Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Oct 30, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #6,061 of 7,335
That "tss" sound is sibilance, and it's made up of many frequencies - it's a form white noise basically and you're not going to get rid of it with EQ alone.

You'll need some kind of de-esser plugin in your audio chain, but that's not recommended as de-essers are designed to work on a pure vocal track and will likely have a negative affect on a fully mixed track.

However https://thehomerecordings.com/de-esser-vst-au-plugins/ has a list of de-essers you might want to try including "Lisp" which is free.

Thanks for that. LISP VST is pretty cool!

I ended up just lowering 12k hz a bit and it reduced the annoying "tss" for me quite a lot. Will play around with Lisp a little more to see if it achieves a good result.
Finally happy with these.

Nov 1, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #6,063 of 7,335
I've been using my LCD2-C with Roon and my Modius/Asgard 3 stack for the past several days. It's been great. Using low gain since I don't get enough volume control with high gain. I'm also using the Audeze LCD-2C preset in Roon to balance things out a bit.

Sounds like a great little setup. The LCD-2Cs definitely don't require as much power as other planars out there so low gain is great for them (esp for the crazy power an Asgard 3 can put out for its price)

Nov 1, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #6,064 of 7,335
Currently using a few EQ presets by the usual people like oratory1990 etc, but I can't pin point the frequency which I can tweak to remove/reduce the "tss" sound that I get from some vocals. Any tips?
A multibit dac/amp.

Nov 17, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #6,067 of 7,335
Has anyone listened to both these and the old Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs? I've currently got a pair of the MD's and generally like the sound, but have always wondered what I might get by going "the next step up" so to speak and the classics are on my list. I definitely am not a detail freak and prefer a more relaxed presentation, but I keep reading that the LCD's typically need EQ to sound their best and in many ways the upper mids and highs are almost lost which has me a bit concerned as I don't think I feel that way about the MD's.

Nov 17, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #6,068 of 7,335
Has anyone listened to both these and the old Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs? I've currently got a pair of the MD's and generally like the sound, but have always wondered what I might get by going "the next step up" so to speak and the classics are on my list. I definitely am not a detail freak and prefer a more relaxed presentation, but I keep reading that the LCD's typically need EQ to sound their best and in many ways the upper mids and highs are almost lost which has me a bit concerned as I don't think I feel that way about the MD's.
I have both the LCD-2Cs and Mad Dog 3.2s. I enjoy the Mad Dogs but for me there's just more there when listening to the LCD-2Cs. More weight and excitement without making me cringe with too much treble. I use the Audeze EQ preset sometimes but haven't decided if I really need it. I listen mostly to rock, pop and some electronic music and these headphones are really enjoyable. If your goal is to squeeze every detail out of well recorded classical music you might want to look elsewhere - after giving these a shot. I listen to enjoy music and get lost in it and I do so for hours at a time - especially during pandemic.

Previously I gave up on AKG 701's which had amazing soundstage but not enough bass energy or excitement. I did like the K550s, the Sure 840s and the Audeze EL8s but the only headphones that have been a constant are the Mad Dogs which are now playing second seat to the LCD-2Cs. Recently added a Bifrost 2, Asgard 3 and just yesterday a new Vali 2+ for a tube experience. Won't be looking to add any new headphones to the mix because I'm satisfied with what I have. Hope my experience and opinions help.

Nov 17, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #6,069 of 7,335
I have both the LCD-2Cs and Mad Dog 3.2s. I enjoy the Mad Dogs but for me there's just more there when listening to the LCD-2Cs. More weight and excitement without making me cringe with too much treble. I use the Audeze EQ preset sometimes but haven't decided if I really need it. I listen mostly to rock, pop and some electronic music and these headphones are really enjoyable. If your goal is to squeeze every detail out of well recorded classical music you might want to look elsewhere - after giving these a shot. I listen to enjoy music and get lost in it and I do so for hours at a time - especially during pandemic.

Thanks mbritt! I think your comment about cringing with too much treble and being "lost in the music" is really what I'm after in the end. I'm definitely not a detail head and ended up selling my BD880's for some Denon 2000's and then subsequently the MD's a long time ago because I thought the DT880's presentation while detailed was a bit "dry" and clinical which made me only want to listen for an album or two. The 2000's were a "fun" can, but the MD's speed while still delivering that low end punch that the Denon's had was what made me keep them. I listen to many different type of genre's, but I would say classical music is one of my least listened to. My biggest concern with the LCD2's are with so many people saying the treble is noticeably rolled off and I'm not so much of a bass head that I don't care at all about treble if that makes any sense.

Oh I'm using the Schiit Magni for amplification of my MD's and an Eastern Electric Minimax DAC as my DAC when listening to the cans in my main rig. For PC use, I need to find a little less expensive DAC.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #6,070 of 7,335
Thanks mbritt! I think your comment about cringing with too much treble and being "lost in the music" is really what I'm after in the end. I'm definitely not a detail head and ended up selling my BD880's for some Denon 2000's and then subsequently the MD's a long time ago because I thought the DT880's presentation while detailed was a bit "dry" and clinical which made me only want to listen for an album or two. The 2000's were a "fun" can, but the MD's speed while still delivering that low end punch that the Denon's had was what made me keep them. I listen to many different type of genre's, but I would say classical music is one of my least listened to. My biggest concern with the LCD2's are with so many people saying the treble is noticeably rolled off and I'm not so much of a bass head that I don't care at all about treble if that makes any sense.

Oh I'm using the Schiit Magni for amplification of my MD's and an Eastern Electric Minimax DAC as my DAC when listening to the cans in my main rig. For PC use, I need to find a little less expensive DAC.
I paired the Modi Multibit with the Vali 2+ for a fun little stack. To me the modi Multi is great with the LCD-2Cs. It really gives some weight to the bass. I'm a fan of the R2R/Ladder DAC sound.

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #6,072 of 7,335
Bought the LCD2Cs awhile ago, I think my love with them was short lived. They now sit in the box that they came in, such a shame. They are probably abit too heavy for me. Should've probs tried them at a store before buying online :/

Nov 23, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #6,074 of 7,335
Audeze started their Black Friday sale today.

I bought a pair of B-Unit LCD-2 Classic's for $495.00.
Pretty psyched! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #6,075 of 7,335
Audeze started their Black Friday sale today.

I bought a pair of B-Unit LCD-2 Classic's for $495.00.
Pretty psched! :thumbsup:
These prices are nuts.
Congratz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back