Audeze LCD-2 vs AKG K701 on a Schiit Lyr is it worth it?
Sep 25, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 17
They will have very different sound signatures, so make sure you think you'll like the LCD-2. On the other hand, they'd make good complementary headphones.

Sep 25, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 17
I've heard both (LCD2 Rev2 and AKG702) on the Schiit Lyr (GE 6BZ7) with aftermarket cables. After hearing the LCD2s, the 701/2 seems completely lifeless and unengaging.

Is it worth the extra money, for sure however I believe the most important question here is why are you thinking about "moving up"? Are you unhappy with the AKGs or just curious? If you're actually unhappy with the AKGs then by all means go for it but if it's curiosity I reckon that extra money could be better spent elsewhere (mortgage for example!). 

Sep 26, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 17
Agree with Shubar.

Spent the last weekend with my K701/LCD-2 and the Lyr. The LCD-2 is much much better for my tastes, the 701 just feels cold and loveless.

If you're finding the 701 lacking I really don't think you're going to be able to fix that with an amp, it's just the nature of the 'phone. The LCD-2 might be what you're after but do you're best to listen to everything you can before you commit to a buy, nothing worse than wasting money on a headphone you find that you don't like. With the amount of money you're spending, you really need to be sure what you want. Then again... The only way to find what you like is to find what you don't so maybe you should just fire away
devil_face.gif

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #8 of 17
What Shubar and WillHughes said. Couldn't agree more with them.

Oct 11, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #9 of 17
Heh...since i'm not in USA, I made a leap of faith buying a LCD-2, and I will be selling my K702. K702 with Lyr sound very very good IMHO, but everybody says they love LCD-2, so... let's see and hope I like them :p

Oct 11, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #10 of 17
      Quote:
Heh...since i'm not in USA, I made a leap of faith buying a LCD-2, and I will be selling my K702. K702 with Lyr sound very very good IMHO, but everybody says they love LCD-2, so... let's see and hope I like them :p

Just remember, if you don't like the sound at first, try rolling in several different tubes.  They can change the sound significantly.  I went through 40 different sets of tubes myself to find a sound signature that I enjoy.
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oct 11, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #11 of 17
Heh...

I already bought Lorenz 2-micca gray, Lorenz 3-micca, Valvo E88CC and Mullards E88CC.

K702 + Valvo E88CC sounds sooooooo great.

I will sell both Valvo and K702 next week I hope to recover some cash...

I tried K702 with E7+E9, but the Lyr+Valvo fixed the lack of bass... DT990+E9 and K702+Lyr+Valvo on Daft Punk Phoenix song, sounds to my ears, very very good.

Definitely is not overkill the Lyr on K702... now, I can't compare against Matrix M-stage

Quote:
      Quote:
Just remember, if you don't like the sound at first, try rolling in several different tubes.  They can change the sound significantly.  I went through 40 different sets of tubes myself to find a sound signature that I enjoy.
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #12 of 17
     Quote:
Heh...

I already bought Lorenz 2-micca gray, Lorenz 3-micca, Valvo E88CC and Mullards E88CC.

K702 + Valvo E88CC sounds sooooooo great.

I will sell both Valvo and K702 next week I hope to recover some cash...

I tried K702 with E7+E9, but the Lyr+Valvo fixed the lack of bass... DT990+E9 and K702+Lyr+Valvo on Daft Punk Phoenix song, sounds to my ears, very very good.

Definitely is not overkill the Lyr on K702... now, I can't compare against Matrix M-stage 

Oh, you should definitely be set!
biggrin.gif
  For me, the Lorenz tubes rock and are the tubes I have settled with.
Excellent choice!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oct 11, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:

Oooh congrats. I would have gotten the same headphone too, but it seems that Audez'e is releasing new headphone this weekend that's why I am holding off. 

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:

Oooh congrats. I would have gotten the same headphone too, but it seems that Audez'e is releasing new headphone this weekend that's why I am holding off. 

Really? you have more info about? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back