Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Sep 23, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #18,196 of 18,459

Quote:
I prefer the yoke block that looks a tad like brushed aluminum(it has that texture to it)  the newer ones like that one I saw on the leather headband looks and feels kinda cheap.  Aesthetically it doesn't work for me.  Considering the inner screw is not shown its hard to see or possible repair any looseness in it.

I haven't personally been able to look at the old style block, but from what I see in pictures, they're not very different. (http://cdn.head-fi.org/4/41/41f1ddf8_lcd2studio1.jpg) The older style just looks like a sharper edged metal version. Same set screw, same four mounting screws. If anything, I prefer the new style. The round edges fit better with the design of the headphones, and any weight savings can't hurt. The plastic seems to be high quality, so I don't see it just falling apart... 

As for Elysian's question on the LCD-2's pricing: I could be wrong, but I think there's a minimum advertised price set on them. I doubt you'll see any official marketed sales on them. You could try emailing a retailer asking for a quote, but I'm not sure you'd get anything different from the advertised price. I mean they're already a bargain vs the top end traditional dynamics like the T1/HD800. The only one that beats price wise them in that bracket is the HE-500s, and that's not by much.

Sep 23, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #18,197 of 18,459

I received my Q-Audio cable this morning (1.5m black) and hooked it up to the LCD-2r2s, and.... I'm sure I don't have the ears of some of the more delicate listeners here, but I was surprised at how much it improved the sound quality of the LCD-2s over the supplied cable (I received the 4 conductor flat ribbon cable from Audeze with my LCD-2s). I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a huge leap from the stock cable, but I will say it's certainly more than I was expecting to perceive from switching out one cable for another... the top end seems a little for effortless... not pushed, or more sparkly (in no way brighter) but a certain kind of clearer... I can't really adequately describe it. Instinct wants me to call it 'more powdery' but that is misleading because it conjures images of something being added to the sound, whereas I feel something unnecessary as been removed... but like I mentioned before, I can't adequately articulate it. Bass is possibly more firm/controlled, but I can't say for certain, that might be me believing what I want to believe... the change to the treble (I'd put it at 3-4K and above) is undeniably different.

Then there is the whole ergonomics/aesthetics of the cable. It's gorgeous, light, soft, and very flexible. As mentioned elsewhere, the packaging is very elegant.

I'm going to go write Steve a personal thank you.

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #18,198 of 18,459

Quote:

I received my Q-Audio cable this morning (1.5m black) and hooked it up to the LCD-2r2s, and.... I'm sure I don't have the ears of some of the more delicate listeners here, but I was surprised at how much it improved the sound quality of the LCD-2s over the supplied cable (I received the 4 conductor flat ribbon cable from Audeze with my LCD-2s). I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a huge leap from the stock cable, but I will say it's certainly more than I was expecting to perceive from switching out one cable for another... the top end seems a little for effortless... not pushed, or more sparkly (in no way brighter) but a certain kind of clearer... I can't really adequately describe it. Instinct wants me to call it 'more powdery' but that is misleading because it conjures images of something being added to the sound, whereas I feel something unnecessary as been removed... but like I mentioned before, I can't adequately articulate it. Bass is possibly more firm/controlled, but I can't say for certain, that might be me believing what I want to believe... the change to the treble (I'd put it at 3-4K and above) is undeniably different.

Then there is the whole ergonomics/aesthetics of the cable. It's gorgeous, light, soft, and very flexible. As mentioned elsewhere, the packaging is very elegant.

I'm going to go write Steve a personal thank you.

Head on over to the aftermarket thread and post up your thoughts. http://www.head-fi.org/t/533209/lcd-2-owners-which-aftermarket-cable-do-you-use/1260#post_7775607

The Q cable definitely removes a slight congestion and hardness that occurs in the stock cable especially when upper region energy increase.  There is more transparency up in that region with the Q and less stress to the sound creating a more effortless presentation.  Overall the Q has more clarity over the stock cable and more transparency.  Bass is more firm and controlled and tonally defined.  (you are not hearing what you want to beleive. Shame on you editor! shame on you! You know better than that! 
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

While the Q may not seem like a huge leap over the stock cable the improvement aggregates over time as perception of the improvements increase with extended listening.  

