Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jun 13, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #12,556 of 18,459
I have found the LCD-2 to respond well to any improvement in amping, which I haven't always found as evident with many other headphones. It says a lot for your investment as the phones will only get better for you, the more you improve upstream. Not a bad thing at all. :^)

Jun 13, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #12,557 of 18,459
They're a lot like the HD650 in that regard, for sure.  I still can't get over how similar the HD650 and the LCD2 are. The LCD2 truly is "everything the HD650 was, only better in every way."

Jun 13, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #12,558 of 18,459
Is it worth the extra money to get an ALO cable upgrade? I've decided to do the 3 channel Beta22 and maybe later on doing the changes to make it balanced. Does the cable make that big a difference? I can get whatever I want but if there is not that much difference I could spend that money on other things.

Jun 13, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #12,559 of 18,459

Quote:
Is it worth the extra money to get an ALO cable upgrade? I've decided to do the 3 channel Beta22 and maybe later on doing the changes to make it balanced. Does the cable make that big a difference? I can get whatever I want but if there is not that much difference I could spend that money on other things.

i bought las week a norse audio cable for lcd-2(but i´m not tried)
send a mail to trevor, the prices are incredibles.
aldo

Jun 13, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #12,560 of 18,459

Quote:

The Q Audios are much more reasonable price-wise, and people with much more experience than myself who have compared the Q and the ALO say that SQ is virtually equal. I for one love the Q. And yes, the cable upgrade does make an appreciable difference to me.

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #12,561 of 18,459

Quote:

You are going to really like the 3 ch B22. It's a lot of work but definitely sounds awesome and it's very rewarding when it's complete. I would skip the cable and spend your money elsewhere, like building the alpha20 preamp amb just released. It's my current project
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #12,563 of 18,459

Quote:

For me a cable made no difference and I suggest a 2 channel build over 3.

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #12,565 of 18,459
Currently waiting for Audeze to replace my LCD-2s (one of the time-bomb batch.) Had to listen to the old AKG 501s last night, and it was like looking at a Polaroid after getting used to seeing the Louvre in person, or drinking diet root beer rather than Dom Perignon, or...

Now I am wrestling with the temptation of that new Redwine Audio unit. Really need to quit reading Head-Fi while I still have a bank balance.

Jun 13, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #12,566 of 18,459
I found that both the hd650 and lcd-2 benefitted from having upgrade cables. The HD650 needed it. The LCD-2 stock cable is pretty good, but the ALO makes it feel more open, better transparency and extension. I'm no expert and I can't say how much of an improvement, but I definitely noticed a difference. It all depends on how war you want to go to maximize the lcd-2's potential. Considering the rig you're putting together, I wouldn't skimp. Go all the way! 
atsmile.gif

Quote:

Jun 13, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #12,567 of 18,459
yes, 4 channel....
ksc75smile.gif
!!!
aldo

Quote:
I second this. There should be no audible difference between the 2 and 3 channel build. The 4 channel balanced build is another beast altogether.

Jun 13, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #12,568 of 18,459

Quote:
yes, 4 channel....
ksc75smile.gif
!!!
aldo

I wouldn't bother it works out way more expensive.
The 2 channel beta22 is excellent and you are missing out on nothing.
When I had mine I had it wired so I could have both 2 channel and balanced output and I used the 2 channel most of the time because it was quieter, meaning I the volume control was more useful.
I found absolutely no differences in sound quality with mine although balanced means more power, but unless you are driving fairly inefficient speakers this is not a problem.

Jun 13, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #12,569 of 18,459
yes, of course.
i wrote 4 channel because i have one and i loved my amplifier with the lcd-2
but i think that if a person wants to build a beta-22, one or two boards don´t matter a great difference in price and the amplifier is good for all headphones(including k-1000 or he-6)
aldo
Quote:
I wouldn't bother it works out way more expensive.
The 2 channel beta22 is excellent and you are missing out on nothing.
When I had mine I had it wired so I could have both 2 channel and balanced output and I used the 2 channel most of the time because it was quieter, meaning I the volume control was more useful.
I found absolutely no differences in sound quality with mine although balanced means more power, but unless you are driving fairly inefficient speakers this is not a problem.

Jun 13, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #12,570 of 18,459
+1 on Norse Audio's cables.

I bought primarily to have something lighter than the stock cable, and have been very happy with it.  Trevor's customer service is outstanding, as was every other part of the transaction... build quality, turnaround, packaging/shipping and of course, price.

-Mike

Quote:
i bought las week a norse audio cable for lcd-2(but i´m not tried)
send a mail to trevor, the prices are incredibles.
aldo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back