Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Sep 22, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #18,182 of 18,459

Quote:
OMG!

i'm into my 2nd hour of listening to these LCD-2 S/S 5313088 with a Grace M903 at level 73 with lossless iTunes tracks.  (60 level with HD800)

damn, it sounds grand, accurate and tight.

Is that -60 and -73 perhaps? On my WA22 the HD800 needs more power to get to the same listening level as the LCD-2. Are yours rev.1 or rev.2?

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #18,183 of 18,459

Quote:
Bigger soundstage and better comfort are exactly what I'm looking for--the pads seem to dig into my cheekbones and jaw, and my face feels sore after just 15-20 minutes of listening (and I've tried bending the headband for several months now).

So is the consensus that Audeze sent me the wrong pads, and that both my set and the ones they sent me are the old ones?  All the pictures I'm seeing of the new pads make them seem huge, and with a distinctive flat outer edge that my pads don't have.

Audez'e definitely sent you the wrong pads. I underwent a similar procedure and my new pads definitely look like the ones belonging to the Rev 2. 

The new pads are definitely worth a try as they are more comfortable and seems to change the sound a bit. You basically end up with something in between the older Rev 1 and the Rev 2, probably closer to the Rev 2 overall. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #18,184 of 18,459
it's +73db on my Grace M903 for the LCD-2 Rev2 versus +58db on the HD800 to get the same perceived SPL for my ears.
My HD800 is serial #666
evil_smiley.gif

At the same sound level, i have thus far found violins and violas a lot easier to isolate with the LCD-2 over the HD800.  i find that amazing.

i have on order the ALO reference 8 silver/copper.  still delayed in shipping.....   rep at Audeze say i am wasting my $685 while TTVJ say its a killer combo...   (duh!)
blink.gif

paul

Quote:

Is that -60 and -73 perhaps? On my WA22 the HD800 needs more power to get to the same listening level as the LCD-2. Are yours rev.1 or rev.2?

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #18,185 of 18,459

Quote:
i have on order the ALO reference 8 silver/copper.  still delayed in shipping.....   rep at Audeze say i am wasting my $685 while TTVJ say its a killer combo...   (duh!)
blink.gif

paul

I'd imagine the Audeze folks are a bit more scientifically oriented in their opinions than a retailer. All due respect to Todd, but he's more hi-fi enthusiast than engineer. If Audeze truly believed that their cable was highly inferior, they'd be offering something better themselves. It's not like braiding some copper and silver wires together is some engineering feat that they couldn't replicate. The LCD-2 is a testament to utilitarian design backed by knowledge and measurable results, not what looks nice but has no verifiable effects.

I don't really intend for this comment to spark the whole cable debate up, but simply to point out that it's not exactly surprising that Audeze would think that a boutique cable was a waste of money. It's not like they'd intentionally handicap their own headphone over a few feet of wire.

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #18,186 of 18,459

Quote:
I'd imagine the Audeze folks are a bit more scientifically oriented in their opinions than a retailer. All due respect to Todd, but he's more hi-fi enthusiast than engineer. If Audeze truly believed that their cable was highly inferior, they'd be offering something better themselves. It's not like braiding some copper and silver wires together is some engineering feat that they couldn't replicate. The LCD-2 is a testament to utilitarian design backed by knowledge and measurable results, not what looks nice but has no verifiable effects.

I don't really intend for this comment to spark the whole cable debate up, but simply to point out that it's not exactly surprising that Audeze would think that a boutique cable was a waste of money. It's not like they'd intentionally handicap their own headphone over a few feet of wire.

Also not wanting to spark a cable debate with you, I just wanted to add that I use an aftermarket cable from Q audio and it is clearly an improvement in sonics over the Audeze stock cable. So while Audeze may not think their cable is inferior they may be supplying a cable at a cost that does work very well but is also included to keep the overall cost of the LCD-2 down.  Personally I'd like to see the Audeze cable as an option to buy when you purchase the LCD-2 this way I could have saved the $80 or what ever it costs separately and used it on a better aftermarket cable because once I tried the Q and experienced it's sonics I knew I was never going to use that stock cable again.  Now it just sits in the travel case waiting for the universe to end.  

