Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #4,231 of 7,335
Well the DT1990’s are definitely on my list. I am just mad I missed some of the recent sales where they were going for as little as $399. Generally used they still command a high price. So when I see another sale I will get a pair. I just want to experience some great planers. I have Martin Logan’s speakers and I love the electrostatic and planar sound, however, I can’t quite afford a set of Stax 009s right now so a good set or two of planars is what I am aiming for. I would like them to serve a dual purpose with my little studio and some listening too. I will probably also look for a set of HD800’s also as the imaging seems phenomenal with them.

My ideal setup would be a a pair of LCD-XC’s for isolation, a pair of Sundara’s or Ananda’s, DT 1990’s, HD800’s and some other odd headphones here and there. Of course this list is subject to change as I hang around here more!

Dec 31, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #4,233 of 7,335
It is just literally at point just putting plastic straws between your skin and pads. Trying to find some sort of plastic tubes what i can put under pads and the case of cups. Will put up photos when i make the mod permanent. In few days.

Working on my mod. Currently using legos. The plan is to buy some clip from aliepress or something, anyone any suggestions?

https://a.uchi.moe/fzzauu.jpg
https://a.uchi.moe/oscuts.jpg

Dec 31, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #4,235 of 7,335
Is this mod to protect the earcups from flattening out ?

It's for more bass, see this comment below for an explanation.
You can easily test out the effect yourself to listening to a song with a lot of bass and lifting the cups a little.

A guy at hifiman ordered a pair to his office to test out next time he's in China. We know nothing about intended tuning changes.

The sub bass improvement trick works on all hifiman cans, but the effect depends ln the resonant frequency of the membrane. On these older models, the drivers are lower tension.

What happens when you leak the pressure like that, is that the corner frequency before the bass rolloff is boosted, while everything below it is cut off even harder. On the 400S, this frequency is around 40-50Hz, so you get a bump in that range, but at the cost of an even steeper rolloff below that, so you lose a ton of 20-30Hz.

On the 500 and 560, the driver is tuned with a rolloff that starts belpw human hearing, so that leaking pressure causes that bump in the deeeeep sub bass, and the bass rolloff is steeper, yet happens deeper down than we would ever care to reproduce.

The reason it happens is because the pressure in the ear pad cavity against your skin is holding the membrane in place. Leaking the pressure allows it to move more, since it's not held in place by that pressure, and it is allowed to flop around more. The same happens on all tensioned planar drivers, as well as electrostatics like stax. Where it happens im the frequency response depends on the design.

Dec 31, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #4,237 of 7,335
Made me a balanced 14ft cable for the 2C. Used Rean and a heavy duty Neutrik connectors. Mogami quad wires.

20181230_211620.jpg

Jan 3, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #4,244 of 7,335
I've been playing around with EQ on my lcd2c. I've found that I prefer a slight adjustment to lower the 2k frequency response on the 2C as well as an ever so slight lowering of the 8k frequency range. The LCD-2C in my chain with the D50 and THX 789 has just a bit too forward mid-range for me. The lowering helps even things out a bit allows for a flatter presentation. Its not as noticeable with the schiit mimby, but when I hooked the topping D50 up, the mids become much more forward, but they still are a little bit forward on the mimby as well. Anyone else notice forward mids on the LCD2C?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back