Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
May 7, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #5,761 of 7,335
They are a great pair of cans with no obvious weak spots for most types of music. Great all 'rounders.

May 7, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #5,762 of 7,335
It does, thanks.

I first heard the LCD-2 about 5-7 years ago. It was my first listen to a "serious" high end headphone and also as it turns out was the first planar headphone I ever heard. I was blown away how amazing a headphone could sound but I couldn't afford the asking price at that time. Instead I ended up buying from this retailer a used pair of the Hifiman HE-500's which was more affordable. I still own it and enjoy it. The LCD-2C is a really great sounding headphone but doesn't have the bass that the LCD-2 had back then (according to my aged memory). So I was simply wondering how the current LCD-2 and current LCD-2C compare.

Anyway I slice it, I am extremely happy with my LCD-2C. Once the Covid-19 crisis is over and we can go out and visit an Audeze retailer again I will do an actual comparison between these 2 headphones and also the LCD-X. Thanks again for your input. Rock ON!!
Bass is identical. The older LCD-2's depending on the grade had slightly more heft, more warm, engaging. Good 2C drivers are more responsive, quicker, more leading edge. Think trading in some of the LCD-2's warmth and body for some speed and acceleration. Nothing sounds like an old LCD-2 that headphone was just so damn nice to listen to.

May 8, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #5,763 of 7,335
With the right dac/amp pairing these headphones have exceptionally punchy and focused bass/sound. For someone like me this quality can outweigh other more objectively preferred sound qualities like spaciousness and air, or even lifelikeness if you mostly listen to electronic music. Just saying. Bargain headphones for £599 new.

May 8, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #5,764 of 7,335
With the right dac/amp pairing these headphones have exceptionally punchy and focused bass/sound. For someone like me this quality can outweigh other more objectively preferred sound qualities like spaciousness and air, or even lifelikeness if you mostly listen to electronic music. Just saying. Bargain headphones for £599 new.
Are they that cheap in your Country?

May 8, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #5,765 of 7,335
Are they that cheap in your Country?
Yes, in the UK you can still find them for £599. Although most places sell it for £649. With special discount you can even find them for £549. In fact I bought one of my previous LCD2Cs for £505 with a father's day discount. The price keeps going up though, on the continent it is more around £750. (And US $799)

May 8, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #5,766 of 7,335
Yes, in the UK you can still find them for £599. Although most places sell it for £649. With special discount you can even find them for £549. In fact I bought one of my previous LCD2Cs for £505 with a father's day discount. The price keeps going up though, on the continent it is more around £750. (And US $799)

Dayum at that price they might beat the Sundara in terms of cost efficiency.
In germany the usual price is 900€

May 8, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #5,767 of 7,335
Dayum at that price they might beat the Sundara in terms of cost efficiency.
In germany the usual price is 900€
I know. It is strange, the price remained so low in the UK. I was expecting a price jump here sooner.
Even for 900€ these are a good deal. For 680€ they are a real steal.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #5,768 of 7,335
and they are commonly being turned over for ~$500 usd here on the classifieds. I feel many of those selling these either have the persistent itch to 'upgrade', are just doing a catch and release to try something different, or they don't like the fit/weight. Mine probably aren't leaving me and I purchased them directly from Audeze when they were introduced. I find they sound excellent with my Bottlehead SEX.

May 9, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #5,769 of 7,335
and they are commonly being turned over for ~$500 usd here on the classifieds. I feel many of those selling these either have the persistent itch to 'upgrade', are just doing a catch and release to try something different, or they don't like the fit/weight. Mine probably aren't leaving me and I purchased them directly from Audeze when they were introduced. I find they sound excellent with my Bottlehead SEX.
I was like 2 months too late for the introduction price, but still got them nearly on release.

Can't Think of letting them go either.

May 9, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #5,770 of 7,335

Would have LOVED to see some selling for $500. Never happened (and I was looking for months. Felt fortunate to by mine from a guy who bought them, then realized he wanted LCD-2 Fazor's, so I goy mine, hardly used (he got then on a Wednesday and had them up for sale in Friday) for $600.

May 12, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #5,771 of 7,335
Would have LOVED to see some selling for $500. Never happened (and I was looking for months. Felt fortunate to by mine from a guy who bought them, then realized he wanted LCD-2 Fazor's, so I goy mine, hardly used (he got then on a Wednesday and had them up for sale in Friday) for $600.
Audeze was selling LCD-2 Classics B stock during the 2018 holidays for $549 and on 2019 Black Friday for $495 (that's when I got mine). I'd guess they'll have them again this year again with several of their other models.

May 12, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #5,772 of 7,335
Audeze was selling LCD-2 Classics B stock during the 2018 holidays for $549 and on 2019 Black Friday for $495 (that's when I got mine). I'd guess they'll have them again this year again with several of their other models.

Great deals. If I could have found them for that, I would have bought. Alas, I didn't know, and probably wouldn't have wanted to wait even if I had. I'm happy with my deal, and I LOVE having my LCD-2C's to listen to now.

May 12, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #5,773 of 7,335
Can you effectively use these headphones with a dap or do they need an amp?

May 12, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #5,774 of 7,335
Can you effectively use these headphones with a dap or do they need an amp?
Opinions will differ, but IMO they need a proper full size amp. To give you an example I tried them with Mojo (which is a great little DAC) and while the sound was ok and quite nice, bass was weak and rolled off compared to any full sized desktop gear I tried with the 2C. Dynamics will also improve.

May 12, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #5,775 of 7,335
Opinions will differ, but IMO they need a proper full size amp. To give you an example I tried them with Mojo (which is a great little DAC) and while the sound was ok and quite nice, bass was weak and rolled off compared to any full sized desktop gear I tried with the 2C. Dynamics will also improve.
Thanks for your honest answer. Maybe an lcd i3 would be better for me

Users who are viewing this thread

• dsrk
Back