1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by XERO1, Oct 7, 2017.
First

Back
266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275
277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286
Next

Last
  1. betula
    1, I agree, but I think you still need to be careful with the amount of EQ you use.
    2, If I get it right, you agree with me here. The higher-end gear you have, the less ketchup you need. Ketchup can be anything else in this example, not necessarily just bass.
    3, You are right, price/performance ratio can be very, very different. Some £500 gear can sound better than some £2000 gear. But this is a sensitive ground to step on. In general I think we can say a £2000 amp will sound better than a £500 one, however there are some exceptions. It also very much depends on personal preference.
    4, My sun-roof example is not perfect. Like any other examples it just gives you a starting point. All I am saying is, it is better be careful with EQ. It is very easy to overuse it.

2. omniweltall
    I'll give you another example. The HD800. If we listen to it "as the manufacturer intended", then it is hard to stand that lack of bass and brightness. Maybe Sennheiser meant for us to use only for classical? OK, then we won't EQ it for classical. But what about other genres? Rock and modern pop, for example.

Here you have a headphone with amazing technicalities (resolution, soundstage, bass quality), but it has a problem with tonality. Instead of buying another headphone, you can EQ it to be something else that matches rock better.

3. betula
    Good point, but what would you enjoy more? A heavily EQ-d HD800 or a not/hardly EQ-d LCD2? People buy headphones for their music preferences. I would never buy HD800 since I am treble sensitive and I hardly ever listen to classical. Other people with other preference would choose HD800 over LCD2 any day.

I wouldn't want to force HD800 to sound like my preferred sound signature, if there are other headphones doing it effortlessly. I won't force a Rolls Royce Phantom to behave lake a Lamborghini Huracan if I can buy the Huracan.

4. omniweltall
    When we say "higher-end" gear, what we mean is technicalities. Those gears should give you more resolution, widest/deepest soundstage, better imaging, and so forth. But in addition to that, each gear also imparts its tonality to the sound. A tube amp, for example.

And remember, when we talk about audio chain, synergy is the most important thing. If we find a gear makes us use less ketchup with a headphone, that means it has synergy with it. Most of the time, tonality wise. It doesn't mean the higher-end gear we have, must mean less ketchup we need. We may still ketchup if that gear doesn't synergize with the headphone. For example, EC Studio and HD800. You will still need lots of ketchup with that one, even though the Studio is an end-game amp.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  5. Terozzzz
    There may be another "why" to use EQ, everyone hearing is bit different.
    Like i got slight hearing damage making a film about rock concert and my assistant forgot to take my ear plugs and after 3 songs i started to hear this funny donald duck sound and i got my hearing damaged.
    2 weeks i could not hear right, everyone was talking like donald duck :D

but it got better but now i have this weird spike at 1-2khz and it hurts if i not dial it down 6Db. To me EQ is life saving.

omniweltall likes this.
  6. omniweltall
    They are very different. Planar and Dynamics have their own strengths and flaws. No amount of EQ can make them become one another. I love them both :)

Sorry bout your hearing. Agree with your point.

7. BrotherKathos
    I’m happy to read your impression of the thx aaa 789. I’ve got one as well and think its phenomenal with my lcd2c and mimby eitr combo. I’ve never heard thousand dollar plus headphone amps so I can’t compare the sound quality to them, but I’ve read others who have had similar impressions to you as well with that amp. I can compare it with high end home audio amps I have like Krell that do cost quite alot more than even most high end head amps though and in many ways the lcd2c with thx amp outperforms the krell amp with my home speaker setup.

I’ve also read people purposely stepping down from a $2400 dac yggy, to the $250 mimby, because they prefer the signature of the mimby better. I agree with Betula that its best to be careful with eq, but still think that those who dismiss it outright are shorting themselves. To bring the ketchup analogy back its like getting a burger without ketchup and refusing to add any because they forgot to add it or did not put enough on in the kitchen. Of course you can drown the burger if you are not careful, but most of us know how much is needed to improve the taste of our food.

omniweltall and betula like this.
  8. omniweltall
    Brother, we have the same combo. I'm listening to the mimby+789+2C right now. Lovely sound. I'm quite amazed with this amp. Sub bass and details really come alive.

Try listening to Nils Lofgren's 'Keith don't go' with this combo. Ha!

9. betula
    I think if you want to 'ketchup' an EC Studio, than you made the wrong choice and you should look elsewhere instead of trying to adjust what it is meant to be.

10. omniweltall
    Btw, great discussion, Betula :) Always enjoyed your presence here in the 2C thread.

I think both you and I have our points. Ultimately it depends on each individual. It is audio we're talking about. What's important is we all enjoy music.

11. omniweltall
    I was using EC Studio only as an example to your "with higher-end gear means less ketchup". EC Studio is an end-game amp, but bad synergy if paired with HD800. But it will pair perfectly with HD650, for example.

12. betula
    Completely agreed here. It is boring if you avoid clashing different opinions. We share the love of HQ audio, we share the love of the 2C. Anything else above this is like cherries on the cake. :wink:

omniweltall likes this.
  13. BrotherKathos
    And as far as not needing to add anything to the eq based on gear quality I’m not sure if I agree there. In the high end restaurant world, even in top Michelin star restaurants they give you the option to add condiments to your food after it leaves the kitchen. I just had a very nice Olive oil poached cod under a crab risotto last night, and while the dish was great out of the kitchen it needed just a bit of fresh cracked pepper to complete it. Maybe others would have left it alone but to me the pepper was necessary. Audio and dining satisfaction are both equally subjective and they can also change easily. Maybe if i got the dish again I would prefer it with no pepper, but then again maybe not.

omniweltall likes this.
  14. betula
    Sure. But if you never try to let your heavy preferences go, you might never experience a higher level of satisfaction.
    In the end your personal preference overwrites everything. But you must stay open to experience new impressions without colouring it with your own preference first.

15. omniweltall
    We are those customers whom Michelin chefs despise! How dare we put pepper in a 5-star dish LOL. What can I say...we are ketchup and pepper guys.

Our friend, Betula, eats it as the chef intended.

First

Back
266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275
277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286
Next

Last