Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #6,031 of 7,334
If you want the crinkling gone you can buy other pads for them, the Dekoni velour's fore example don't have that tissue at all. If you are using stock pads, I would highly recommend using Audezes Reaveal+ with the wet setting to 100%, I know you cant get it on your work PC but definitely try it on your home setup if you have one. Its worth trying :]

As far as the bass, I would say its really high quality but not as punchy as many dynamics. Though the more I EQ the bass specifically, the more I am getting close and closer to both keeping the quality of the planar bass and regaining that punch dynamics have. Don't be afraid to EQ the bass up if you want more of a punch, this headphone handles it so so so well.

Welcome to the club and enjoy! These are high quality headphones with lots of tweaking potential from the headband, to the earpads, EQ, grill, fazor mods, etc.

Sep 21, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #6,032 of 7,334
Yea, they really start thumping with EQ.

I find the pressure thing so interesting, how some people don't even notice it or experience it. I have the suede pads which seems like they would give less of a seal than the stock pads. @Bboy500 is that true? I'm guessing velour has less seal, followed by suede, then leather stock.

However, my friend tried my LCD2Cs first with the Suede pads and said he couldn't wear them for more than a minute because of the seal. I was worried because I have really sensative earrums, but in the end didn't notice the seal and it was similar to my front planar Mr Speaker Aeons. I think it has something to do with head size?

Sep 21, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #6,033 of 7,334
Yea, they really start thumping with EQ.

I find the pressure thing so interesting, how some people don't even notice it or experience it. I have the suede pads which seems like they would give less of a seal than the stock pads. @Bboy500 is that true? I'm guessing velour has less seal, followed by suede, then leather stock.

However, my friend tried my LCD2Cs first with the Suede pads and said he couldn't wear them for more than a minute because of the seal. I was worried because I have really sensative earrums, but in the end didn't notice the seal and it was similar to my front planar Mr Speaker Aeons. I think it has something to do with head size?

That is correct, the suede have a noticable seal (though less then the original pads) whereas the velour have none at all.

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #6,035 of 7,334
Did it seem like velours boosted the mids? I find my LCD2C to have some pretty forward mids, not 6XX type mids, but definately smooth and forward.

It did, my LCD2 classics with the original pads had very recessed mids, it was the #1 reason I got the velours despite knowing some of the bass would be lost.

And it was worth it :) Much easier to EQ bass back up then the mids.

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #6,036 of 7,334
It did, my LCD2 classics with the original pads had very recessed mids, it was the #1 reason I got the velours despite knowing some of the bass would be lost.

And it was worth it :) Much easier to EQ bass back up then the mids.

Gotcha, yea I really enjoy that slightly forward mids. Especially with how good they sound.

Good stuff!

Sep 22, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #6,037 of 7,334
Hi all - I just got my LCD2Cs this weekend from a fellow Head-fi'er and have had a day and a night with them. I'd heard such mixed opinions on them - all generally 'good', but different takes on their bass levels, particularly deep vs mid-bass) that I was hesitant to take an LCD2 detour on my planned Aeolus path. I'd read some reviews that said these were way to bloomy and bassy, and others that were disappointed by their bass (ie Headphonesty's, which said "The [LCD2] are not for basshead, but I’m not sure they could even satisfy people looking for above average impact, despite the superb extension.").

I prefer a warm, liquid, bassy sound signature so I wasn't sure what I was getting but I figure I should learn, and if I didn't like them I could sell them off and put that towards the Aeolus. I recently sold my Nighthawks, which I thought were great but I just didn't love enough to compete for head time. I read a review that said the LCD2Cs were the successful implementation of what the Nighthawks wanted to be, and I actually agree with that quite a bit.

I wanted an open-back to pair with my EMU Teaks, which has the full Lawton mods (Lawton cups with both cup & driver dampening).
I've tried them with the following gear:
Modius, with:
  • THX-789
  • Little Dot Mk2
  • Bravo Ocean
Modi Multibit/EITR, with:
  • Magni Heresy
  • DarkVoice 336SE
First, the bass is just very different from the EMUs. I think its a dynamic vs planar driver difference, which is the root of why I think various people call this both a) overly bassy and b) not bassy enough. This what I would consider a lot of planar bass - punchy more than thick, sub-bass rumble more than mid-bass warmth. High quality (amazingly high quality) but just not the enveloping, wet and warm bass I get from those EMUs (and I assume the other Fostex/Denon lines). Maybe the best way to frame it is "equal but different".

My favorite pairing so far is with the Tubes - particularly the DarkVoice and (surprisingly to me) the Bravo Ocean. On the Bravo, the separation and clarity was amazing, whereas the THX feels a little smoothed over overall. I have never found the Bravo to be my favorite at anything, so this may be a first (maybe because its a relatively powerful Class A amp).

I listen either on my work laptop (the Modius setup) or my iPad/iPhone (the Mimby setup). Work won't give me my Admin pw, so I am unable to use any software EQ, including Reveal+, so I'm kinda pissed off at not being able to hear them through that. Is there any way to use Reveal+ on an iPad?

The seal is crazy, and makes me feel like I'm underwater with some sort of pressurized helmet. It's such a powerful seal that it makes me feel a little dizzy sometimes, when I get the wobbly crinkle. I can feel it in my eardrum. It's nothing toooo crazy, but it really does make listening to them feel like an immersive experience. Fit is nice, I don't find them too heavy, but they do have a lot of clamp for me (I have a big head and they sizing screws (?) are fully expanded. The weight is very equally distributed but I do hope that clamp tones itself down as I stretch them out from standard wear.

