Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 20, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #15,167 of 18,459

Quote:
If one enjoys their HPs one night, I find it difficult to comprehend how that enjoyment can be diminished the next day by the release of an "upgraded" HP. I have a rev.1 and have no desire to listen to a rev.2.

I wasnt satisfied completely by the rev1. That doesnt mean I didnt enjoy them. I just found certain things lacking that the rev2 fixed a little.

You never upgrade anything that you enjoy? A car, clothes, a wife, nothing? It is not a hard concept to upgrade to something you deem better. It doesnt mean that the old still isnt enjoyable. It just means that the new has something better that I was looking for to make it even more enjoyable.

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #15,168 of 18,459

Quote:
Then just don't use your headphones until your hair is dry.   Do you know that somebody destroyed a pair of Kevin Gillmore's Stax 007s by doing that?  They apparently had wet hair and put on his 007s and ruined tham.  Killed 'em dead.  Boy was he pissed, and I don't blame him.  That's pretty irresponsible and  disrespectful of someone else's property.  BTW, that's what moisture does to electrostatic cans...  It will destroy them.  Have a little respect for your cans and treat them right.  If you do, you'll be able to pass them along to your kids.

I'b be afraid of current arcing through my cerebellum!

Coroner:  COD Brain Arc

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #15,169 of 18,459
I think it is a mistake to say something is better just because it may sound diffrent. I to have no thought about getting the Rev 2 version.
Then you start all over dialing them in to your system. Just because the second version works for some does not in any way say to me they are better. In fact to me the best headphone is the one you have that is working for you. I went through this with the HD600 and the HD650
There is no clear winner and both do well with the right equipment. I would say this is the same case. These are the only headphones I have no desire to upgrade to me they are perfect and cover all forms of music I listen to better then any thing I have ever had or listened to.
Some people just have no rest day or night always looking for something diffrent or new. In the end it is almost never better just diffrent and in a day or so they will go I guess these werent what I thought. And we will all go we know been there done that. And so it goes in the land of headphones.

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #15,170 of 18,459

Quote:
that part about almost all r2 owners saying they heard a change after burn in is not quite true. i've been following the thread and there hasn't been that many comments on that, merely a handful - I would say less than 5 people. I myself have asserted that I didn't hear any change significant enough to discount effects of placebo.

Yeah but your hair is always wet!

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #15,172 of 18,459
Have the Q Audio myself (1.5m) and is fairly satisfied. Felt I lost some bass & excitement, but gained some details / liquid. What made you appreciate the Q Audio (except for the feather weight). :)

Quote:
It gets along very well!  I'm using a Q-cable with my rev.2s and it sounds great. 
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #15,173 of 18,459
Quote:
Have the Q Audio myself (1.5m) and is fairly satisfied. Felt I lost some bass & excitement, but gained some details / liquid. What made you appreciate the Q Audio (except for the feather weight). :)

I went from a Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable to the Q Audio cable and didn't feel like I lost anything...just gained comfort and lightness.  That being said, I have to admit that I've rolled tons of tubes in my Lyr amp and found tubes that may have compensated for any perceived loss of bass and /or excitement.  All I know at the moment is the Q Audio cable gives me all the bass, treble, detail, and excitement I need.  Of course it's all IMHO and YMMV. 
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #15,175 of 18,459

Quote:

I have both the Q-Audio 3m cable and an ALO radial chainmail, and to my ears, there is no lack of bass in the Q-Audio cables.  If anything, it's cleaner, particularly when things get really busy.

Jul 20, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #15,176 of 18,459
For the sake of good order: I´m not comparing the Q Audio cable with the ALO, but the stock cable.

Jul 20, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #15,177 of 18,459

Quote:

I wasnt satisfied completely by the rev1. That doesnt mean I didnt enjoy them. I just found certain things lacking that the rev2 fixed a little.

You never upgrade anything that you enjoy? A car, clothes, a wife, nothing? It is not a hard concept to upgrade to something you deem better. It doesnt mean that the old still isnt enjoyable. It just means that the new has something better that I was looking for to make it even more enjoyable.

i like your thinking

Jul 20, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #15,178 of 18,459

Quote:
For the sake of good order: I´m not comparing the Q Audio cable with the ALO, but the stock cable.

It's not that the newest stock cable is "bad" or anything, but I prefer either of the after market cables I have to the stock one for many reasons.

Jul 20, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #15,179 of 18,459
The LCD-2 Rev 2's I ordered just arrived.  Given where I'm at right now (without any of my media drives, or any of my primary rigs), I'm in what I call coffee house mode, listening to Spotify Premium, and driving the LCD-2 Rev 2 from the Fostex HP-A3 (which is a USB bus-powered DAC/amp).

I was just using the LCD-2 Rev 1 before this, and the changes are noticeable, but the LCD-2 personality is still very much in effect (which is a good thing).  That said, crisper is a word I'd use, right off the bat, and I mean that entirely positively.  I won't say much more than that--not until after I get a chance to get my lossless files and primary rigs in front of both versions, side by side.  Then I'll definitely be talkin'.

Jul 20, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #15,180 of 18,459

Quote:
The LCD-2 Rev 2's I ordered just arrived.  Given where I'm at right now (without any of my media drives, or any of my primary rigs), I'm in what I call coffee house mode, listening to Spotify Premium, and driving the LCD-2 Rev 2 from the Fostex HP-A3 (which is a USB bus-powered DAC/amp).

I was just using the LCD-2 Rev 1 before this, and the changes are noticeable, but the LCD-2 personality is still very much in effect (which is a good thing).  That said, crisper is a word I'd use, right off the bat, and I mean that entirely positively.  I won't say much more than that--not until after I get a chance to get my lossless files and primary rigs in front of both versions, side by side.  Then I'll definitely be talkin'.

Looking forward to your report Jude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back