Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
May 12, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #5,776 of 7,334
Thanks for your honest answer. Maybe an lcd i3 would be better for me
If you're able to use the Cipher cable with the i3 instead of the standard cable, then maybe. If not, I'd look for good amplification for the LCD-2 Classics.

May 17, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #5,777 of 7,334
7AD5CA08-D873-4946-AF31-44BA10C8AD1E.jpeg

Can’t think of a better way to begin my Sunday than listening to the Esoteric SACD of Clifford Curzon playing Mozart’s piano Concertos #595 & 466 with the English Chamber Orchestra under the baton of Benjamin Britton. While Curzon held up the release of K595 (due to his having discovered new ways to play it - not because there was anything wrong with it, just not his latest interpretation), he finally relented. What a wonderful piece. If he had a better way to play it, it really sad that illness and death prevented him from recording those new versions. But I can happily live with this. The sound is exquisite, the playing sublime, and the enjoyment is through the roof. Listening to this through my Oppo HA-1 headphone amp into my Audeze LCD-2C headphones is a treat I can’t recommend highly enough. I am there. I can’t thank Ray Kimber enough for selling me one of his last copies at CES a number of years ago, it’s become one of my most treasured discs. You’ll have to search for it, and be prepared to pay if you want a copy. But if you love Mozart (as I do), it’ll be worth it. My highest recommendation.

May 17, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #5,778 of 7,334
Just got mine an hour ago. Not bothering with burn in..but.....I'm freaking crying right now listening to them.... I've think I have hit my end-game.The song that did it was Arvo Part - Tabula rasa: I. Ludus. con moto.
IMG_1817.jpeg

(Hifiman He-400is were just replaced by these)

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #5,779 of 7,334
Just got mine an hour ago. Not bothering with burn in..but.....I'm freaking crying right now listening to them.... I've think I have hit my end-game.The song that did it was Arvo Part - Tabula rasa: I. Ludus. con moto.
IMG_1817.jpeg

(Hifiman He-400is were just replaced by these)

They are my end game phones. Love the sound.

May 17, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #5,780 of 7,334
They are my end game phones. Love the sound.

I've yet to give them the Doom Eternal test, as I've gotten the LCD-2Cs with the Microphone cable and Schiit Fulla 3. They're replacing a set of Plantronics RIG-800 and Audeze Mobius before that. But I'm hoping to have a close enough experience to what I had with the Mobius. I've come to learn that I prefer open-back to close-back for Planar.

Now I just need wait for my digital calibers and work up the nerve to pop off the grill of the LCDs to get a thickness measurement so that I can see about making something custom for them....

May 18, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #5,781 of 7,334
I've owned my LCD2Cs since they were initially launched and I have always thought that their bass was underwhelming but attributed that to a personal preference since the consensus opinion is that it's pretty great. I recently picked up some Sony MDR-1AM2s to have something lighter and more comfortable for long periods of use and I have to say the difference is in sound is quite jarring. The LCDs sound clearer but also totally anemic with bass-ey music by comparison. I know the LCD2Cs aren't meant to rattle your head with bass and that the Sonys are definitely overly warm, but to get them to match the Sonys I have to EQ everything below about 80hz to like +6DB or more and without doing so they can sound kind of pathetic and even shrill. Is that normal..? Since I bought them during the early production run, a part of me has always wondered if mine were under-performing. Using them with a schiit stack.

May 19, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #5,782 of 7,334
What schiit stack exactly?

May 19, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #5,783 of 7,334
I've owned my LCD2Cs since they were initially launched and I have always thought that their bass was underwhelming but attributed that to a personal preference since the consensus opinion is that it's pretty great. I recently picked up some Sony MDR-1AM2s to have something lighter and more comfortable for long periods of use and I have to say the difference is in sound is quite jarring. The LCDs sound clearer but also totally anemic with bass-ey music by comparison. I know the LCD2Cs aren't meant to rattle your head with bass and that the Sonys are definitely overly warm, but to get them to match the Sonys I have to EQ everything below about 80hz to like +6DB or more and without doing so they can sound kind of pathetic and even shrill. Is that normal..? Since I bought them during the early production run, a part of me has always wondered if mine were under-performing. Using them with a schiit stack.
High gain amp switch at lower dial point vs low gain at higher dial point on volume pot usually take care of that perceived lack of attack/subs extension/tightness of delivery.

May 19, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #5,785 of 7,334
Are you saying to switch to high gain?
Yes, I know current flow headroom is the main thing for feeding planars vs voltage for dynamics ...but I've seen similar comments in X thread after flipping on high gain.

May 19, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #5,786 of 7,334
What schiit stack exactly?
magni modi multibit

High gain amp switch at lower dial point vs low gain at higher dial point on volume pot usually take care of that perceived lack of attack/subs extension/tightness of delivery.

As in there should be better performance at high volume on low gain? That's what I've always done because my amp tends to not play in the right ear properly at low volume dial points.

May 19, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #5,787 of 7,334
magni modi multibit

As in there should be better performance at high volume on low gain? That's what I've always done because my amp tends to not play in the right ear properly at low volume dial points.

I think it is probably not enough amp but from reading the specs I'm not sure there is enough info. Maybe somebody else knows.

May 19, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #5,788 of 7,334
Schiit amps have an imbalance at lower volumes, but this is normally lower than typical listening levels. The magni is plenty of power for the LCD-2's but in my opinion it isn't the best best as the LCD-2 classic in particular has some sharp peaks in the treble and is a bit gritty that the magni doesn't hide very well. The Asgard 3 is a phenomenal match for the LCD-2's it's a combo I think everyone should try, best many amps in higher price ranges.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #5,790 of 7,334
I think it is probably not enough amp but from reading the specs I'm not sure there is enough info. Maybe somebody else knows.
If you are used to an elevated mid-bass like your Sony, you might feel initially that the flat Audeze bass is 'less'. I think your Schiit stack should drive the 2C well enough, although they improve with better amps/more power. I would say, give a few days exclusively to the 2C (don't listen to any other headphones) and see if your brain adjusts. The 2C has a strong and punchy bass that extends well, but it is more linear than the bass presentation of most dynamic drivers. Dynamic drivers in general roll off in the sub-bass (below 80Hz) and have an emphasised mid-bass. Most (good) planar drivers extend to 20-30Hz without any roll off and at the same time they don't emphasise anything in the mid-bass. Some people prefer this, some people prefer that. To me in general (good) planar bass is cleaner and higher quality with better punch due to the sub-bass presence and linear presentation, but some others enjoy the extra mid-bass quantity of dynamic drivers more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back