Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
May 5, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #5,746 of 7,335
My LCD-2C's arrived today. Running them in now, but out of the box, they take me back to my time with the original LCD-2's I reviewed for The Audio Beat back in 2010 (God, has it really been 10 years???). Looking forward to listening over the next few days.

May 5, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #5,748 of 7,335
My LCD-2C's arrived today. Running them in now, but out of the box, they take me back to my time with the original LCD-2's I reviewed for The Audio Beat back in 2010 (God, has it really been 10 years???). Looking forward to listening over the next few days.
I would like to hear your thoughts on how similar/different they are from one another. Thanks.

May 6, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #5,753 of 7,335
Well, pulling out the discs I listened to way back when, reading the review (original notes long gone), I can make a few observations. First, I think the new LCD-2C's do bass better. Tighter, deeper, better defined. Vocals seem to be clearer, if maybe a touch more aded chestiness. Dynamics are equal. Highs on the 2C are a bit more rolled off, but it offers better detail retrieval and far better soundstage placement. In the non-sonic area, the LCD-2's were offered at $995. No carry case (but a lovely wooden box) while the C2's come in a cardboard box. The headband is worlds better on the 2C. The 2C weighs slightly less, and with that new headband makes it feel even lighter. Clamping is far less on the 2C. All in all pretty similar at the initial price. Now, you get more with the LCD-2 fazor's (no fazor on the original), but you pay for it too. The original LCD-2's sure looked expensive with the wood trim, but that wood offered its own set of problems later in life. The LCD-2C looks very nice, just not as fancy. And maybe most importantly, the cable on the 2C's is far and away better than that of the original. Keep in mind, the originals were the first planer headphone I'd heard, so how they sounded took me by storm, so carry that thought with you. I now own Maggie's again (1.7i, I had sold my old 1.6's before I reviewed the LCD-2) and can now honestly say the Audeze really does remind me of listening to my speakers. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #5,754 of 7,335
There's a treble issue with the LCD-2C? I guess the 2F has a very different sound.

May 6, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #5,756 of 7,335
There is a slight roll off above about 1000 Hz.

I got it. What I meant to respond to was about somebody who said the pads were good for taming the treble on his 2F in this 2C thread :wink:

Taming treble is not a response to rolloff. The LCD-2C is dark and warm, there is no treble to tame at least not on the pair I got.

May 6, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #5,757 of 7,335
Well, pulling out the discs I listened to way back when, reading the review (original notes long gone), I can make a few observations. First, I think the new LCD-2C's do bass better. Tighter, deeper, better defined. Vocals seem to be clearer, if maybe a touch more aded chestiness. Dynamics are equal. Highs on the 2C are a bit more rolled off, but it offers better detail retrieval and far better soundstage placement. In the non-sonic area, the LCD-2's were offered at $995. No carry case (but a lovely wooden box) while the C2's come in a cardboard box. The headband is worlds better on the 2C. The 2C weighs slightly less, and with that new headband makes it feel even lighter. Clamping is far less on the 2C. All in all pretty similar at the initial price. Now, you get more with the LCD-2 fazor's (no fazor on the original), but you pay for it too. The original LCD-2's sure looked expensive with the wood trim, but that wood offered its own set of problems later in life. The LCD-2C looks very nice, just not as fancy. And maybe most importantly, the cable on the 2C's is far and away better than that of the original. Keep in mind, the originals were the first planer headphone I'd heard, so how they sounded took me by storm, so carry that thought with you. I now own Maggie's again (1.7i, I had sold my old 1.6's before I reviewed the LCD-2) and can now honestly say the Audeze really does remind me of listening to my speakers. Hope this helps.

It does, thanks.

I first heard the LCD-2 about 5-7 years ago. It was my first listen to a "serious" high end headphone and also as it turns out was the first planar headphone I ever heard. I was blown away how amazing a headphone could sound but I couldn't afford the asking price at that time. Instead I ended up buying from this retailer a used pair of the Hifiman HE-500's which was more affordable. I still own it and enjoy it. The LCD-2C is a really great sounding headphone but doesn't have the bass that the LCD-2 had back then (according to my aged memory). So I was simply wondering how the current LCD-2 and current LCD-2C compare.

Anyway I slice it, I am extremely happy with my LCD-2C. Once the Covid-19 crisis is over and we can go out and visit an Audeze retailer again I will do an actual comparison between these 2 headphones and also the LCD-X. Thanks again for your input. Rock ON!!

May 6, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #5,758 of 7,335
It does, thanks.

I first heard the LCD-2 about 5-7 years ago. It was my first listen to a "serious" high end headphone and also as it turns out was the first planar headphone I ever heard. I was blown away how amazing a headphone could sound but I couldn't afford the asking price at that time. Instead I ended up buying from this retailer a used pair of the Hifiman HE-500's which was more affordable. I still own it and enjoy it. The LCD-2C is a really great sounding headphone but doesn't have the bass that the LCD-2 had back then (according to my aged memory). So I was simply wondering how the current LCD-2 and current LCD-2C compare.

Anyway I slice it, I am extremely happy with my LCD-2C. Once the Covid-19 crisis is over and we can go out and visit an Audeze retailer again I will do an actual comparison between these 2 headphones and also the LCD-X. Thanks again for your input. Rock ON!!

Do a YouTube search of the LCD-2C and watch Tyll's Innerfidelity review (). While not a comparison to the current LCD-2's, he gets the sound of the LCD-2C the way I hear them.

May 6, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #5,759 of 7,335
It does, thanks.

Also, in regards the bass, while I think (maybe - can't be any more positive as after 10 years - the old memories a bit hazy too), that the original LCD-2 had maybe a touch deeper bass response, the new LCD-2C's bass is cleaner, clearer, tighter and more defined - even if it is giving up a tad more depth. That's a trade-off I'll make any day. Like you, thus far (and I don't see it changing) I'm more than happy to be the proud owner of the new Audeze LCD-2C's. They mate perfectly with my Oppo HA-1 headphone amp, and remind me of the originals, while not be a complete carbon copy.

May 6, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #5,760 of 7,335
Sadly I parted with my LCD2.1
Loved them but will be stepping up soon into the 4z....if anyone needs I have a brand new head band and brand new ear pads

Attachments

• ED233C50-5976-4182-B7D5-7D42EE7496ED.jpeg
    ED233C50-5976-4182-B7D5-7D42EE7496ED.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 0D83C0FA-27A0-47A6-B57B-15BC0652A7DA.jpeg
    0D83C0FA-27A0-47A6-B57B-15BC0652A7DA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back