Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 2, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #15,946 of 18,459
My LCD-2s arrived today and man are these just effortlessly smooth, yet fast, with no distortion whatsoever, the kick drum sounds incredible! Listened at work most of the day with no fatigue at all, very comfortable on my head as well.

Forgive me if it's been mentioned prior in this thread, but what's the consensus with burn-in and planar magnetic headphones? ...sure there may not be one overall consensus, but what are your experiences? where should i expect a change and after how many hours?

I'm not at all disappointed with the sound, they're an excellent compliment to my Grado 325is... just curious as to what to expect.

Aug 2, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #15,947 of 18,459
My LCD-2s arrived today and man are these just effortlessly smooth, yet fast, with no distortion whatsoever, the kick drum sounds incredible! Listened at work most of the day with no fatigue at all, very comfortable on my head as well.

Forgive me if it's been mentioned prior in this thread, but what's the consensus with burn-in and planar magnetic headphones? ...sure there may not be one overall consensus, but what are your experiences? where should i expect a change and after how many hours?

I'm not at all disappointed with the sound, they're an excellent compliment to my Grado 325is... just curious as to what to expect.

No consensus, as usual :D

EDIT: Noticed you nickname, any link with the dog?

Aug 2, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #15,948 of 18,459

Quote:

Best if you let us know if you hear any changes.

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #15,949 of 18,459
Hi guys, I am looking for an upgrade for my HE5 and I am thinking of getting the LCD2 (its rev 1 btw, a friend offered me at a good price).. now coming from a hifiman guy (I am mainly atreble guy because im used to brighter headphones like the HE5, K701, audio technica's AD line)..

what im looking for is a more balanced HE5 with less treble and a fuller sound (yet still maintains speed and clarity). now i have heard the darker HE5LE which i like a lot but cud use a tad more mid. I also have a HD580 (which is basically the same as a HD600) which is darker than most of my collection.. I heard that the LCD is even darker than the HD650..

So, is the rev 1 for me? thanks guys :)

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #15,950 of 18,459
Hi guys, I am looking for an upgrade for my HE5 and I am thinking of getting the LCD2 (its rev 1 btw, a friend offered me at a good price).. now coming from a hifiman guy (I am mainly atreble guy because im used to brighter headphones like the HE5, K701, audio technica's AD line)..

what im looking for is a more balanced HE5 with less treble and a fuller sound (yet still maintains speed and clarity). now i have heard the darker HE5LE which i like a lot but cud use a tad more mid. I also have a HD580 (which is basically the same as a HD600) which is darker than most of my collection.. I heard that the LCD is even darker than the HD650..

I would in a heartbeat. :D

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #15,951 of 18,459
     Quote:

If you call yourself a treble guy, you may find the rev1 lacking in treble extension, in which case you could recable it or try the rev2, which has more treble extension than the rev1.

I've not heard the HE-5 or HE-5LE, but if you like HiFiMAN you may want to try the HE-500. It's an excellent headphone that has a bit more treble extension than the LCD-2 rev1, and is more forward-sounding. The LCD-2 rev.2 could be described as having a sound somewhere in between the sound of the LCD-2 rev1 and the HE-500.

I'd say try before you buy if you can and let your ears tell you what you like. As another point of reference, here are my reviews of the LCD-2 rev1 and the HE-500.

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #15,952 of 18,459
You should hear percussion on the Rev1.

I was comparing the 2 to the 1 the other night on Explorations in Space and Time (the Chesky binaural percussion recording), and the Rev1 to my ears was clearly the more natural and enjoyable sound.

My Rev2 has around 300 hours on it now. It is a great headphone, no doubt. But there is a slight treble sheen on everything that to my hearing is not quite natural.

I wish I could have the clarity, detail and precision of the 2 with the natural tonal characteristics of the 1.

A man torn in two.

Quote:
My LCD-2s arrived today and man are these just effortlessly smooth, yet fast, with no distortion whatsoever, the kick drum sounds incredible!

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #15,953 of 18,459
    Quote:
You should hear percussion on the Rev1.

I was comparing the 2 to the 1 the other night on Explorations in Space and Time (the Chesky binaural percussion recording), and the Rev1 to my ears was clearly the more natural and enjoyable sound.

My Rev2 has around 300 hours on it now. It is a great headphone, no doubt. But there is a slight treble sheen on everything that to my hearing is not quite natural.

I wish I could have the clarity, detail and precision of the 2 with the natural tonal characteristics of the 1.

I agree with that. Have you tried the rev1 with a different cable?

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #15,954 of 18,459
@MacedonianHero: Have you tried the LCD-2 rev2? Also, did you find recabling the rev1 affected the sound much, particularly of the treble and bass? FYI: I found the rev1 bass slightly boomy/muddy in relation to natural, and thought that the treble could have been ever-so-slightly more extended.

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #15,955 of 18,459

Quote:
     Quote:

If you call yourself a treble guy, you may find the rev1 lacking in treble extension, in which case you could recable it or try the rev2, which has more treble extension than the rev1.

I've not heard the HE-5 or HE-5LE, but if you like HiFiMAN you may want to try the HE-500. It's an excellent headphone that has a bit more treble extension than the LCD-2 rev1, and is more forward-sounding. The LCD-2 rev.2 could be described as having a sound somewhere in between the sound of the LCD-2 rev1 and the HE-500.

I'd say try before you buy if you can and let your ears tell you what you like. As another point of reference, here are my reviews of the LCD-2 rev1 and the HE-500.

Thank you for the suggestions Windsor and MacedonianHero.. I am actually having a hard time decideing between the two lol.. :)

Windsor, seing that u have the M50 and the HD600, how do they compare with the LCD? i dont mind the different sound signatures and the 'getting used to' process to a darker headphone.. I personally own an earsonics SM3 which is mid and bass oriented (less treble extension but pretty good clarity) and I love it so much.. its just dat if I am to get either the LCD2 (rev 1) or the HE500, i wud have to sell the SM3 and i have seriously considered that.. i want a better desktop setup :)

btw FYI, in my country a new HE500 is around 850 USD and a new LCD2 is 1350 USD, which is insane.. my friend is offering his LCD at 850 USD :)

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #15,958 of 18,459
@MacedonianHero: Have you tried the LCD-2 rev2? Also, did you find recabling the rev1 affected the sound much, particularly of the treble and bass? FYI: I found the rev1 bass slightly boomy/muddy in relation to natural, and thought that the treble could have been ever-so-slightly more extended.

I haven't yet....I found the Silver Dragon a great "final touch" to the LCD-2s (especially balanced). It slightly improved the mids/treble without any negative affects to the bass. In terms of boomy/muddy bass, I don't hear it...you might want to revisit your amp/dac/source. The LCD-2s are very transparent and reveal what you have upstream.

Cheers.

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #15,959 of 18,459
I would agree with the idea that the Rev1 bass is slightly muddy in comparison to the Rev2. The Rev 2 has better speed and separation down there.

Still, the Rev1 bass is awesome enough
wink_face.gif

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #15,960 of 18,459

Quote:
     Quote:

If you're a treble guy, you should not buy the LCD-2, but any number of flagships that have heaps of treble.  Why buy an apple and then wish it was an orange. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back