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #18,199 of 18,459
I will get the balanced ALO AWG 22 cable for the SR71B soon. I will then be able to compare it with the Norse 8-conductor cable I am using now and the stock cable. Stay tuned.

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #18,200 of 18,459
i had the lcd-2 with balanced black dragon V2.
i never listened the lcd-2 with the stock cable but i love the black dragon, makes it very well the micro-detail and improve a little bit the definition of low frequencies(but only small improvements)

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #18,201 of 18,459

Quote:
i had the lcd-2 with balanced black dragon V2.
i never listened the lcd-2 with the stock cable but i love the black dragon, makes it very well the micro-detail and improve a little bit the definition of low frequencies(but only small improvements)

Wait, you never listened to it with the stock cable, but you know the replacement improves aspects of the sound? One of these statements is false.

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #18,203 of 18,459
That's why there are only small improvements. OTOH, must surely have been a night and day difference over no cable at all 
biggrin.gif
(sorry alota - couldn't resist)

Seriously though, I am beginning to consider one of Steve's (Q-Audio) cables for the rev 1...

Have been working through the thread WA cites above. There's some genuinely interesting information from the various cable-makers, seriously good humor, and nicely written-up impressions/reviews.

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #18,206 of 18,459

Quote:
Wait, you never listened to it with the stock cable, but you know the replacement improves aspects of the sound? One of these statements is false.

i´m sorry, wrong english.
i used the black dragon in some headphones and i found these improvements.
with the audeze i don´t have comparison with the stock cable.
the cable is not expensive.
i find a little strange to spend on a cable a price almost equal to that the headphone.
another good cable, in my opinion, is the norseaudio

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #18,207 of 18,459

Quote:
i´m sorry, wrong english.
i used the black dragon in some headphones and i found these improvements.
with the audeze i don´t have comparison with the stock cable.
the cable is not expensive.
i find a little strange to spend on a cable a price almost equal to that the headphone.
another good cable, in my opinion, is the norseaudio

No problem, I kind of figured it was something of the sort. I meant my comment to be in a joking tone, but forgot to put the 
tongue.gif
 at the end. Downside to internet communication - too reliant on emoticons, especially when dealing with non-native speakers.

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #18,208 of 18,459

Quote:
That's why there are only small improvements. OTOH, must surely have been a night and day difference over no cable at all 
biggrin.gif
(sorry alota - couldn't resist)

Seriously though, I am beginning to consider one of Steve's (Q-Audio) cables for the rev 1...

Have been working through the thread WA cites above. There's some genuinely interesting information from the various cable-makers, seriously good humor, and nicely written-up impressions/reviews.

That's one of the cool thing s about the LCD-2. You make a cable change and the LCD lets you hear it.  I made a power cord change to my DAC-2 and the soundstage widened beyond the point I thought possible with the LCD.  Now I'm beginning to think everything in the chain holds back the LCD-2 in some way or another.

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #18,209 of 18,459
I have golden ears and I´m on my third Q audio cable. Having golden ears is quite expensive. The LCD-2 and golden ears is a dangerous combination. And, I have not any pro-experience in audio mixing / industry. Just golden ears. 
biggrin.gif

Can't quite remember; did I mention GOLDEN ears? Hm. Guess I did...oh well. I possess a golden keyboard as well....

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #18,210 of 18,459

Quote:
I have golden ears and I´m on my third Q audio cable. Having golden ears is quite expensive. The LCD-2 and golden ears is a dangerous combination. And, I have not any pro-experience in audio mixing / industry. Just golden ears. 
biggrin.gif

Can't quite remember; did I mention GOLDEN ears? Hm. Guess I did...oh well. I possess a golden keyboard as well....

Loevhagen are you telling me that the Q cable wears out?  

I'd rather have silver ears myself, silver is a better conductor than gold and is supposedly faster with transient response, great for solid state guys.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back