Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #4,248 of 7,324
Yes the LDC2C can be a bit mid centric
I would say with lower-end gear it can sound mid-centric. That's what I experienced with Mojo. 2qute with a good and powerful full-size amp suddenly gives you that missing bass and treble extension and adds authority to low-end and space&air to treble. A more balanced overall sound: not just great mids but well-founded bass and more treble presence.

Jan 3, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #4,249 of 7,324
I would say with lower-end gear it can sound mid-centric. That's what I experienced with Mojo. 2qute with a good and powerful full-size amp suddenly gives you that missing bass and treble extension and adds authority to low-end and space&air to treble. A more balanced overall sound: not just great mids but well-founded bass and more treble presence.
I'm not sure power is the issue as my amp puts out near 5 watts into the 2C's ohm load

Jan 3, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #4,250 of 7,324
And as far as 'high end' goes, the measured specs of my thx amp are better than an amp like the Questyle CMA 800 R's published specs which is their fllagship current mode amp, and puts out nearly 4 times the power into a 300 ohm load, let alone the 70 ohm load of the 2C. The 800 R only has 180mw into 300 ohm vs the thx's 800mw. I think the mid centric nature of the phones is more likely to be inherent than based on other equipment, of course equipment will make slight differences, but not change the nature of the headphones themselves.

But even if the measurements don't make the THX high end, plenty of people with experience with uber high end amps claim the new thx to be superior as well.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #4,251 of 7,324
Brother, the 2C is not mid-centric, if we're talking about the 2khz (upper-mid). It is lower-to-mid mid centric, yes. But it starts to dip at 1.5khz and it is a big dip throughout the upper mid till around 5khz (of course there are units variations as well).

I notice the THX 789 does accentuate the upper-mid though though. I used to raise the 2khz by about 3db using the Loki. Now, I find myself only raising it by 1db and it is enough for me. Quite surprised myself.

Maybe you are used to your 2C's previous setting (prior to the THX 789). So you find yourself toning down that FR. No worries, mate.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #4,252 of 7,324
Betula, every gear imparts its own tonality. It's got nothing to do with low-end or high-end. Your CMA600i does accentuate treble, as I remember. Kind of synergize with the darker 2C, don't you think?

Also, the Mojo just does not have enough power for the 2C. Maybe gain, but not power. And I notice power is closely related to bass (extension and tightness).

Jan 3, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #4,253 of 7,324
Brother, the 2C is not mid-centric, if we're talking about the 2khz (upper-mid). It is lower-to-mid mid centric, yes. But it starts to dip at 1.5khz and it is a big dip throughout the upper mid till around 5khz (of course there are units variations as well).

I notice the THX 789 does accentuate the upper-mid though though. I used to raise the 2khz by about 3db using the Loki. Now, I find myself only raising it by 1db and it is enough for me.

Maybe you are used to your 2C's previous setting (prior to the THX 789). So you find yourself toning down that FR. No worries, mate.

Hmm, I've always noticed it though on all my amps. The asgard 2, the magni 3, the jds labs el amp, the thx, and even the o2 amp. The mimby has the least bump in upper mid 2k wit the 2C i guess which is why i must prefer it among all my other dacs without eq, but it could still use a little bit of a decrease imo.

Jan 3, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #4,254 of 7,324
Hmm, I've always noticed it though on all my amps. The asgard 2, the magni 3, the jds labs el amp, the thx, and even the o2 amp. The mimby has the least bump in upper mid 2k wit the 2C i guess which is why i must prefer it among all my other dacs without eq, but it could still use a little bit of a decrease imo.
The 2C's upper mid is recessed, but makes for a laid-back listening, especially when some female vocals get harsh.

Is the recessed upper-mid your preferred tonality?

But even if the measurements don't make the THX high end, plenty of people with experience with uber high end amps claim the new thx to be superior as well.
I think that is a combination of [THX 789 punching beyond its price] + [that particular uber-high-end punching below its tag price].

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #4,256 of 7,324
And as far as 'high end' goes, the measured specs of my thx amp are better than an amp like the Questyle CMA 800 R's published specs which is their fllagship current mode amp, and puts out nearly 4 times the power into a 300 ohm load, let alone the 70 ohm load of the 2C. The 800 R only has 180mw into 300 ohm vs the thx's 800mw. I think the mid centric nature of the phones is more likely to be inherent than based on other equipment, of course equipment will make slight differences, but not change the nature of the headphones themselves.

Numbers only help to an extent. The final test of all gear is how they actually sound.

Betula, every gear imparts its own tonality. It's got nothing to do with low-end or high-end. Your CMA600i does accentuate treble, as I remember. Kind of synergize with the darker 2C, don't you think?

Also, the Mojo just does not have enough power for the 2C. Maybe gain, but not power. And I notice power is closely related to bass (extension and tightness).
The 600i is a good match with the 2C but not because it accentuates treble. It doesn't accentuate anything. It is a well-balanced, quite neutral and very transparent amp. Perhaps with just a hint of smoothness and 'liquidity'.

Jan 3, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #4,257 of 7,324
Numbers only help to an extent. The final test of all gear is how they actually sound.

The 600i is a good match with the 2C but not because it accentuates treble. It doesn't accentuate anything. It is a well-balanced, quite neutral and very transparent amp. Perhaps with just a hint of smoothness and 'liquidity'.

I could not agree with you more that numbers are not the final test. Otherwise why would i prefer the horror show of the mimby and its measurements vs the D50 that has some of the best measurements regardless of price on the market. The sound is what matters for sure and is why i think the thx qualifies as high end. Many people who have reviews on it say it beats or evenly competes with the uber high end or high price amps for sale, even going so far as to call it an end game amp if you want speed, transparency, clarity, slam, and the best acccuracy available. High end is just a subjective term nowadays.

Otherwise this peice of trash stereo would be what we all lust after hehe. Seriously check this out. $5 million for a gold and diamond encrusted box with some tiny speakers in it. Is that high end? Its $5 million lol

https://www.maxim.com/gear/rivers-tone-gold-premium-speaker-system-2016-04

Jan 4, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #4,258 of 7,324
Does anyone else feel like the soundstage opens up quite a bit after they've been burnt in? I probably have between 80 and 100 hours on mine and the soundstage has really opened up a lot. I'd say it's more deep than wide but it still has good width to it. The more I listen to the 2C the better it gets, I love this headphone.

Jan 4, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #4,259 of 7,324
I've been playing around with EQ on my lcd2c. I've found that I prefer a slight adjustment to lower the 2k frequency response on the 2C as well as an ever so slight lowering of the 8k frequency range. The LCD-2C in my chain with the D50 and THX 789 has just a bit too forward mid-range for me. The lowering helps even things out a bit allows for a flatter presentation. Its not as noticeable with the schiit mimby, but when I hooked the topping D50 up, the mids become much more forward, but they still are a little bit forward on the mimby as well. Anyone else notice forward mids on the LCD2C?
I hear the lcd2c as being a bit mid centric, as well. I listen with the objective 02; which is objectively considered to be a neutral amp.
Tyle's frequency response graph shows a rise between 500hz. and 1.5khz.
Rtings graph also shows an elevation at approx. the same frequencies.
I think this is the tuning of the lcd2c, but the main elevation according to these graphs, is at 1khz.

Jan 4, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #4,260 of 7,324
I have to say, to my ears upper mids and very low treble region has some... I think someone called it shoutyness? It's not a lot, but it is there. I have heard that having the velour ear pads fix this for those noticing it. Just to put it out there, I am running them off Oppo HA-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back