Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 6, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #13,426 of 18,459
Just to clarify for those us who haven't read all 900+ pages of this thread...
1.  There are some rev1 drivers that were defective but not all of them.  True or there are some classics that also failed?
2.  Defective drivers is in reference to the ones that eventually stopped working or all rev1 are defective due to some faulty part and only some will fail?  I would definitely say mine is creamy but I'm hoping its creamy forever.

From what little I know my original pair were what is being termed classic, they were replaced by new drivers of the same material but it went through a tougher testing regime and also closer tolerance matching and long burn in ( all this according to the May 27th update on their blog). And my replacement drivers are still wonderfully creamy just not as much but I must stress this is a very very minor difference!

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #13,427 of 18,459

Quote:
Yoga, good call on asking for a clarification.  Sankar's update renders 85% of the last 300-odd posts in this thread useless.  

I can't say I know what to make of Audez'e's descriptions of the signature thus far and at this point am just waiting for Warrior Ant's impressions, whose mutant powers are very reliable--it seems he was spot on about the FR graphs.

Actually, I remember Grokit posting something interesting about the FR of the new drivers and old drivers w/ new pads being almost identical.  

I won't get to my LCD-s until Friday.  The absence of any headphone is giving me the chance to finally write some comments on the V200.  But I have to say this about anything I might have to say outside a comparison of the 2 LCD-s.  My observations about the LCD-s in general and the V200 may not be very valid when placed in the larger picture of the headphone landscape considering I've never had a headphone rig before.  The LCD-2's are the only cans I ever heard outside my daughters Audio Technica AD700's and her Grado 80is which are like toys in comparison to the LCD-2's.  I have an impression of the V200 which is very favorable but I cannot compare it to anything else because I've never heard another head amp.  My impressions are really impressions of a marriage of the DAC-2, V200, and LCD-2.  I have no way of separating out the DAC/Amp/Headphone in the equation nor do I have the experience of comparing any of the trio against anything else past or present.

I do use the W4S DAC-2 in a speaker rig and I can say it is an impressive unit.  I've used the LCD-2 with an NAD 7225PE receiver and out the back of the DAC-2 before I received the V200 and I know how the LCD-2 sounded from those two sources but thats about it.  I know that when I changed out an MIT MI 330 unbalanced cable between the DAC-2 and the V200 and replaced it with a balanced cable sold by W4S the LCD's came alive.  The MIT MI 330 cable was really holding the rig back.

When I read the description Audeze worded on their website about the changes to the new drivers I came away with the sense that the tonal balance has remained, that the treble has not increased in freq amplitude but in extension slightly. That the thinner driver has resulted in a faster driver which has given the LCD perhaps the ability to resolve a bit more inner detail.   Inner detail clues may result in an increased perception of soundstage and imaging.  I don't expect the soundstage to increase dramatically.   

These thought are of course only my pondering on Audezes descriptions to the sound however I owned the Martin Logan CLS II's from their inception up through all the revision they made to the electrostatic panels and when ever they made a revision to the panel it was usually to make the panel thinner and faster.  The results never strayed from the sound of speaker at all, they just became a little more refined in very very small ways.  Usually very small improvements to inner detail, imaging, soundstaging and treble extension. But as anyone who loves electrostatics knows no improvement in treble response can ever be groundbreaking with planar type transducers without adding a tweeter.  

So without tainting the LCD-2 with overly hopeful expectations I'm pretty much thinking that the change to the driver is not going to be anything nearing day and night but more like very subtle, very small changes overall.   I think the guys at Audeze are pretty smart guys who don't have knee jerk reactions to change the sound of the LCD-2. I think they looked at the driver over time and simply found ways to improve on them mostly by making the driver thinner. The drivers are probably of a design that was pretty good already and the only improvement that could be made were in the drivers thickness and perhaps on how the magic stuff they coat them with is prepared and applied.

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #13,428 of 18,459
Well said :¬)

Edit: as long as your gear is the same (which it is), the revision comparisons are relative, and hence, valid.

