Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 2, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #15,931 of 18,459
Universals IEMs are generally no match to customs in terms of SQ though. I really appreicate the Westone 4 but when compared with my Westone ES5 and UE18 Pro, it is quite obvious that it is still a legaue behind. The best custom IEMs do rival the top end headphones including the LCD2 and may even better the LCD2 in terms of clarity, but the biggest drawback is the soundstage. In my limited experience with headphones, I would say that headphones generally have better sound stage than IEMs, but not very much better. It is not like jumping from IEMs / headphones to speakers, but the difference is certainly there. 

And even though these customs are no match to my LCD2 driven from the Leben or my Stax SR009, I am still amazed at the sound quality they can produce just by pluggin one of them onto an iPhone. Being able to hear such sound quality at crowded places creates an unreal feeling at times (also depends on the music you are listening to).

Now I am quite interested in the Smyth Realiser to see if that will be a game changer. I have a Pioneer 5.1 headphone system. It produces quite a good image of the front sound stage but not for the surround sound, i.e. sound from behind and the sides (I have a full blown 7.1 home theatre to compare with so it may be a fit unfair). I wonder what the Smyth Realizer can do. 

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #15,933 of 18,459
Aug 2, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #15,934 of 18,459
Aug 2, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #15,935 of 18,459

Quote:
Less talk about IEMs, more about LCD-2s... please?

its not the destination , but how you get there.  
beerchug.gif

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #15,936 of 18,459
Aug 2, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #15,937 of 18,459
A question was raised awhile back on this thread about a IEM that sounds like a LCD2.  About three months ago I bought a pair of Q-Jays and the first thing that came across my mind when I put them on was: "man this thing sounds like the LCD2".  Since the subject of IEMs is being brought up again I would like to give my opinion of this tiny IEM. 

For under $200, this dual balance armature IEM is so small, it almost disappears in your ears, I have small ears.  Its size was the main reason for my purchase but I was truly impressed with its sound.  I have tried a dual and a triple custom IEM before and I have to say this little universal sounds more natural then the both of them.  Of course you will not be getting all the sound that makes the LCD2 a LCD2.  For around $179 you are getting a high quality universal IEM that has the general tone and frequency curve of the LCD2.  I can throw a bunch of audiophile terminology around to compare these two items but lets just face it, there's just no way a sub $200 product will stand up against the Audeze.  What you are getting for your money is  very comfortable IEM that has that pleasant sound signature of the LCD2.  I think that this is due to the very flat RF curve that the Q-Jays has that makes it sound like the LCD2.  It's treble response sounds more rolled off but there is a spike in there so it is still exciting.

To keep on topic.  When wearing the Jays, you do feel like a elephant wearing the LCD2.

Here are Tyll's graphs of the two.  Very similar curve.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/JaysqJAY.pdf

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #15,938 of 18,459

Quote:
3) Weight? Neck pain? I totally don't get this. I don't have arthritis or neck problems so maybe I'm privileged. They just don't seem that heavy to me. A motorcycle helmet, even a half-helmet, is MASSIVELY heavier. 

What is there not to get?  You don't understand it because you haven't experienced it yourself.  Simple as that. 

If you are unlucky enough, Arthritis can even start at a young age.  For me, it began at the age of 26 but that is by no means as young as some.

As regards motorcycle helmets, you are right that they are usually 3-4 times heavier than the LCD-2's.  I ride a bike myself but it doesn't seem to trigger off pain as easily as wearing the LCD's.  Possibly because you lean down towards the handlebars and that supports the weight to some degree?.  

Hmm, suppose I could bring the motorbike into the living room when listening to music but not sure the girlfriend would approve 
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #15,939 of 18,459
A question for all of you, especially those who find wearing the LCD-2 painful after a while:

How do you wear the LCD-2? When your head is strictly vertical, how is the A on the grille positioned, exactly vertical? rotated slightly counterclockwise (ie backwards), rotated clockwise (ie forward) ?
This is of course related to headband positioning but the rotation of the cups is a much more precise description than the position of the headband.

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #15,940 of 18,459

Quote:
A question for all of you, especially those who find wearing the LCD-2 painful after a while:

How do you wear the LCD-2? When your head is strictly vertical, how is the A on the grille positioned, exactly vertical? rotated slightly counterclockwise (ie backwards), rotated clockwise (ie forward) ?
This is of course related to headband positioning but the rotation of the cups is a much more precise description than the position of the headband.

I have my head slightly forward and slightly looking down, and the LCD-2 turned slightly toward the back of my head.
So the headband rests exactly on the top of my head in it's current position.

As for the "A" position relative to ground - take the LCD-2 off, hold a finger horizontally, and put the headphones on your finger, making it a support, free of any moment.
That is how they should rest on your head.

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #15,941 of 18,459
I think I must be luck from all the Boxing and Rugby I did as a teenager as I find no pain in my neck or shoulders from wearing these phones. Fact is actually they are the most comfortable I have ever worn of any headphone. Because of the weight they plant themselves on the head and don't move!

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #15,942 of 18,459
I'll admit the LCD2s are pretty heavy phones, but I sit in a normal chair with the LCD2 while reading (for long periods) and have NEVER experieced the reported neck pain with them. That I find their overall weight annoying and uncomfortable is about as far as I can push it. 

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #15,943 of 18,459
Ah, motorcycles in the living room, brings back memories. Shared a house once with two other guys, and it wasn't unusual to find a bike (or pieces thereof) downstairs. Another kept his collection of Muncie 4-speed transmissions on display, and then there was my radial arm saw.

To anyone in the LA area, this weekend (Sunday Aug. 7) there will be a meeting of the Los Angeles/Orange County Audio Society in Buena Park featuring a number of headphone and amp companies including Audeze. I think their website is laocaudiosociety.com but google to be sure.

I'm thinking of making the drive from San Diego north county, if anyone wants to carpool, please contact me.

And while there may be better phones for electronica, I feel the LCDs are excellent. Try Banco de Gaia, for example.

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #15,944 of 18,459
Inner Fidelity has a new LCD-2 rev. 2 graph. I don't know when it went up.

Rev. 1 graph (or at least I think it's Rev. 1)
Rev. 2 graph

Thoughts?

Impedance went up 9 ohms. %THD+N went down a good bit and is a little more even across the measured spectrum. Square wave response was tightened up a tiny bit, especially between left and right drivers, and there's slightly more overshoot now. Impulse response is much tamer now.

Frequency response shows pretty much identical bass. Slightly more midrange (may just be a matter of placement on the dummy). The 9kHz treble spike was reduced, there's about the same amount in the sibilant range but the loss of the 9kHz spike may make sibilance seem relatively more pronounced. Post-10kHz treble looks to be boosted a little, but it's hard to tell because it would be heavily impacted by placement.

All in all LCD-2 rev. 1 had some of the best looking measurements I've seen, and rev. 2 looks to have improved just slightly. Not enough to make anyone with rev. 1 run out and get it, but enough that I'm glad I went for a new one.

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #15,945 of 18,459
I just tabbed both and flipped side to side, really very little difference between both pairs I thought, slight movement but not much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back