Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 9, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #16,441 of 18,459
It's more likely that she'll change your tune first. Literally.  2-3 karats and you'll get an ipod shuffle and some ear buds. 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Yes! My significant other calls headphones my "anti-drug". The more money I pour into it, the more money I displace from more damaging vices. 

She'll change her tune whenever I propose with a plastic gumball ring as I blow my money on an SR-009 set up. 

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #16,442 of 18,459
I think your observations are valid and mirror my own (you can probably leave off the price tag for K-01 in your future posts though). IMO PWD w/ network card is probably sufficient as a source for good rendition of soundstage using headphones. Alpha should be another DAC that's sufficient for the job. I do remember pooping the Alpha at one point comparing to dCS Paganini and X-01, but that's with Magico Mini, which unnecessarily heightened the difference (as you noted previously on the transparent nature of the Mini sound). For headpone listening, I now believe Alpha is perfectly fine.

Quote:
To be frank, the effect of high end source on headphone is not as drastic on speaker systems. And the effect is even less on the LCD2 - which is quite resolving but nearly as resolving as the Stax 009, on which improvement is clearly heard as source improves. Not that I suggest everyone should get my Esoteric K-01 which costs US$20,000 in the States, but source certainly makes a difference.

Like cables - it is one thing to say that more expensive CD players do not necessarily produce better sound - and even if they do, the improvement is never linearly proportional to the amount of money spent - this much I agree. But it is another thing to say they don't make any difference, which I completely disagree, and I suspect anyone who is not deaf would. 

In my experience, the high end CD players are able to spread out the sound stage in all X, Y and Z axes. Lower end CD players / DACs can only do X axis improvements at best and the sound field appears as a 2D image rather than a 3D figure.

On the question of Lyr and ver2, I don't remember if I tried one of the demo ver2 with Lyr at the HK show. Even if I tried the combo, I probably wouldn't say I had any experience with Lyr and ver2. I only have ver1 and Asgard.

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #16,443 of 18,459

Quote:
The LCD-2 is starting to sound magical to me now; maybe it's because I'm accepting the sound I'm hearing from it instead of wanting it to be different. 

I'm curious: how has the Q Audio cable affected the sound of your LCD-2 in relation to the stock cable? 

Quote:
 To me the sound feels a little more open and airy. Very clean versus being slightly congested with the stock. It may be part placebo, but I think it's an improvement. Plus the q-audio and other cloth covered brands are lighter and easier to manage than the stock. 

Thanks for the response. I don't find the LCD-2 stock cable difficult to manage; I find it unobtrusive. But I'd probably welcome a lighter cable, especially if it improves the sound.

My LCD-2 rev2 or my perception of it seems to have settled, and I'm really, really enjoying it and the Lavry DA10. Any upgrades to my headphone rig now are definitely icing on the cake.

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #16,444 of 18,459
Actually, that's an excellent way to describe an aftermarket cable. Icing on the cake. Now raise your hand if you want icing on your cake! (I have both hands up) 
Quote:

Thanks for the response. I don't find the LCD-2 stock difficult to manage, though I'd probably welcome a lighter cable, especially if it improves the sound. My LCD-2 rev2 /my perception of it seems to have settled, and I'm really, really enjoying it and the Lavry DA10. Any upgrades to my headphone rig now are definitely icing on the cake.

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #16,445 of 18,459

Quote:

I attended that show in HK, too and am agreed the environment of the show is really poor to judge how the R2 sound with the set-up provided to demo the cans. Have followed this thread for a while and willing to find out if the R2 is a step up (or anything) from the R1, I grabbed it.

What I concur is a good set-up could make the LCD-2s sound better than the system use in the show, Both my R1 and R2 (connected with Apuresound V3) are driving from the WA5LE and a fully balanced 4 boards Beta22 that I believe should have adequate power and different presentation of sound signature, source is Linn Akurate DS and Oppo BDP-95. No conclusion to be make but I can only say and admitted the sound of the R2 is keep changing within the burn-in session, it is now have only 20hrs marked and I love the R2 over the R1.

Dannie,

Since you and I employ the exact same Beta amp, I'm keen on hearing your observations concerning differences both good and bad regarding the LCD-2 rev.2 and the HD800. I had the 800 for a time in my system, and would care to know if the Audez'e is a step up.

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #16,446 of 18,459
Quote:
Interesting article from Playback on the LCD-2s:

http://www.avguide.com/review/audeze-lcd-2-planar-magnetic-headphones-playback-47

The follow-up part to the above review has been published; in it the rev2 drivers are discussed:

http://www.avguide.com/review/follow-audezes-rev-2-drivers-the-lcd-2-headphone-playback-47

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #16,448 of 18,459

Quote:
 The more money I pour into it, the more money I displace from more damaging vices. 

She'll change her tune whenever I propose with a plastic gumball ring as I blow my money on an SR-009 set up. 

Get her a nice ring if you want to be a happy audiophiler later on.    Just before I got engaged I showed the ring to an audiophile buddy he said  "Oh! you could have gotten another Krell amplifier!"  Don't skimp on the ring...

Aug 9, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #16,449 of 18,459
Sorry if this was mentioned earlier in the thread but do all rev 2's have the new ribbon cable? Or did the earlier rev 2's have the round jacketed cable?

I think the ribbon cable only came in a couple of weeks ago so I would imagine a few of the older REV2's will have the round cable, apparently the insides are no different according to Audeze.

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #16,450 of 18,459
My mid-June rev2's have the round cable. However I quickly swapped for the q-audio. 

Quote:
Sorry if this was mentioned earlier in the thread but do all rev 2's have the new ribbon cable? Or did the earlier rev 2's have the round jacketed cable?

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #16,452 of 18,459
http://www.avguide.com/review/follow-audezes-rev-2-drivers-the-lcd-2-headphone-playback-47?page=2

They mention improved transient response, is there any objective proof of this yet?

Been out of the loop for a while lol.

Aug 9, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #16,454 of 18,459
None I've seen. Only as noted by Audez'e themselves and mentioned in this review: it's a lighter diaphragm in exactly the same configuration. They don't say how much lighter. But all else being equal less mass means faster acceleration means improved transient response

Quote:
http://www.avguide.com/review/follow-audezes-rev-2-drivers-the-lcd-2-headphone-playback-47?page=2

They mention improved transient response, is there any objective proof of this yet?

Been out of the loop for a while lol.

Aug 9, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #16,455 of 18,459
Just got mines today! Only sad part is their paired with a Fiio E9... Being a college student sure is tough :frowning2:  Not sure if I have the ribbon or round cable though. Also was wondering if burn-in does anything to the cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back