Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 18, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #15,001 of 18,459
AAAAH!  The world ended and I slept right through it! 
eek.gif

Oh well, wouldn't be the first time.
wink_face.gif

biggrin.gif

Cheers everybody! 
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #15,005 of 18,459
My sister was over last evening and listened to the LCD-2s. She was awestruck by the sound, but even moreso by the price, not being into this stuff.

And she loved the look of the phones. I don't think anyone will be disappointed by the fit-n'-finish, if prospective buyers are wondering.

As to weight, I don't find it a bother since I am reasonably manly (ahem.) But if you're the sort who likes to boogie, beware of inertia. If you move too suddenly, the phones might tend to stay where they are even after your head has shifted. The cure is to lie down or recline whenever possible.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #15,007 of 18,459
Grose. Looks like it shxx it self all over the potatos before getting fried. 

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #15,008 of 18,459

Yummm!!!!  But seriously, I don't know if LCD2 or Auido-gd is the longest the most intense running FOTM.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #15,010 of 18,459
Audeze Grilled Hamster au Gratin.  You can see the little bugger'd already grown a bit on the trip from Nevada.  The trick is to flatten'em real good with that Roofing Shingle Remover I linked to previously.  This simultaneously dispatches the varmit while tenderizing the meat.  The long handle allows doing this at a safe distance.  Use of a traditional meat tenderizing hammer does not come without risk.  At that distance the nasty rodent can take your arm clean off in a split second.  Speculation on the potato side dish?  Well now y'all are just disgusting. 

Jul 18, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #15,011 of 18,459

wow. you ****** cried?  I'm very sure if you're listening to volumes that are 80db and below you won't get fatigued by the r2s... unless you're using some beastly amp that adds sibilance on its own. since you already have an r1 i think it's a good decision to keep it. for people who're looking to get new though, i really cant' see a reason to buy the older one.. but to each his own.

and the part about >95% of your music haven't significant artifacts.. I would think that there's something wrong with your playback system somewhere. This should definitely not be the case. while there're bad recordings, recordings with clips and artifacts should comprise a very small part of your collection, less if you're a discerning listener. even modern pop recordings usually don't have serious errors.  I have 23032 tracks, and can safely that 99.9% of my tracks don't have issues, not any that are audible anyway.

btw hk, which moody blues albums would you recommend?
Quote:
Pads on LCD2s are hand-made, resulting in dysymetries and irregularities, but :

Classic : the foam inside the pad was hand cutted
Rev1  : the foam is industrially cutted for more precision and consistence, couture is still handmade

Tyll posted a pic comparing the two pads, despite the "classic" pads looking thinner, in fact they make the same angle

Then there is two groups of people, the ones who believe they noticed a sound change between their old version and the rev1 and the ones who don't...I cannot say exactly the pourcentages but i believe the latter group is more ponderous
ph34r.gif

If the pads don't make a change (since the angle is the same) there is no point making a distinction classic/rev1.
To add a little spice, the grill changed too, and that could have affect the sound (try covering one grill with your hand and you'll notice dramatical sonic channge)

On REV1/REV2 : after reading all the posts, i decided to keep my rev1 :

-creamy vocals oh yeah, they are 'in my head' it's involving
-i discovered i really hate brightness, i tried many times to eq the 2s adding a little bit high frequencies, it always translated in a more fatiguing sound. The ability for a headphone to be non-fatiguing is something i under-estimated before. I can listen rev1 for hours, even cranking up the volume, without having those ear-piercing highs that i hate so much. I understand rev2 does not add brightness for some, but i really don't wanna take the risk since i already find rev1 "perfect" for me.
-I'm not so fond of details as i thought i was. Most of the records i own have a lot of flaws (and i believe that is like >95% recordings have really significant artefacts/popping sounds,etc...) and i'm not sure i want to take all the defects of the record in my face, being able to listen only to the best audiophile quality recordings...
-last night for the first time i cried listening to my headphones...not because of the music, but because of the sound, the way it was portrayed by the LCD2...i think i turned an audiophile last night...
-maybe the rev1 has become somewhat 'unique' in the way they portray the sound (especially on vocals)
-remember i'm not saying that rev2 does not present the qualities i stated, i just don't wanna take the risk of losing them :wink:

On comfort : yes the LCD2 is heavy, but it is the most comfortable headphones i own (DT880, K701, HD650). With every other headphones, i'll find that they'll hurt somewhere around my head in less than an hour whereas i can wear the LCD2 as long as i want.

Jul 18, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #15,012 of 18,459
To me, I love the rev2 more and more each day. The vocals and the soundastage seem much more natural than the rev1. Also the layering of the stage  is awesome. To be able to hear the vocal in the middle center and here the instruments behind the vocal in there own clearly defined space make it a pleasure to listen to. I didnt get the as much with the rev1.

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #15,013 of 18,459

Quote:
Definitely quote the picture again I haven't quite taken in the texture of the diarrhea. 

I literally ROFLed. :D

I guess we just turned the whole rodent kind against us.

Back on topic of the Rev1, vs Rev2 : it's all about physics.

Thinner and lighter (lite-er?) diaphragm is easier to push, has more resolution, low amplitude high frequencies
and flexibility - hence wide soundstage, high detail level and longer burn in process.
Thicker and heavier diaphragm means less 'weak' high frequencies which essentially means
less details but also less self-inflicted distortion - hence 'creamy' and 'intimate' sound.
A little 'holy war with a smile'  we're having here proves there are enough fans for both,
and perhaps Audeze can start a parallel line of headphones (rather than modifying the original LCD-2) with 
faster and 'younger' sound signature.

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #15,014 of 18,459

Quote:
I agree. They're not as stark sounding as they were in the first week or so. The choice gets more complicated every day that I listen. I really think that the only way for me to be happy now is to have both. I just know that as soon as I swap I'll start missing rev2. 

I've been burning them in for some time now pretty much day and night and they have gotten smoother. People can believe it or not. For those who don't nothing is going to change their minds.   Anyone taking the r.2 right out of the box and then judging their sound that quickly should give then an extensive burn in and then reevaluate.   As for keeping the two version I would say anyone who can afford to do that should do it.  We all know the r.1 is a great headphone.  Quick impressions on the r.2 is shortchanging yourself, not just because it needs burn in but longer evaluation will give you a better understanding of what the r.2 is doing.   When I first starting reading this thread I came upon many postings of  folks who did not like the LCD-2.  It was their quick response to these cans.  but then after sometime with their LCD's passed I'd see posts saying that after extensive listening they began to appreciate the LCD's.

Listening to Patricia Barber right now and no sense at all of any hardness, but then again the recording doesn't have that type of sonic aberration to it.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back