Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 14, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #16,801 of 18,459
probably not while wearing the headphones!

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #16,802 of 18,459
Have noticed some questions from newcomers to this thread about how hard the LCD-2s are to drive. My answer; not hard, but if you want to heat them at their best you will be spending some money for a dedicated amp.

While listening to my main system, I had the LCDs plugged into the headphone jack on the Marantz SA8004 (CD/SACD player with killer DAC section and front panel USB drive port), just to pile on some break-in hours. When I actually listened to the phones they were loud enough, but lifeless. Not at all the sound that results from using the Schiit Lyr. Had I only heard the phones this way, I'd have wondered what the fuss was about.

Can't comment on the I-pod or similar, since I don't own one, but I have had very satisfying results with the Bellari VP-129 (now 130,) a small (and relatively cheap) phono preamp/ headphone amp.

Both the Lyr and the Bellari use glass bottles, so either the LCD-2s have an affinity for tubes or I do. I did have a German solid state amp that cost as much as the phones, but the sound was more impressive than involving. So when it curled up its toes I returned it without regret.

Bottom line - these things cost real money, but it's one buying decision I haven't regretted. I was concerned that they'd be too hard to drive, but have found that there's no need to spend more on the amp than on the phones.

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #16,803 of 18,459

In L.A. on vacation, a local dealer had a demo pair (rev2) with which I spent over an hour auditioning... WOW.
eek.gif

Sadly, they had none in stock, so I went to headroom after the audition, and I am now $1,000 poorer.

So I am now eagerly awaiting a package shortly after I get home.

Next payday I'm going to drop some dollars on a Schitt setup (never needed amping for my ultrasones), so a question to all the wise here..

I'm going to take a leap of faith and order the Bifrost to go along with whichever amp I wind up with.

So Lyr or Valhalla guys?
Will the Lyr blow up my lower impedance headphones? (Ultrasone Pro 900s)

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #16,804 of 18,459
Im having a slight problem with their customer service. Ive called at least 4-6 times already in the last month about me getting athe LCD-2's, and i was told to email Alex. Still no response, i think ill be calling them again.

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #16,808 of 18,459
really a lot high praise on HA-160D ever since it came out, it's really that good?even better than the beta 22? 
Not to doubt people's credibility , but i heard HA-160D ad strategy which pays reviewer... I thought read it some where... maybe i'm just being a jerk lol
Anyway though I read a review on absolute sound about a iDAC thing that runs under 1k which looks more like an ad.. 

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #16,809 of 18,459

Quote:
Thank you Smith~

Is there a "classical "verson or just rev.1?

and let me try upload image here ~

That's one magical portable player to be able to drive all these cans. 

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #16,810 of 18,459
Quote:
So you're liking the Burson?  

Most definitely. The HA-160D is a great all-in-one DAC/Amp combo. The tone with the LCD-2 is very natural, but sometimes the HA-160D sounds bit too warm for my preference (more on that in the Love Supreme part of my review), and I occasionally find it lacking in treble detail. Perhaps an aftermarket cable LCD-2 would sort that though. 

FYI: I found there was very little difference when A/Bing the Lavry DA10 DAC/amp with the Lavry fed to the HA-160 Amp.

I'm thinking the Lavry is definitely a keeper for now, even if it's ever so slightly brighter than natural to my ears.

I'm grateful for such quality audio gear.

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #16,811 of 18,459
Lunch at office - busy day. The LCD2 Rev 1 makes my day a bit better. It is amazing how the iphone 4, the CLAS and Stepdance can drive the LCD2. However, at times, I think that with the CLAS in between, the sound is a bit too clean and a touch of the creamy mids has been lost (although not as much cream is lost as in the Rev 2 I heard in the AV show). Overall, still a very creamy experience, but sometimes not as creamy as connecting the iphone 4 directly to the Stepdance which drives the LCD2. Maybe I'll need some other internconnects for the CLAS to bring back the creaminess. I am also posting it in the CLAS thread to invite more discussions.

Aug 15, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #16,813 of 18,459

Quote:
Lunch at office - busy day. The LCD2 Rev 1 makes my day a bit better. It is amazing how the iphone 4, the CLAS and Stepdance can drive the LCD2. However, at times, I think that with the CLAS in between, the sound is a bit too clean and a touch of the creamy mids has been lost (although not as much cream is lost as in the Rev 2 I heard in the AV show). Overall, still a very creamy experience, but sometimes not as creamy as connecting the iphone 4 directly to the Stepdance which drives the LCD2. Maybe I'll need some other internconnects for the CLAS to bring back the creaminess.

I think you're trying to upset me, googleli.

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back