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #18,187 of 18,459

Quote:

i agree.
for my taste 685 dollars is too much for my wallet.
i tried the norseaudio 8 conductors for the audeze with my jvc dx-1000.
the cable cost-me 200 dollars.
with all cables i´ve tried so far, the essence of the headphone always stays the same

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #18,188 of 18,459

Quote:
Also not wanting to spark a cable debate with you, I just wanted to add that I use an aftermarket cable from Q audio and it is clearly an improvement in sonics over the Audeze stock cable. So while Audeze may not think their cable is inferior they may be supplying a cable at a cost that does work very well but is also included to keep the overall cost of the LCD-2 down.  Personally I'd like to see the Audeze cable as an option to buy when you purchase the LCD-2 this way I could have saved the $80 or what ever it costs separately and used it on a better aftermarket cable because once I tried the Q and experienced it's sonics I knew I was never going to use that stock cable again.  Now it just sits in the travel case waiting for the universe to end.  

Some people claim to hear a difference, others claim not to. I'm not going to bother weighing in on that, as I don't care one way or the other. I'm not selling cables, nor do I care what people do spend their money on if it makes them happy. Machines, however, pretty much always report zero differences in all measurements unless there's a massive fault in one of the cables. The same machines that engineers use to analyse the cables, transducers, circuits and so on when they're making a product. It's quite understandable that an engineer would write off changes that make a product more expensive with no measurable changes as pointless. This is especially true if the engineer falls under the bracket of people that don't hear a difference. If that same engineer was then asked what he thought about spending $600+ on a replacement that has shown no measurable difference to him, of course he's going to say the person was wasting their money. And if you want to be cynical in this case, throw in the fact that every aftermarket cable sold is one less they can sell themselves (in regards to balanced cables at least).

Contrast that to a person who is in it for the love of music, and doesn't have to care about what any machine says. They don't have to be consistent or prove anything. Designing something is the last thing on their minds; they just have to enjoy. And if you want to be cynical in this case, throw in the fact that the person sells the products that they think are great.

I was really just pointing out that it's not so crazy that you'd have two extremely differing viewpoints on the subject from two reputable sources.

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #18,189 of 18,459
Do sales ever occur on a brand-new LCD-2 Rev2?  I'm trying to decide whether to buy now or later (leather headband, travel case).  I thought I saw one retailer sell it for 10% off during Labor Day weekend, but I could be misremembering.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #18,190 of 18,459
Everybody has different preferences, that's why the LCD-2 accommodates modular cables. All top-tier cans should IMO (I'm talking to you, Ultrasone and Beyerdynamic :wink:)

But they have to include a stock cable, just because they charge $80 for it doesn't mean it's worth $80.

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #18,191 of 18,459
Is anyone here having a balanced ADZ 6 or similar cable for sale? With the 4-port. Audezes web site is malfunctioning the entire week not being able to calculate postage fees. Not possible to order online and their email support is as sporadic as ever. hey don´t want to let people order outside the online store I get the feeling?

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #18,193 of 18,459
Anyone try a LCD-2 Rev2 with a Audio-gd NFB-9 (or NFB-8)?  Going to pull the trigger on the Audio-gd soon, as it seems to punch above its weight class, and most seem to consider it better and more musical than the Benchmark, Burson, Lavry, and W4S.  I read up on the NFB-8 and am pretty impressed.

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #18,194 of 18,459
I prefer the yoke block that looks a tad like brushed aluminum(it has that texture to it)  the newer ones like that one I saw on the leather headband looks and feels kinda cheap.  Aesthetically it doesn't work for me.  Considering the inner screw is not shown its hard to see or possible repair any looseness in it.

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #18,195 of 18,459
think i saw that email for 10% off, i called but it did not include the LCD-2

Quote:
Do sales ever occur on a brand-new LCD-2 Rev2?  I'm trying to decide whether to buy now or later (leather headband, travel case).  I thought I saw one retailer sell it for 10% off during Labor Day weekend, but I could be misremembering.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back