Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #4,096 of 7,334
@tracyrick try cutting a little bass with a well done EQ adjustment. By de-emphasizing the bass a little, especially mid bass you will hear more air, typically anyway. Case in point, recently purchased the new Sony xM3 for portable use, which is most of my music listening these days, so important to me. At first I was going to return them as the bass was just too overblown and I love bass, I consider myself a modest basshead (but not to the point where it obscures detail). I decided to experiement with some equalizing via my Onkyo HF Player which has a pretty solid equalizer built in. Night and day difference, stunning difference. I had to cut away about -4db at close to 200Hz, another cut of about -3db at around 125Hz and finally a cut of about -1db at around 60Hz. Once done, man does this headphone sound amazing. I absolutely love the sound, still plenty of bass, but now it seems tighter and more articulate, no intruding the way it used to. Sometimes you subtract to add.

Dec 14, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #4,097 of 7,334
Thanks for the tips. I'll research the Reveal app. I'll also try cutting bass a little. I agree, subtracting works better than adding with EQ. Question is if my X3ii can EQ it well. Might have to get a Loki.

For my Sines, via my X3ii, I use the Tyll EQ of less treble and slightly more mids (-3 16k, +1 500, 1k). It definitely cuts the harshness of the treble, but I also seem to lose a little something in the process. So I'm not satisfied with the X3ii's EQ. Not sure I want to drop $150 for a Loki though either. $100 would be better. More than 4 adjustment knobs would be nice too.

Dec 14, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #4,100 of 7,334
Thanks for the tips. I'll research the Reveal app. I'll also try cutting bass a little. I agree, subtracting works better than adding with EQ. Question is if my X3ii can EQ it well. Might have to get a Loki.

For my Sines, via my X3ii, I use the Tyll EQ of less treble and slightly more mids (-3 16k, +1 500, 1k). It definitely cuts the harshness of the treble, but I also seem to lose a little something in the process. So I'm not satisfied with the X3ii's EQ. Not sure I want to drop $150 for a Loki though either. $100 would be better. More than 4 adjustment knobs would be nice too.

To avoid any loss in SQ, you need to use very high quality eq software or equipment. Try DMG equilibrium. It is also recommended by Bob Katz.

Dec 14, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #4,101 of 7,334
To avoid any loss in SQ, you need to use very high quality eq software or equipment. Try DMG equilibrium. It is also recommended by Bob Katz.
The Loki does wonders for Audeze headphones

Dec 15, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #4,103 of 7,334
2C can certainly handle a bit of boost, but not a lot of it. Loki is good if you don't mind boosting, I got it cranked probably to about +7DB, anything less and I the basshead deem it unworthy. :D But anything more just goes too far. For normal people you probably want to stay in 3-5 range.
I crank it to 3:30 PM. So, that is roughly 6-7 db. I just can't live without the Loki.

Dec 15, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #4,104 of 7,334
I crank it to 3:30 PM. So, that is roughly 6-7 db. I just can't live without the Loki.

Yup, that is where I have it. Loki adds to the 2C if you love the sound signature, but lack that extra satisfaction. I like the Easy on the ears, but not really missing sparkle signature of the 2C, which is why I had to try loki and hope for the best. Glad I did, otherwise I would need to spend a lot more on many other headphones to get this close to perfection.

Dec 15, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #4,105 of 7,334
Yup, that is where I have it. Loki adds to the 2C if you love the sound signature, but lack that extra satisfaction. I like the Easy on the ears, but not really missing sparkle signature of the 2C, which is why I had to try loki and hope for the best. Glad I did, otherwise I would need to spend a lot more on many other headphones to get this close to perfection.
Very true. Sometimes headphones just need a bit of help to the right direction. But of course, according to each individual's taste. For me, I need that bit of bass boost.

Dec 15, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #4,106 of 7,334
Very true. Sometimes headphones just need a bit of help to the right direction. But of course, according to each individual's taste. For me, I need that bit of bass boost.

Me too. and it most certainly comes down to individuals taste, not only for the headphone, but music they listen to. I had the 2C running out of Oppo HA-2, when I got em, while I was running around the house, was excited to hear them. And I must say EDM, Trancy, house style of music don't need more bass on these, it doesn't hurt, but I had to check if my bass boost isn't on. :D

Dec 15, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #4,107 of 7,334

Does anyone have any relatively cheap options to get around having to use the

SILVER DRAGON LIGHTNING CABLE or the apple connection kit

You need to use the Apple CCK if you want to use an iOS device, no way around it. Don’t mess around with the cheap third party knockoffs either. Some might work, but most don’t. You can get OEM ones on eBay for like $12. There are two options: one that is just a female USB A 2.0 port and the other that is USB 3.0 and also has a lightning port so you can charge at the same time (this one is bulkier).

Dec 15, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #4,108 of 7,334
my friend is soooo against tone controls...he firmly belongs to the purist camp.''anytime you adjust one frequency it affects the others!!'' he'll scream (lol)
i don't give a hoot....just look at the number of recordings that were too bright or harsh and later underwent remasters.
if i'm able to enjoy my music more with a bit of tone control, then so be it.
in other words he likes his steak as is...i prefer mine with some salt and pepper.

question however: i contacted schiit on this device...they say it's analog and not digital,
but still a tone control...what would it matter being analog vs digital btw?

steve guttenberg of cnet enjoys this device too.(below)
.i'll seriously consider adding it when i ramp up my gear purchases in a few months.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #4,109 of 7,334
2C can certainly handle a bit of boost, but not a lot of it. Loki is good if you don't mind boosting, I got it cranked probably to about +7DB, anything less and I the basshead deem it unworthy. :D But anything more just goes too far. For normal people you probably want to stay in 3-5 range.
I agree. Audeze headphones in general don't need much of a bass boost. But they certainly can handle any EQing you throw at them.

Dec 15, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #4,110 of 7,334
my friend is soooo against tone controls...he firmly belongs to the purist camp.''anytime you adjust one frequency it affects the others!!'' he'll scream (lol)
i don't give a hoot....just look at the number of recordings that were too bright or harsh and later underwent remasters.
if i'm able to enjoy my music more with a bit of tone control, then so be it.
in other words he likes his steak as is...i prefer mine with some salt and pepper.

question however: i contacted schiit on this device...they say it's analog and not digital,
but still a tone control...what would it matter being analog vs digital btw?

steve guttenberg of cnet enjoys this device too.(below)
.i'll seriously consider adding it when i ramp up my gear purchases in a few months.

The Loki also has a passthrough mode that lets you hear the headphones without the tone controls on. I must warn you, that after making some corrections to the sound signature of any headphones to add what you think they are lacking you it's so hard go back. At least that's they way it is with me. I love this little device and it's certainly worth the small investment to make already good headphones become great ones. Your ears will thank you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back