That brings me to the one drawback, I think - that crinkle has me so paranoid about repositioning or perfecting the seal that I baby them and feel a little nervous listening to them. I also have the Sundaras (which are basically just so different that I think I'll keep them as a brighter counterpart, though I've been tempted to sell them now) but the Sundaras don't have that seal issue/feature and I just feel like I can reposition without any worries.

I've looked all over but I don't see any "care and feeding"-type instructions for the LCD2Cs - I've seen all the warnings about sealing/resealing under the pressurized seal, but is there any guidelines for not f'ing these up? They're only a month into warranty so I'm not too worried about having to go down the warranty path but its like a nagging little bird sitting on my shoulder.
I had the E-MU Teaks arrive a few weeks ago. I can't keep them off my head, phenomenal headphone. They make the LCD-2 Classic feel dry, weak in the bass in comparison. Low notes are thunderous on the Teak. Vocal timbre, presence detail is superior on the teaks too. Great phone and surprised it's not more popular. I'm a massive Denon D7000 fan and the teak have the magic of those phones.

The crinkle is due to the seal, Audeze phones operate more like a semi closed phone, they rely on seal for the low bass. Adding valor pads can fix the crinkle but naturally you will lose low bass presence.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #6,038 of 7,334
I had the E-MU Teaks arrive a few weeks ago. I can't keep them off my head, phenomenal headphone. They make the LCD-2 Classic feel dry, weak in the bass in comparison. Low notes are thunderous on the Teak. Vocal timbre, presence detail is superior on the teaks too. Great phone and surprised it's not more popular. I'm a massive Denon D7000 fan and the teak have the magic of those phones.

The crinkle is due to the seal, Audeze phones operate more like a semi closed phone, they rely on seal for the low bass. Adding valor pads can fix the crinkle but naturally you will lose low bass presence.
According to audeze that crinkle seal thing is normal and nothing to be concerned about. But put them on and take them off gently, Don't just quickly pull them off. That's what I do and I've had no problem; although some people might not like that quasi vacuum seal.

Sep 24, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #6,039 of 7,334
Hi, I have a question. Do planars also vibrate?
My headphones are HD6XX. When I listen to bass heavy music, the drivers literally vibrate in my ears. I never liked that and I am starting hate that (may be it's an age thing).
I had LCD2C for while but sold them only due one thing weight, but I don't remember if they also did the same thing.
After doing so much research I came to a conclusion that it is the only headphones that fits my taste. So, I have decided to buy them again.

Sep 24, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #6,040 of 7,334
My headphones are HD6XX. When I listen to bass heavy music, the drivers literally vibrate in my ears. I never liked that and I am starting hate that (may be it's an age thing).
I had LCD2C for while but sold them only due one thing weight, but I don't remember if they also did the same thing.
After doing so much research I came to a conclusion that it is the only headphones that fits my taste. So, I have decided to buy them again.

Nope, my experience is with no EQ is they do not have that vibration / mid bass that something like a 6XX. However you can EQ that in for sure, if you want that in some tracks. Stock FR the bass is very clean, detailed but doesn't boom or rattle.

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #6,041 of 7,334
I just picked these up and I’m definitely liking the warmer tone (compared to my other main cans) of these to compliment them! Even tho the he4xx are plannars as well they sound nothing alike.. I’d say they sounded like a slightly warmer T1.2 without the beyer treble.. 181B3910-EE35-4037-A587-B615334002CA.jpeg19C627C5-FD89-4F84-A56F-B25B86B699EB.jpeg

Oct 5, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #6,042 of 7,334
I listen to a lot of electronic music and I have not experienced any vibration with my LCD2C paired with the AAA789. I also own the HD6XX and disliked the vibration as well.

Oct 9, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #6,043 of 7,334
Just bought a pair on Amazon. Quick question: these headphones come with a cable that terminates in a 1/4"/6.35mm - can you buy a XLR adaptor, and would it be still balanced? Come to think of it, is the stock cable with these headphones balanced even?

I only ask because my amp has better circuitry on the XLR out stage, so I'd like to try it at least.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #6,044 of 7,334
I listen to a lot of electronic music and I have not experienced any vibration with my LCD2C paired with the AAA789. I also own the HD6XX and disliked the vibration as well.
That vibration is a result of the seal. I get it too. Do you have a large head? Consensus seems to be that the larger your head, the greater the seal. The vibration feels strange to me, but not unpleasant. To me it signifies that I'm strapping in to an audio adventure ride, it's a very aggressive feeling to me, versus my EMU Teak's very laid back and smooth, mid-bass focused experience.

I recently bought some Stax Lambda NBs though, and having problems returning to the LCD2Cs. Aside from less sub-bass, it just out-'planars' these, with no distortion anywhere. Does anyone else have Stax to compare to these?

Oct 11, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #6,045 of 7,334
For those who bought an Asgard 3 to use with their LCD-2C, how is it working? Is anyone using the pre-out's to go to a stereo amp? I have a Peachtree amp on my desktop that I love but it only works as a preamp when the speaker cables are unplugged - which is a pain. So I'm thinking about getting an Asgard 3 to pair with my Modi Multibit, passing through to the Peachtree for speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back