Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 27, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #1,951 of 7,334
Actually I think the Valhalla is supposed to be a good match for the HD650, not so good for the LCD 2c due to imp issues.

And there is a step in between you may have overlooked (on purpose?) ... I've been looking at the Lyr2 and a step above the Vali2 but I just don't see how I could get better sound than I have! Seriously, Jason himself said the Magni/Modi stack is all we need, except if you want tubes then Vali/Modi so there it is ...

Do you see anything wrong with the choice of amp with the Focal Clears? Just curious. So many people have spoke of bad pairing of different amps with the Clears.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #1,952 of 7,334
I'll tell ya.. the 2C scales. Sure it is amp friendly - but I definitely see a great improvement using Bimby/Jot over the iDSD.

Jan 27, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #1,953 of 7,334
I'll tell ya.. the 2C scales. Sure it is amp friendly - but I definitely see a great improvement using Bimby/Jot over the iDSD.
Try a hugo2 hehe scales very well. More so than lcd2f he1000 and LCD X which i preferred the lcd2c over all of them but to be fair the he1000 is a different sound it was very good but i really didn't like the sound signature. Maybe the he1000 needed more power though.

Jan 27, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #1,954 of 7,334
Not always about power - synergy is king. Hard to compare the 560 to the LCD2C due to the signature difference. They're both amazing at what they do. As far as better? If you play videogames the 560 hands down. Pure music, I'd go LCD2C. Not to say the 560 isn't good at music, it sure is.. I'd call it the better all arounder honestly.

Jan 27, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #1,955 of 7,334
Not always about power - synergy is king. Hard to compare the 560 to the LCD2C due to the signature difference. They're both amazing at what they do. As far as better? If you play videogames the 560 hands down. Pure music, I'd go LCD2C. Not to say the 560 isn't good at music, it sure is.. I'd call it the better all arounder honestly.
lets hope i get my 350 dollar he560 off backorder and into my hands hehe !! I was using the lcd2c for gaming and i quite liked it better than my AFO and Im getting Eikons hopefully ? Lmao (still waiting on them to arrive)

Jan 28, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #1,956 of 7,334
i ordered mine today... i was in trance when i did the order. my finger was disconnected from my brain
LMAO..I'm still disconnected..won't believe it till I see a package at my front door, by far the most expensive (headphones) gear to date for me.. . (how do I explain this!) :D

Jan 28, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #1,957 of 7,334
Yeah i didn't like female vocals within the first 3 weeks but they appeared to open up for me towards the 4th week of use. I mentioned revisiting zombie by the cranberries and i didn't hear what had made the song almost unbearable when i first received my lcd2c. But i don't listen to much female vocals with thst being said.
I share that impression right now. I'll keep burning mine in overnight.

Jan 28, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #1,958 of 7,334
Has anyone compared the LCD-2C to the old LCD-2.1 or 2.2s? I've still got my (working) 2.2 from Dec. 2011, and I've love to hear how these replicas compare to the real thing.

Jan 28, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #1,959 of 7,334
This is my first real impressions write-up, sorry if I miss anything. Obviously this is entirely subjective. I started this as a versus sort of thing, but they're both awesome and I ended up just adding some of my notes. Take it how you will.

I did not use the filters in the AFO during my listening, but did use the Norne cable. I used my laptop / Spotify to iFi Micro IDSD Black Label.

Construction: The AFO is definitely well built, but is a bit plasticky when placed next to the tank-like LCD-2C. They are both comfortable, but do clamp a bit on my (I guess) bigger than average head. That said, both are easy to wear for long periods, with the ALO edging out the LCD-2C due to the lighter weight.

I'll list the song title and then give you my impression notes for both.

Lorde - Still Sane

LCD-2C: Good seperation, highs hurt a bit, impactful bass. Very clear voice with these.

AFO: More laid back (not as articulate) and easier to listen to this song with. Bass less controlled though.

Hallelujah - Tori Kelly

LCD-2C: Detailed, but a bit picky with this song.

AFO: More forgiving (especially the instrumental part), smoother with her voice.

Once Upon a Dream - Lana Del Ray

LCD-2C: Heard more going on in the background, almost hearing too much. The rumble sounds awesome.

AFO: Good balance of voice and background. Overall more haunting (which this song is supposed to be).

La Grange - ZZ Top

LCD-2C: Instrumentals are excellent, with the vocals detailed too - super fun to listen to with these.

AFO: More laid back/not as much energy. Voice and instrumentals more blended.

Easy - Sky Ferreira

LCD-2C: Voice not as forgiving. Instruments overpowered vocals a bit with these.

AFO: Relaxed and easy (see what I did there?) to listen to, ethereal quality.

Harry Potter Prologue - John Williams

LCD-2C: Can hear the instruments being played, extremely detailed. Highs a bit harsh. Great low end strings blending in as song progresses.

AFO: Can also hear the instruments being played, but not as precisely. Highs not as harsh. Sound more blended - individual instruments do not stick out as much (not better or worse, just different).

These are both excellent headphones that have their own individual strong points in differing music. I think they complement each other and don't find owning both of them redundant.
20180128_135859.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #1,960 of 7,334
Here is a brutal one for you.. do some swapping - tell me that Vocals on the 2C don't suffer from a stuffy nose.

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #1,962 of 7,334
Interesting. Some say the LCD-2c's highs hurt. Others say they are not there at all. Either way, sounds like a pass for me...

Jan 28, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #1,964 of 7,334
Has anyone compared the LCD-2C to the old LCD-2.1 or 2.2s? I've still got my (working) 2.2 from Dec. 2011, and I've love to hear how these replicas compare to the real thing.

I, too, was curious about the differentials, so I picked up an Rev 2.

Jan 29, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #1,965 of 7,334
Good analogy. I owned the TH-X00 cousin E-mu Teaks for awhile, and I strongly prefer the way that the LCD2C's accentuate, and even exaggerate the low end. I'm comparing from memory, but the Fostex variants in comparison come across like overly EQ'd, smeary bass compared to the near distortion-free, and musically well balanced low-end I hear out of the LCD's. In fact, I bought a Schiit Loki to try to find some tonal balance that worked for me with the Teaks, but eventually gave up. Have not had any real desire to EQ the LCD's tho. Just right for laid back listening withthe nicest quality to qty ratio bass I've heard.
I don't think "smeary bass" is fair. It is far more apparent, but it always seemed well controlled, with more impact. I much prefer the Teaks for rock and punk, where drums should be a more visceral experience, but the LCD2C's tame the bass perfectly to comfortably and enjoyably listen to electronic and pop music. They're just suited for different things, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back