Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot?
Jul 21, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #32 of 210
To each their own and music taste has a lot to do with it but...

LCD-2 w/ B22 is better than O2 MkI w/ KGSS and cheaper :wink:  I dropped my O2MkI/KGSS for a Rev1 and 2 channel B22.  Hate to see how fast I would have decided if it was the LCD-3 and Peak instead :D

It has to be a taste issue, to me the O2 outclasses the LCD-2 (and 3) hands down. Personally, I'd take the STAX w/WEE+stereo amp over any of the Audeze `phones.

Used HE-6 & $500 speaker amp. :D

That would be a winner too. :)

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #34 of 210
Quote:
I hate to piggyback but I have to agree with Solude. I owned that exact combo of an O2 mk1 and The Woo GES. It was really good with a lot of things (clarity, tonality, imaging) but lacked dynamic impact. (either not enough power from the GES or just a limitation of the O2).

For that kind of serious money (just under 3k used), I would rather have the LCD3 and a really good amp. or, if looking for a brighter, more spatious sound, the HD800.

Quote:
To each their own and music taste has a lot to do with it but...

LCD-2 w/ B22 is better than O2 MkI w/ KGSS and cheaper :wink:  I dropped my O2MkI/KGSS for a Rev1 and 2 channel B22.  Hate to see how fast I would have decided if it was the LCD-3 and Peak instead :D

You can add me to this list as well. IMO, both the LCD-2r2 and especially the LCD-3 outclass the SR007s (never quite sounded "right" to my ears).

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #35 of 210
You can add me to this list as well. IMO, both the LCD-2r2 and especially the LCD-3 outclass the SR007s (never quite sounded "right" to my ears).

I've not heard an LCD-2 or 3 that sounded "right" either. *shrug*

OP, another option is the Koss ESP/950. Less than $700 gets you a fantastic set of stats with a pretty decent amp. Add a STAX cable adapter for relatively little cash and you'd have even more amps to choose from.

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #36 of 210
I've not heard an LCD-2 or 3 that sounded "right" either. *shrug*
OP, another option is the Koss ESP/950. Less than $700 gets you a fantastic set of stats with a pretty decent amp. Add a STAX cable adapter for relatively little cash and you'd have even more amps to choose from.

You might want to read the topic of this thread. :wink:

FWIW, I've yet to hear any estat (headphone or speaker) sound real.

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #37 of 210
You might want to read the topic of this thread. :wink:

I did. Just pointing out other options, I figured there wasn't any harm in that.

FWIW, I've yet to hear any estat (headphone or speaker) sound real.

That's unfortunate, the 009 + WES is drop-dead stunning.

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #38 of 210
I did. Just pointing out other options, I figured there wasn't any harm in that.
That's unfortunate, the 009 + WES is drop-dead stunning.

I do hold out hope for the SR009 though....still on my "must hear soon" list.

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #40 of 210
Just tossing my 2 cents-
Some prefer the LCD2s over the LCD3s but most prefer the LCD3s.  If possible listen to both, or at least read the comparisons to get a feel for which you'll prefer.  My thought is get the headphone with the sound signature you prefer and build around it.  You can always upgrade a source/amp, but if you have to replace headphones, you'll probably have to replace the whole setup because your old source/amp won't maximize your new headphone.

I recently got LCD-3s and I'm trying to build my setup in phases.  There is supposed to be great synergy between them and the alo rx-mk3b, which is a $650 amp and soon to bemy next purchase.  I figure it'll hold me over until I do the research/can spend the megabucks on a premiere amp, and when I resell it, I won't lose too much because its not super expensive in the 1st place, and should be in high demand (it's gotten a lot of really good reviews).

My $.02

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #41 of 210
I would go for the LCD-2 with more expensive amp. The LCD-2 is a great sounding phone and you'll appreciate it more with a great amp. If the urge to upgrade to the LCD-3 hits in the future, you'll be ready.

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #42 of 210
Everybody, thank you for all the input.  Seems like LCD-3 seems to be getting the vote.  I truly appreciate all the input/advice.  I totally agree that in an ideal world I would be able to listen to as many combos as possible before buying.  But unfortunately, there aren't many options where I live in Florida.  I had planned to head to CanJam last year, but family/work intervened.  So I have spent the last 6 months reading and learning.  I feel strongly that my listening bias will fit nicely in the Audeze family. 

At this point, I have taken one part out the equation.  I joined the "Pre-Order" for the Schiit Mjolnir.  At $750 it was just too tempting to not try.  I figured if doesn't work out it will quickly disappear in the classifieds.  Also I suspect we will get some quick feedback from fellow board members about how they compare to the other options many other people have mentioned in this thread.  And finally it will be a good preview of what Schiit's statement amp might be like.

It will also let me take advantage of The Cable Co lending problem (big thanks to Gary, did not know about that).  Hopefully I can get the LCD-2 and LCD-3 at the house at the same time and let them battle it out.  Cable Co prices seem to be in line with everybody else, so the 5% deposit is no real penalty.

Speaking of CanJam, any idea if this will happen with RMAF this year?

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #43 of 210
The Mjolnir could very well wipe the floor with a ton of amps.  Guess we'll know very soon.  I'm hoping to get in on the post pre-order batch.  Need to clear some inventory first :wink:

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #44 of 210
The Mjolnir could very well wipe the floor with a ton of amps.  Guess we'll know very soon.  I'm hoping to get in on the post pre-order batch.  Need to clear some inventory first :wink:

I have read through a lot of your amp posts and honestly that's who I was thinking of. I figured you would get ahold of one soon and let us know how they compare :)

And the idea of a future version that will let you switch from pure ss to hybrid tube/ss really piques my interest. I figured the mjolnir will let try the house sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkh

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #45 of 210
Edit: Changing my post in order to meet nigeljames's thread post specifications, as dictated in the below post.

Yes it pisses me off when someone declares a certain amp as being the absolute best for a particular phone.
Even if that person had heard ALL the contenders it would still only be their opinion in one system. My Master-6 is stunning with the LCD2.2 but I am not going to say its the best.

IMO, If it's an LCD-3 you're after, IMO you won't find a better amp than the Cavalli Liquid Fire to drive it, IMO.  IMO, the rub is, MSRP is over $3k.  IMO, If you can find both the headphones and the amp used, you might be able to scrape by for just under $4k, IMO.

IMO, I'm with Currawong IMO.  IMO, I'd extend the budget a bit IMO.  IMO, it's worth it IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back