Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 6, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #13,441 of 18,459
This maybe a bit hard to come across but do any of you guys own both Hifiman HE-5 and the new LCD-2 rev.2 ? I would love to see a comparison between the two. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #13,442 of 18,459
I used to have the HE-5, I miss it to some degree but everything is better with the LCD-2. The mids are much more present on the LCD-2, as the HE-5 has much more of a V-shaped presentation. Some may prefer the brighter highs presented by the HE-5 others may find that they border on sibilance.

Also the bass in much better on the LCD-2. The HE-5's bass has decent impact but not much texture or timbre and could be considered to be more of a one-note presentation in comparison to the LCD-2's bass.

Jul 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #13,443 of 18,459
i know there isnt such thing as perfect headphone. bt If I have 2 say one. I would give it to my LCD 2 without a doubt!!..

For me, it's already such a perfect headphone!! none of my other cans get a chance.

Jul 6, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #13,444 of 18,459
     Quote:
i know there isnt such thing as perfect headphone. bt If I have 2 say one. I would give it to my LCD 2 without a doubt!!..

For me, it's already such a perfect headphone!! none of my other cans get a chance.

The LCD-2 have provided me with the most realistic-sounding musical experience I've yet experienced through headphones.

Jul 6, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #13,445 of 18,459
I can't stop listening to music with the LCD-2s, they are incredible (Rev 1).

My 2 month old studio monitors will go up for sale soon, as they have become expensive decorations!

Jul 6, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #13,446 of 18,459

Quote:
I used to have the HE-5, I miss it to some degree but everything is better with the LCD-2. The mids are much more present on the LCD-2, as the HE-5 has much more of a V-shaped presentation. Some may prefer the brighter highs presented by the HE-5 others may find that they border on sibilance.

Also the bass in much better on the LCD-2. The HE-5's bass has decent impact but not much texture or timbre and could be considered to be more of a one-note presentation in comparison to the LCD-2's bass.

Thanks. I did own HE-5 and LCD-2 at the same time and when the time came to sell one of them, I sold the LCD-2. As a matter of fact, I do find the mids on the HE-5 more suitable to my liking than LCD-2 as well as the treble. Yes, bass... LCD-2 are clear winners in comparison. 

Anyway, I am more interested in the comparison with the newer LCD-2 to see if it has come close to HE-5 presentation a little bit more. Then I may consider selling the HE-5 and getting the newer LCD-2 

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #13,448 of 18,459
    Quote:
Wow -this thread just keeps going!

Of course!  It's part of Audez'e's evil plan to reach 1000 pages, then they can dominate the hamster world!!

...or something like that.
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #13,449 of 18,459

Quote:
Thanks. I did own HE-5 and LCD-2 at the same time and when the time came to sell one of them, I sold the LCD-2. As a matter of fact, I do find the mids on the HE-5 more suitable to my liking than LCD-2 as well as the treble. Yes, bass... LCD-2 are clear winners in comparison. 

Anyway, I am more interested in the comparison with the newer LCD-2 to see if it has come close to HE-5 presentation a little bit more. Then I may consider selling the HE-5 and getting the newer LCD-2 

What didn't you like about the LCD-2's mids? If there's anything the LCD-2 does well, it's the incredible mids.

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #13,450 of 18,459
What on earth is the hamster to do with the Audeze - having read this thread for awhile now _ I am more inclined to buy a hamster than the phones...or does a hamster come with the phones as part of a special promotion package?

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #13,452 of 18,459

Quote:
What didn't you like about the LCD-2's mids? If there's anything the LCD-2 does well, it's the incredible mids.

Well I didn't say I didn't like the LCD-2 mids. But I liked the presentation of the mids on the HE-5 more and still do. My main problem was that they reminded me of HD650 which I absolutely did not care for at all. But all of this should not be interpreted as me saying that I didn't like the LCD-2 or HE-5 were better... Otherwise I would not have followed this thread or considered buying a new pair of LCD-2 in the near future as I am now. We have different tastes and particular moments in listening to music. There are too many variables in music listening. Had I been in someone else's house, listening to their music with their taste and with their gear, I might not have had any of these thoughts. When I went to zilchomd (Mike)s house to pick up my gear, I listened to a Jeff Berlin song with my Stello DA100 - Stepdance - LCD-2 and the sound was just AMAZING. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #13,453 of 18,459
Jul 6, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #13,454 of 18,459

Quote:
Well I didn't say I didn't like the LCD-2 mids. But I liked the presentation of the mids on the HE-5 more and still do. My main problem was that they reminded me of HD650 which I absolutely did not care for at all. But all of this should not be interpreted as me saying that I didn't like the LCD-2 or HE-5 were better... Otherwise I would not have followed this thread or considered buying a new pair of LCD-2 in the near future as I am now. We have different tastes and particular moments in listening to music. There are too many variables in music listening. Had I been in someone else's house, listening to their music with their taste and with their gear, I might not have had any of these thoughts. When I went to zilchomd (Mike)s house to pick up my gear, I listened to a Jeff Berlin song with my Stello DA100 - Stepdance - LCD-2 and the sound was just AMAZING. 

See that's the funny thing. I hated the HD650 and imagined I would despise the LCD2 as well (and I actually did at first, as quite a few here know :p). That laid back, dark, and veiled sound was equally as bad as the cold, analytical kind. Yet the LCD-2's mids were positively jaw dropping.

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #13,455 of 18,459
I was considering an affordable speaker rig next, but I think you just helped me decide to skip it. 
beerchug.gif

For those asking for comparisons between the Rev2  and other cans like the HE's I can say this much. The comparisons to the Rev2 will pretty much mirror the Rev1, whatever they were. These differences we're discussing are not enough to change that. The sonic signature is essentially the same or even and amateur like me would have noticed it right away. 

Quote:
I can't stop listening to music with the LCD-2s, they are incredible (Rev 1).

My 2 month old studio monitors will go up for sale soon, as they have become expensive decorations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back