Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 29, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #15,676 of 18,459

Quote:
I was disappointed with the finish of my LCD-2. The left and right wood housing are different in tone and the left leather pad is smooth like it's worn in. It gives the impression I received a Frankenstein unit (two cans made into one). There are some rough areas in the wood, but the biggest gripe for me is a chip on the left cup.

That doesn't look right. If you aren't happy then you should contact them and tell them what's wrong. Did you do that?

Jul 29, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #15,677 of 18,459
To me, this is pretty common. it's wood. not plastic or metal. You will always get flaws. like gripe or wood mark. I won't bother that too much.

Quote:
I was disappointed with the finish of my LCD-2. The left and right wood housing are different in tone and the left leather pad is smooth like it's worn in. It gives the impression I received a Frankenstein unit (two cans made into one). There are some rough areas in the wood, but the biggest gripe for me is a chip on the left cup.

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #15,678 of 18,459
I could probably live with those things provided that the sound was fine, but if it bugs you, then definitely send it back.  These things aren't cheap, and we're all obsessive enough that it could affect resale value (if you were to sell them).  I don't think a chip is par for the course.

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #15,680 of 18,459
It's a pretty big enlargement of a relatively small defect. I can see Tupac's point, that by its nature wood isn't perfect.

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #15,682 of 18,459
Like I said, there are other blemishes that compound to detract from the overall finish. The right housing seems newer and more polished, whilst the left housing is rougher and of a lighter tone of wood. With the seemingly worn in left pad (the right pad looks brand new), I admit it's crossed my mind whether Audeze have resorted to recycling some of their recent returns (wild speculation).

In the end though, it's all about the sound and what I'm hearing alleviates my disappointment. I've emailed Sankar, but I don't expect anything of them. It seems a lot of hassle (shipping back from Australia) for minor blemishes. I just wanted to bring it to their attention.

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #15,683 of 18,459
My LCD-2s finally arrived. Headroom got them in stock yesterday, and only took 24 hours after to arrive (17 hours after they shipped them). Free next day air almost makes up for the week and a half wait 
biggrin.gif

Doesn't matter anyway, I'm not returning them. I'm really surprised. They've got a lot more treble than I expected. I guess I convinced myself they had a veil of some sort and that I'd have to listen for cymbals to hear them. Not true at all. They've actually got as much treble energy as my slightly EQed HF2 (in fact they sound surprisingly similar balance-wise, but more "even"). It's less harsh though, no big peaks. Judging from my frequency graph I got a slightly treble-happy LCD-2, which is fine by me.

They're surprisingly comfortable too, but I've been living with Grados. The clamp is hard, but the pads are so soft it doesn't matter. The leather headband looks great and is way more comfortable than the HF2s. I don't even notice the weight yet.

Welcome me to the club 
smily_headphones1.gif

My wood looks spotless. I'll give them a thorough checkup later. I couldn't care less right now.

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #15,685 of 18,459
Actually, I've got the exact same problem, the wood is slightly chipped just above the mini xlr connector.
And on both sides!!!

I just found them minor enough not to complain about.

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #15,686 of 18,459
So that's what LCD-2's look like under a microscope...LoL. J/K Considering the price point, if your not happy with the end-product no matter how slight, you should definitely let them know. Who knows they might have a solution that you like. They were stand up guys and were more than accommodating.

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #15,687 of 18,459

Quote:
So that's what LCD-2's look like under a microscope...LoL. J/K Considering the price point, if your not happy with the end-product no matter how slight, you should definitely let them know. Who knows they might have a solution that you like. They were stand up guys and were more than accommodating.

At first glance, I would have scoffed at the minor differences, but having though about it. I think the cosmetic defects are enough of a problem to warrant a discussion with the Audeze crew.

I mean, if my friend and I ordered a pair of LCD-2's each and his one came out perfect (as opposed to mine) I would be less than happy with a cosmetically inferior product.

Alas... consistency is a hard thing to achieve in such a small company, Audeze are doing very well with what little time and resources they have.

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #15,688 of 18,459
So minor that if you apply 2 drops of oil and polish it goes away...

Quote:
 I just found them minor enough not to complain about.

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #15,690 of 18,459
So there's apparently an ADZ-6 cable recently released by Audeze. I wonder how the sound might differ from the 2 older stock versions.

From the picture alone it seems that they added the y-splitter and refined the ends of the wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back