Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jun 8, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #12,496 of 18,459
Has anyone in the UK ordered a pair of lcd-2's off their website, if so did you have to pay tax or customs?

It's slightly cheaper to buy them in the UK. Payment is via Paypal so the first hit is the poor Paypal exchange rate. Audeze ship to the UK via UPS expedited @ 115 USD, so ParcelFarce handle the UK end and you will get hit for charges. Duty @ 2%, then 20% vat on all of that. On a day with a good dollar exchange that usually equals the UK retail BUT ParcelFarce will also charge you £13.50 "handling" for paying the taxman for you :mad:

After I worked all that out and considered shipping times, customs clearance delays etc. I ordered mine from Decent Audio and got them the next day for £799 Inc delivery.

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #12,497 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Has anyone in the UK ordered a pair of lcd-2's off their website, if so did you have to pay tax or customs?

It's slightly cheaper to buy them in the UK. Payment is via Paypal so the first hit is the poor Paypal exchange rate. Audeze ship to the UK via UPS expedited @ 115 USD, so ParcelFarce handle the UK end and you will get hit for charges. Duty @ 2%, then 20% vat on all of that. On a day with a good dollar exchange that usually equals the UK retail BUT ParcelFarce will also charge you £13.50 "handling" for paying the taxman for you
mad.gif

After I worked all that out and considered shipping times, customs clearance delays etc. I ordered mine from Decent Audio and got them the next day for £799 Inc delivery.

Agreed, I don't like the wait and the uncertainty, the undetermined wait in custom, the custom charges and the handling by parcelfarce (cost and length of time at depot, I once tracked a parcel to the Middlesbrough depot and then waited two weeks before the "you will have to pay customs charges" letter from them arrived) I went to Hifi Sound at Stockton on Tees, had an audition with a burnt in pair using my portable equipment, MBP and some high end equipment from the shop and walked away with a new pair at £799 that same day, Simon there couldn't have been more helpful. (He was also at the headfi meet earlier in the year) The other advantage is that for any warranty issues I return them to Hifi sound.

Jun 8, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #12,499 of 18,459
Thanks for that post, I was thinking of getting my pair via the VS because it's a lot cheaper then the nearest dealer here (germany, 1000 euro). Through the UK It'll be something like 900 euro's (no import tax on items from england) so that saves me 100 euro's or a lot of problems  :)

Jun 8, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #12,500 of 18,459
I was just listening to some reggae and house music last night with my LCD2s. They really do rock, or rather funk. I think I could etch out more bass detail and texture with a better amp but already they reach subterranean levels with ease. More surprising than their bass depth is the fact that it doesn't seem to colour the mids at all. So they stay sharp and fast and textured. The highs, while quite dim and closed on well-recorded tracks, are really very good on main stream, compressed and EQ'd tracks. I love my LCD2 for pop music etc. Then the highs are enjoyable and balanced, compared to the same poor recordings on my stax rig which just blows up with high freq noise. Strange how the hi-fi world shakes down. :)

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #12,501 of 18,459
Hello to all
I was just trying to get to the link Alex sent me to purchase the LCD 2 but it goes to a completely different site (Audeze but not with headphones) I live in Poland and am also afraid of various charges that might apply. I didn't have to pay anything when I purchased the JH 16pro. But that is the risk. is England the closest and the cheapest way to get them on this continent?

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #12,502 of 18,459
I was just listening to some reggae and house music last night with my LCD2s. They really do rock, or rather funk. I think I could etch out more bass detail and texture with a better amp but already they reach subterranean levels with ease. More surprising than their bass depth is the fact that it doesn't seem to colour the mids at all. So they stay sharp and fast and textured. The highs, while quite dim and closed on well-recorded tracks, are really very good on main stream, compressed and EQ'd tracks. I love my LCD2 for pop music etc. Then the highs are enjoyable and balanced, compared to the same poor recordings on my stax rig which just blows up with high freq noise. Strange how the hi-fi world shakes down. :)

That would be due to their ruler flat frequency response from 20Hz up to 1kHz. :D

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #12,503 of 18,459
Is there an IEM that is the equivalent of the LCD-2?  I'm looking forward to getting the LCD's later this year and am also in the market for some IEM's for my daily commute.  I would like something that will sound great while I'm out and about.

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #12,504 of 18,459

Quote:
Is there an IEM that is the equivalent of the LCD-2?  I'm looking forward to getting the LCD's later this year and am also in the market for some IEM's for my daily commute.  I would like something that will sound great while I'm out and about.

Just bring a backup generator and a Lyr, and you can use the LCD-2 for your portable setup!

Jun 8, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #12,505 of 18,459

If you have a portable amp with enough power then the Etymotic ER4S might be worth a look. I love mine and they give me a similar experience in feel and emotion. I must caution though. They really need a good quality amp with enough power as that makes a huge difference as I have found out. Before they seem quite flat and not that warm or bassy, with though it is a whole different story as i have found with my stepdance with 15v external battery..Sheer bliss only beaten by my LCD's!

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #12,506 of 18,459

Quote:

The closest I've heard are the Monster Miles Davis Tributes.

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #12,507 of 18,459

The closest I've heard are the Monster Miles Davis Tributes.

I've always liked the look of those.. And we all know where that statement can lead a headphile to go eh!:D

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #12,508 of 18,459
Jun 9, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #12,509 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

If you have a portable amp with enough power then the Etymotic ER4S might be worth a look. I love mine and they give me a similar experience in feel and emotion. I must caution though. They really need a good quality amp with enough power as that makes a huge difference as I have found out. Before they seem quite flat and not that warm or bassy, with though it is a whole different story as i have found with my stepdance with 15v external battery..Sheer bliss only beaten by my LCD's!

The Etymotic ER4 is really amazing and call me crazy but I definitely find it to have a better treble presentation than the LCD2 despite its roll-off in the top-end. It has a very transparent timbre and Stax-like speed and separation that appeal to your inner detail-freaks. I probably won't ever upgrade my IEM ever again as I have yet to find something that sounds like the ER4 and not even the JH13 is as clean sounding as it does. 

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #12,510 of 18,459

Quote:
Or the Turbine Pro Copper.

I didn't think they were as luscious in the midrange, or as warm overall as the MDs; I think the highs on the MDs are a bit smoother as well. They both have good bass though. The Coppers are more dynamic, like what I imagine an HE-5LE to sound like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back