainly mainstream modern music, such as hip hop, rnb, drum n bass, dubstep, pop, rock, house, dance. A lot of it has bad mastering. I do however own some albums with great mastering and i suppose the LCD3 will shine with these albums. 

I guess it boils down to how badly the LCD3 reveals the flaws in my music and how much it degrades from the experience. What do you recommend for me?

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #81 of 210
Quote:
Hey guys i really didnt want to start a new thread for this question so i thought i'd just post in this thread since its related to the LCD2 and 3.

I want to get one of the two headphones but im split. LCD2 is better for mainstream music since it doesnt reveal the mastering flaws as obvious as the LCD3 does. I suppose this is better for me since the majority of my music is mainstream. But the LCD3 is better in that it has better soundstaging , better presentation of music with good mastering, better bass extension, better comfort, etc

Pricing isn't too much of an issue because i'll be saving up for the headphone i want, it doesnt bother me how long it takes. My music is mainly mainstream modern music, such as hip hop, rnb, drum n bass, dubstep, pop, rock, house, dance. A lot of it has bad mastering. I do however own some albums with great mastering and i suppose the LCD3 will shine with these albums. 

I guess it boils down to how badly the LCD3 reveals the flaws in my music and how much it degrades from the experience. What do you recommend for me?

The LCD-3 isn't like HD800 in regards to completely trashing bad music. The LCD-3 is the better headphone overall
excluding worries of bad recordings. You'll most likely get a mix of opinion here, as this seems to have been discussed ad nauseam.

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #82 of 210
Quote:

Given your preference in music i would recommend you to go with the LCD-2. The LCD-2 is approximately 80% of the LCD-3 and half the cost. The LCD-2 is also easier to pair with average amps unlike the LCD-3 which is very dependent on source (i.e. you will need a top tier system to hear the LCD-3 at its full potential).

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #83 of 210
If this will be your first ortho, get the LCD-2.  You might not like the ortho thing.

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #84 of 210
These responses are what i feared yet what i expected. The mix of opinion is what keeps me from deciding. 

Quote:
The LCD-3 isn't like HD800 in regards to completely trashing bad music. The LCD-3 is the better headphone overall
excluding worries of bad recordings. You'll most likely get a mix of opinion here, as this seems to have been discussed ad nauseam.

That's good to hear. I feared my library would be a bad match for the LCD3.

Given your preference in music i would recommend you to go with the LCD-2. The LCD-2 is approximately 80% of the LCD-3 and half the cost. The LCD-2 is also easier to pair with average amps unlike the LCD-3 which is very dependent on source (i.e. you will need a top tier system to hear the LCD-3 at its full potential).

Why would you choose the LCD2 given my preference in music? Is it because the LCD2 are better with my type of music or because the LCD3s are just bad with it? Paradoxper says that they dont completely trash bad recordings, but does that mean it somewhat trashes them, or they're just ok with them. Sorry for pressing the issue, it's just that i feel my decision on which headphone to get comes down to this matter.

Rest assured, if i buy a 2000$ headphone, i wont pair it with an average amp 
wink_face.gif
. Im thinking Woo Audio WA22..

Quote:
If this will be your first ortho, get the LCD-2.  You might not like the ortho thing.

These will indeed be my first orthos, but that's not to say i dont have any idea of how they will sound. Simply by reading impressions on this forum for the last few moths i've formed a good idea of what to expect in terms of sound signature and im pretty sure Audeze is just the type im looking for. With that said i would be willing to take the plunge on the LCD3 without fear that i may not like it in the end, because im pretty sure i will 
wink.gif

As you guys can tell from my posts, i really want the LCD3 to be the headphone for me. I have this kind of complex where i wont settle for anything but the best and i know if i get the LCD2 i'll always feel like im one step lower than the LCD3.

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #88 of 210
While we're at it.  Where does the EC Balancing Act paired with the LCDs stack up?

My impression isn't worth much but Moostrkraaft has (had?) a BA/LCD-3 setup at the Village meet that had the most club-like slam I've ever heard from a headphone setup. It seriously rocked.

Well beav, what do you do when the LCD-4s come out?
Any confirmation on a reveal at the October CanJam@RMAF?

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #89 of 210
Quote:
These will indeed be my first orthos, but that's not to say i dont have any idea of how they will sound. Simply by reading impressions on this forum for the last few moths i've formed a good idea of what to expect in terms of sound signature and im pretty sure Audeze is just the type im looking for. With that said i would be willing to take the plunge on the LCD3 without fear that i may not like it in the end, because im pretty sure i will 
wink.gif

As you guys can tell from my posts, i really want the LCD3 to be the headphone for me. I have this kind of complex where i wont settle for anything but the best and i know if i get the LCD2 i'll always feel like im one step lower than the LCD3.

By all means, if the LCD3 is what your heart desires - go get'em!
I honestly don't think you will be disappointed - however as others have stated, a quality front end will be required to get good results out of these headphones.

I made the mistake early on thinking the LCD3 would easily match with the gear I already had (gear which happens to pair wonderfully with the HD800).
Needless to say, within a week of owning the LCD3 I was on the net ordering a new amp (Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire).
The improvement is obvious and becomes quite a bit more so with upgraded tubes, quality cabling, and other tweaks.

My experience with the LCD2 is that it is also a very good headphone.
It perhaps doesn't require as much commitment to get the best out of it, but at the same time - to me, it lacks that special quality that the LCD3 has when done right.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #90 of 210
Quote:
Why would you choose the LCD2 given my preference in music? Is it because the LCD2 are better with my type of music or because the LCD3s are just bad with it? Paradoxper says that they dont completely trash bad recordings, but does that mean it somewhat trashes them, or they're just ok with them. Sorry for pressing the issue, it's just that i feel my decision on which headphone to get comes down to this matter.

Rest assured, if i buy a 2000$ headphone, i wont pair it with an average amp 
wink_face.gif
. Im thinking Woo Audio WA22..

You mentioned that your preference in music are along the lines of mainstream music such as hip hop, rnb, drum n bass, dubstep, pop, rock, house, dance which you also agree do not have the best mastering altogether. Mainstream music are typically produced to sound good over the radio (i.e. excessive treble, muddy bass, etc). Hence, I suggested the LCD-2 as, given your preference for mainstream music, you will not need a more resolving headphone as it will not sound any better. Hence, the LCD-2 is more than sufficient for your current requirements. However, if you intend to listen to more resolving and HD tracks in future, then you can consider the LCD-3.

I have the WA22 paired with the LCD-3 and they are an excellent combo (with the right tubes of course).

For now, I would advise you to settle for something which your budget allows. If you want to go with the LCD-3 and top tier amps, be prepared to spend north of $6000 (at least - for quality amp / dacs / tubes). Anything less and you will not notice much of a difference between the LCD-2 and LCD-3. Just my humble opinion of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back