Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 25, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #17,237 of 18,459
Quote:
I find the LCD-2s are quite natural and balanced...and don't understand why a headphone has to be bright to be "neutral".
confused_face_2.gif

Hmmm. A headphone doesn't have to be bright to be 'neutral'. A bright or dark-sounding headphone can reproduce recordings in a way that the frequency balance presented could be described as 'neutral,' such as the LCD-2 or perhaps the Sennheiser HD 600 or 800.

What are you listening to with your LCD-2 these days, MH? 

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #17,238 of 18,459

Quote:

Hmmm. A headphone doesn't have to be bright to be 'neutral'. A bright or dark-sounding headphone can reproduce recordings in a way that the frequency balance presented could be described as 'neutral,' such as the LCD-2 or perhaps the Sennheiser HD 600 or 800.

What are you listening to with your LCD-2 these days, MH? 

Right now:

Mostly my WA22 (Sylvania Power Tubes, Westinghouse 6SN7s and Raytheon 5U4G) and fed by my Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2. I am exceedingly happy...tomorrow, my Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z tubes arrive (got them brand new at a great price). So all this is subject to change.
tongue.gif

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #17,239 of 18,459
Mmmm. Looks like exciting times for you... 
tongue.gif

I'm still mostly solid state and using the Lavry DA10, alternating between it and the Burson HA-160D.

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #17,240 of 18,459

Quote:
Mmmm. Looks like exciting times for you... 
tongue.gif

I'm still mostly solid state and using the Lavry DA10, alternating between it and the Burson HA-160D.

I've heard the Burson HA-160  with the LCD-2s and liked the combination very much.

BTW, I do use my Lyr still often enough with my LCD-2s...a great combination as well.

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #17,243 of 18,459

Quote:
I find the LCD-2s are quite natural and balanced...and don't understand why a headphone has to be bright to be "neutral".
confused_face_2.gif

I got my T1 yesterday, but with all due respect , the mids are no where near LCD-2 to my preference, and I don't really find being brighter cans as T1 really done anything good and that's just for me. 
Btw Hero, have you found any sibilance on ur T1 with WA22? 

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #17,245 of 18,459
From dictionary.com :

[size=medium]cream·y[/size]

adjective, cream·i·er, cream·i·est.

1. containing cream.

2. resembling cream in consistency or taste; soft and smooth.

3. cream-colored.

4. Informal . a. beneficial or profitable: a creamy arrangement for profit sharing.

b. slick, facile, or superficial: His later movies are too creamy.  

Quote:
By creamy do people mean lush? 

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #17,246 of 18,459

Quote:
From dictionary.com :

[size=medium]cream·y[/size]

adjective, cream·i·er, cream·i·est.

1. containing cream.

2. resembling cream in consistency or taste; soft and smooth.

3. cream-colored.

4. Informal . a. beneficial or profitable: a creamy arrangement for profit sharing.

b. slick, facile, or superficial: His later movies are too creamy.

( implies unnatural tone or flavor ) 

The term doesn't at all fit.  If the set is smooth, just say smooth and leave it at that.  "Creamy" does not fit with the sound of the LCD2 as I had heard it, not at all a term I would ever use to describe it.  But that is just me, what do I know?

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #17,247 of 18,459

Quote:

Great point, that one excellent way to approach neutrality is by matching the attributes of the recording to those of the headphone.

Quote:
By creamy do people mean lush? 

That's one way of putting it, to me it means a fantastic, prominent midrange, loads of clean bass from the lower mids to sub-level, and nice and clean yet unobtrusive highs, a sound signature that doesn't fatigue when listening to substandard recordings.

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #17,248 of 18,459
I am with you here. But people consider those 95% cans as "neutral" that's why they call LCD 2 (espesically rev.1) "dark".

Quote:
they still sound more neutral than 95% of the cans out here...let's keep it real.

I might try that as well. sounds interesting though I already find LCD 2's bass amazing enough^^

Quote:
got my sr71b today.. loving it.. hopefully converting my stock cable to balanced tonight. cant wait!

ATTENTION BASSHEADS: - this next part is for you.

using the equalizer app, i have created a dance preset for all my hiphop and dubstep needs. 
I have added about 16db worth of sub bass to the mix.  This is a LOT of sub bass and obviously a preset that is not meant for most genres of music listening

all i can say to anyone considering these cans for dance music, or bass head music that is willing to use an eqalizer is hold on to your ******* hats because the amount of sub-bass these cans can produce is nothing short of ASTONISHING.  all the way down to the chest rattling bass-ment.    This is a bass revelation for me.  absolutely increduble!!!

WOW!! i have never even come CLOSE to hearing a headphone that can shake like these can.  and its so clean!

dang am I glad i got these headphones!!!!

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #17,249 of 18,459

Quote:
The term doesn't at all fit.  If the set is smooth, just say smooth and leave it at that.  "Creamy" does not fit with the sound of the LCD2 as I had heard it, not at all a term I would ever use to describe it.  But that is just me, what do I know?

Agreed.  Creamy, huh?  Loada crap.  Smooth? Yes.  Lush?  Perhaps.  The LCD2s are just too transparent to use a thick substance as a descriptor.

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #17,250 of 18,459

Quote:

Agreed.  Creamy, huh?  Loada crap.  Smooth? Yes.  Lush?  Perhaps.  The LCD2s are just too transparent to use a thick substance as a descriptor.

Lush would perhaps come close. I would say something in between creamy and lush for LCD2 rev1. The sound is too transparant to be called creamy and too thick to be called lush. For me lush implies something less dense than creamy. Lush gives the impression of coolness for me which is not fitting for LCD2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back