Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #4,217 of 7,334
I was thinking about getting a pair of classics, but I tend to prefer a more neutral or brighter sound. Should I look at the regular Fazon LCD2's instead or skip right to the X's?

Depends on how bright, Classics are dark no denying that, but there is plenty of sparkle up top to keep you entertained, but never fatiguing. LCD X on the other hand from what I hear and not from my personal experience is more brighter or hotter experience as it reveals much more due to the nature of the headphone, being more creator oriented so more than likely gives you fatigue. Overall it depends on what you are looking for? You want to relax and just enjoy the music? Get the LCD2C. Want to listen to your music and pick apart your gear? You would go for something like the LCDX. Preference over neutral or brighter sound has nothing to do with it.

Dec 30, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #4,218 of 7,334
Yeah, which Audeze to get just depends on what your preferences compel. Some will like the lcd4, some the X, and some like the z reviews guy think the lcd2c is the best headphone Audeze makes period regardless of price. Its all up to preference at this level. No Audeze is going to give you much in the way of added details over another. They will just highlight certain aspects of music over another and depending on your preference and hearing ability you will like one more than another. Even my $200 sennheiser hd6xx does not fall too far behind the lcd2c in overall performance. The 2c is just a little cleaner, has a bit better low end precision and rumble, and has a bit better seperation and space.

Dec 30, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #4,219 of 7,334
And what about Jotunheim and Lyr3? Source: Chord 2Qute
I only heard the earlier Jot versions quite a while ago. It was good and impactful, but I prefer this one.

Lyr 3 is good. I wouldnt mind THX 789 or the Lyr 3, depending on your preference. Hybrid vs solid state. This one is more transparent and clear. Lyr 3 has a richer mid. Also flexibiility of tubes.

Synergy is important. Looking at your source, it probably needs some tube richness. Give Lyr 3 a shot. The 2C sounds good from either amp anyway.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #4,220 of 7,334
Depends on how bright, Classics are dark no denying that, but there is plenty of sparkle up top to keep you entertained, but never fatiguing. LCD X on the other hand from what I hear and not from my personal experience is more brighter or hotter experience as it reveals much more due to the nature of the headphone, being more creator oriented so more than likely gives you fatigue. Overall it depends on what you are looking for? You want to relax and just enjoy the music? Get the LCD2C. Want to listen to your music and pick apart your gear? You would go for something like the LCDX. Preference over neutral or brighter sound has nothing to do with it.

Well from the online demos I have heard the 2c has great bass. but sounds pretty dark in comparison the the other Audeze hp's. With great used prices these are a compelling buy. I am looking for an LCD hp that could be used for both studio work and occasional listening.

Dec 30, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #4,221 of 7,334
hhk8idavsh721.jpg

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #4,222 of 7,334
I just bought the Audeze LCD2-classics now I just hope Audeze doesn't take forever to ship them out.

I have an XDUOO XD-05 so I'm going to see how that powers the headphones but I think I'm going to sell that and see if I can find a used iFi Audio Micro iDSD label instead. Does anyone have the iFi with their LCD2-classics or should I be looking at something else that might pair up a bit better around that same price?

This is my first time listening to planar's after reading reviews for the past month..it was a toss up between these and the Aeon Flow Opens..so I hope I picked ok.

Dec 31, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #4,225 of 7,334
I only heard the earlier Jot versions quite a while ago. It was good and impactful, but I prefer this one.

Lyr 3 is good. I wouldnt mind THX 789 or the Lyr 3, depending on your preference. Hybrid vs solid state. This one is more transparent and clear. Lyr 3 has a richer mid. Also flexibiility of tubes.

Synergy is important. Looking at your source, it probably needs some tube richness. Give Lyr 3 a shot. The 2C sounds good from either amp anyway.
Hmm, it doesn`t sounds bad at all. Maybe I will really give a try to Lyr3.

Dec 31, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #4,226 of 7,334
Well from the online demos I have heard the 2c has great bass. but sounds pretty dark in comparison the the other Audeze hp's. With great used prices these are a compelling buy. I am looking for an LCD hp that could be used for both studio work and occasional listening.

Sounds to me like you know your priorities, if you want an audeze or planar then probably X is a better choice, because 2C is VERY forgiving, it has detail, it just skims over the bad one. If you want to be in the ballpark of 2C price range, have you looked at DT 1990?

I approve! :thumbsup:

Dec 31, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #4,228 of 7,334
Sounds to me like you know your priorities, if you want an audeze or planar then probably X is a better choice, because 2C is VERY forgiving, it has detail, it just skims over the bad one. If you want to be in the ballpark of 2C price range, have you looked at DT 1990?

I was thinking the very same thing. Don‘t get me wrong, I love the LCD2C for what they do, and that, to my ears, is to totally engage you in the music without obscuring anything. However if you were to put me on the spot and ask me which singular and only headphone I would take to a desert island for 6 months then I would have to say the DT1990.

In saying that I‘m not being detrimental to the LCD2-C, in fact it‘s brought a wonderful listening experience to me and without doubt it‘s staying as a member of my stable, but ultimately I think that the DT1990 covers more bases, especially when it comes to different musical genres.

Dec 31, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #4,229 of 7,334
I was thinking the very same thing. Don‘t get me wrong, I love the LCD2C for what they do, and that, to my ears, is to totally engage you in the music without obscuring anything. However if you were to put me on the spot and ask me which singular and only headphone I would take to a desert island for 6 months then I would have to say the DT1990.

In saying that I‘m not being detrimental to the LCD2-C, in fact it‘s brought a wonderful listening experience to me and without doubt it‘s staying as a member of my stable, but ultimately I think that the DT1990 covers more bases, especially when it comes to different musical genres.

Well to each their own. It's funny because I know that DT 1990 is good in various ways, but due to my own sound signature preference of 2C I just have to say that to me 2C does everything better, except reveling things. BUT That is only as far as enjoying the experience goes. So that is why I can still go on and recommend the DT 1990 to people who would more than likely have a preference to it.

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #4,230 of 7,334
I haven’t had much listening time with Beyers, but I did get some dt 770 pro 250 ohm that i returned because i did not like them. They sere just too harsh. I’ve still got some 770 pro 80 ohm drummers edition, but they are in another location so I’ve not listened to them in over a year. I’ve thought about the 1990s, but have not been able to demo them. I doubt i’d like them more than my hd6xx or lcd2c so there has not veen much motivation to try either. I think i just prefer a more natural and refreshing sound, vs the hard edged ‘studio’ pick apart your music presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back