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #13,429 of 18,459

Quote:

I'm hoping daily use of the LCD2 will get rid of my pencil neck!
atsmile.gif

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/schultz8.htm

http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_item_478566.html?PID=3665722

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #13,431 of 18,459
Thanks for the clarification.  
Right now I think I'm interested in my May 2011 Rev1 and the classic and Rev2.
All of this discussion hasn't settled anything for me 
wink_face.gif

Maybe I can get one of these Audeze certified factory pre-owned LCD-2 classics that have been restored.

Quote:
From what little I know my original pair were what is being termed classic, they were replaced by new drivers of the same material but it went through a tougher testing regime and also closer tolerance matching and long burn in ( all this according to the May 27th update on their blog). And my replacement drivers are still wonderfully creamy just not as much but I must stress this is a very very minor difference!

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #13,433 of 18,459
You guys confuse me. Do we have 3 different sounding versions of the LCD-2:

- Classic (prior to May 27th)
- Rev. 1 (between May 27th and medio June)
- Rev. 2 (from medio June and onwards)

I thought we just had two versions and that there is no such thing as "Classic" nor "Rev. 1", just LCD-2 and LCD-2 Rev. 2.

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #13,434 of 18,459

Quote:
You guys confuse me. Do we have 3 different sounding versions of the LCD-2:

- Classic (prior to May 27th)
- Rev. 1 (between May 27th and medio June)
- Rev. 2 (from medio JUne and onwards)

I thought we just had two versions and that there is no such thing as "Classic" nor "Rev. 1", just LCD-2 and LCD-2 Rev. 2.

We need some sort of Linnaean arbitrator to set all this right. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #13,435 of 18,459
I´ll interpret that as a "yes" my dear Sir, and can rest asure that my March 2011 edition of the LCD-2 is a "classic", "rev. 1" and what have we not. I´m about to order a Rev. 2. Why? Why not.

Edit: I´m glad that I reside in a total other time zone than you guys. If not, I would not be able to read this thread. It´s like it is on stereoids.

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #13,436 of 18,459
REV 1 : -Old pads/new pads
             -Old Grill/new grill
             -Aluminium blocks/Plastic blocks
             -New inscriptions on the grill (3 changes over time)
             -Connectors angled (new) or facing down (old)
             -modification of the headband foam
             -wood color changes
             -old cable/ADZ5

All these changes happened during rev1, without the driver's changing (considering there have been no modification of the driver apart from the one audeze is annoucing us right now)

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #13,437 of 18,459
Thanks. Nice sum-up. :) I´m writing an LCD-2 review to my fellow Scandinavian head-fiers, so that list comes in handy.

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #13,438 of 18,459
             -Old Grill/new grill
             -wood color changes
             -old cable/ADZ5

All these changes happened during rev1, without the driver's changing (considering there have been no modification of the driver apart from the one audeze is annoucing us right now)

Very precise and informative, thank you.
Though remember the drivers made between the middle of May and the latest underwent much more rigorous testing procedures and finer tolerance matching between drivers for each headphone but used the same material which might very well be why we see differences with the graphs of those drivers compared to the older ones. Could that simply been down to longer burn in and higher tolerance matched pairs?

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #13,439 of 18,459

Quote:
I remember someone saying that the pads on the earliest production models didn't taper inward at the front. That they were thick like in the back. And that the change was an improvement that angled the driver toward the ear canal or something like that. I don't remember who said it or if it's true.

I believe I did say something along those lines but it had nothing to do with different drivers.

Quote:
I already find Rev1 more transparent and detailed than the classic. But I'm hoping that Rev2 can fix the occasional shouty upper mids of the Rev1.

Our first comparative impression, sounds like there may be a substantial difference after all.

Quote:
             -Old Grill/new grill
             -wood color changes
             -old cable/ADZ5

Don't forget the new earpads.

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #13,440 of 18,459
Speaking of "Rev1" inventory, I wonder how Audeze's retailers like RWA/ALO are dealing with their current inventory of Rev1 LCD-2s, if customers are asking them about the new headband and drivers when considering a purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back