Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 9, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #16,412 of 18,459
Looking forward to MH and Skylab weighing in on the debate. Where's Jude with his comprehensive comparisons?
popcorn.gif

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #16,413 of 18,459

Quote:
Yes, I did miss that point.  I'm not sure what "problems" you are referring to with the r.1's.  Overall it sounds like you've made some sweeping conclusions based upon far from ideal conditions.  The conclusions you've made - that LCD-2's are highly dependent on the upstream components, and wonder of wonders, sound better when they are fed with better upstream components that work well together - are pretty much a foregone conclusion one might make for any headphone that is remotely revealing of what is upstream of it. So HD650's worked well with an Opera and the v.2 did not sound so good with a Concerta....those are two different cans and two different amps....what do they have to do with each other.  Clearly one had synergy and one did not.  Are you aware of a pair of cans that sound great when the upstream components have poor synergy with them? 

By their recent comment, the other poster who went to the show would seem to support your own observations, whether or not they've noted it as such, that the synergy with upstream components might have been less than ideal (given their comparison with a portable amp).  Were I presented with such results at a show, I would draw no conclusions from I heard beyond the simple observation that you've made that the show environment is less than ideal for judging headphones, and that the specific upstream components being used feeding the LCD-2's did not suit them well at all. 

Saying that headphones sound best with upstream components that have synergy with them, well, it reminds me of this headline:

I attended that show in HK, too and am agreed the environment of the show is really poor to judge how the R2 sound with the set-up provided to demo the cans. Have followed this thread for a while and willing to find out if the R2 is a step up (or anything) from the R1, I grabbed it.

What I concur is a good set-up could make the LCD-2s sound better than the system use in the show, Both my R1 and R2 (connected with Apuresound V3) are driving from the WA5LE and a fully balanced 4 boards Beta22 that I believe should have adequate power and different presentation of sound signature, source is Linn Akurate DS and Oppo BDP-95. No conclusion to be make but I can only say and admitted the sound of the R2 is keep changing within the burn-in session, it is now have only 20hrs marked and I love the R2 over the R1.

Aug 9, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #16,415 of 18,459

Quote:
Too late for me. I demo'd this on a Saturday afternoon for over an hour while my girlfriend was keeping herself busy in the nearby neighborhood shops. She eventually came back and we started to drive home. When she asked me how it was, my reply was a simple "it was good." After five minutes, she remarked, "Oh jeez, you loved it didn't you? You're quiet and you have that look in your eye. You're soooo getting one, aren't you?" She was right, I was cooking up some way to move some money around to afford it as that sound has crept into my mind and hasn't let go. 

Hmmmmmmm.  she could be audiophile wife material...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 9, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #16,417 of 18,459

Quote:
Too late for me. I demo'd this on a Saturday afternoon for over an hour while my girlfriend was keeping herself busy in the nearby neighborhood shops. She eventually came back and we started to drive home. When she asked me how it was, my reply was a simple "it was good." After five minutes, she remarked, "Oh jeez, you loved it didn't you? You're quiet and you have that look in your eye. You're soooo getting one, aren't you?" She was right, I was cooking up some way to move some money around to afford it as that sound has crept into my mind and hasn't let go. 

Haha...nice story and sounds like a perceptive girlfriend there.  Beware!

Just kidding.  Enjoy the headphones!

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #16,418 of 18,459
Have I missed jude's comparison yet?

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #16,419 of 18,459
Floydfan are you going straight from your computer to your Lyr with your FLAC music? If so that is definitely an issue, get that Bifrost with the USB option on order! If your SACD has coaxial out then it's a double win.

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #16,422 of 18,459

Quote:

Not yet... you also might be interested that Skylab has also decided he is going to try out the Rev 2s.

Quote:
So I got my Rev. 2s today at work. I came home for lunch and put them on my iPod and got about 8 hours of burn in on them. Currently A-Bing with my Rev. 1s.

Will post back later in the week, but both definitely share very similar DNA.
smile.gif

Man this threat is going fast.
Looking forward to your findings Macedonian and Skylab

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #16,423 of 18,459
 To me the sound feels a little more open and airy. Very clean versus being slightly congested with the stock. It may be part placebo, but I think it's an improvement. Plus the q-audio and other cloth covered brands are lighter and easier to manage than the stock. 

Quote:
The LCD-2 is starting to sound magical to me now; maybe it's because I'm accepting the sound I'm hearing from it instead of wanting it to be different. 

I'm curious: how has the Q Audio cable affected the sound of your LCD-2 in relation to the stock cable? 

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #16,424 of 18,459
That's just the initial awe. the rest will come after the first 50-100 (see WA's burn-in comments). 
o2smile.gif

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back