Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 14, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #16,787 of 18,459
yeah, the measure is decibles (sound pressure) per unit (milliwat) of power.  So the more sound you get per watt, the easier the headphones are to drive.

But just because  you get sound, doesn't mean these headphones are optimized at lower levels.  I mean, my LCD-2's will play with an iPod, but require more than a watt of amplifier power before they start to sound really really great.  And HE-6's require a LOT more juice to sound their best!

hope this helps!

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #16,788 of 18,459
The sr-71a is nice for this headphone cause it uses 2x 9 volt batteries so its got a pretty big voltage to work with. I'm fairly certain it can power even the top demanding headphones.

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #16,789 of 18,459
Yes thank you all for your help.  I wouldn't be actually using a portable amp for this.  I'd get a dac and amp to run this with.  But I am on the fence for the HE-500 and LCD-2.  I like the way the HE-500 has been described but I am now just reading about the LCD-2.  But I'll keep reading and when I have a noobish question I'll ask.  
gs1000.gif

Drake

Aug 14, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #16,791 of 18,459

Quote:
IMO, (or it's more a theory I guess) most people are unable to understand the above highlighted concept, even when it's well explained (as you have done).  Probably because they either have zero experience with top tier bright phones that are completely free of treble peaks OR because they have had a few bad experiences with a mid-fi bright phones (most of which have noticeable peaks)

Yep, I identify with that. Mid-fi phones with noticeable peaks are just a bit worse than one of those nightmares where you're trying to hide from a homicidal maniac in a dark house. They can scar you for life.

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #16,793 of 18,459
Haha I don't want to blow too much G too before my wife has my head on a spear in the front yard....
eek.gif

Quote:
From what I've read if i had to choose one i'd pick the lcd-2. wont have a G to blow anytime soon tho so no go for me.

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #16,797 of 18,459
Thank you Smith~

Is there a "classical "verson or just rev.1?

and let me try upload image here ~

Soundwise there has been 2 changes, new earpards somewhere along the way and new drivers with the rev2. There has also been some cosmetic changes.

As far as names are concerned, there's a rev 2 and all previous changes don't have a name associated to them.

Aug 14, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #16,799 of 18,459
has anyone seen this? Audez'e is having a t-shirt design contest: 

http://99designs.com/t-shirt-design/contests/t-shirt-design-wanted-audez-e-90910

my fave so far:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back