Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
May 17, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #11,686 of 18,459

Quote:
Elnero and MrSpeakers,

Thanks for your recommendations of the Centrance DacMini, but I'm afraid it might be a bit weak as a headphone amp for the LCD-2 , even if spectacular as a DAC, and a perhaps a great all-in-one for phones that can shine with less power.  Definitely a lot of bang for the buck.

Mike

Several folks use the LCD-2 on the DACmini, so I'm not sure I'd say it's weak as a headphone amp in the combo.  I have one sitting at my front door right now, so I should have a better idea how I feel about them personally over the next few days.

May 17, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #11,687 of 18,459

Ooops!   
rolleyes.gif

Enjoy your new DACmini!  

Remember that I readily admit I'm clueless in terms of actual listening experience.  Anything I say about gear I don't own is nothing more than my best effort at compiling the stuff I've read - which is hardly comprehensive for the DACmini.   

I'm looking forward to your DACmini + LCD-2 feedback.  It might be the ultimate bang-for-the-buck amp+dac all-in-one LCD-2 companion.  
smile.gif

Thanks!

Mike
(clumsy window shopper)

May 17, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #11,688 of 18,459
Sorry to interrupt the flow, but I'd like to ask a couple of practical questions. I've now had the LCD-2 for 3 weeks and after extensive listening on familiar material I no longer have any doubts or qualms about it's sound quality; this is a keeper. However, there's more to a phone than sound quality, and I still have comfort issues and concerns about long term durability. Thus my questions:

Does the clamping ever really relax (as the 650 does after a few weeks)? If so, how long?

Has anyone tried bending the headband to relax the grip. If so, where is the best place to do it and what are the chances of causing damage? 

Has anyone dropped an LCD-2 on the floor, either hard or carpetted? If so, from what height and what was the result? Further to that, has anyone broken their LCD-2 through any kind of accident?

Can the frame be replaced? Has anyone enquired about this? I know the frame can be easily released from the cups, so I'd assume a replacement part is available.

Have there been any more reports of splitting wood? Any more dead channels?

Has anyone heard any more news about new headband padding, or a new cover? 

All of this is particularly pertinent as I'm in Oz and return postage to the US would be pretty steep.  Also, I just would like to enjoy my headphones with a minimum of drama. As a classical listener, I feel the drama should be in the music, not the headphones.

May 17, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #11,691 of 18,459
Sorry to interrupt the flow, but I'd like to ask a couple of practical questions. I've now had the LCD-2 for 3 weeks and after extensive listening on familiar material I no longer have any doubts or qualms about it's sound quality; this is a keeper. However, there's more to a phone than sound quality, and I still have comfort issues and concerns about long term durability. Thus my questions:

Does the clamping ever really relax (as the 650 does after a few weeks)? If so, how long?

Has anyone tried bending the headband to relax the grip. If so, where is the best place to do it and what are the chances of causing damage? 

Has anyone dropped an LCD-2 on the floor, either hard or carpetted? If so, from what height and what was the result? Further to that, has anyone broken their LCD-2 through any kind of accident?

Can the frame be replaced? Has anyone enquired about this? I know the frame can be easily released from the cups, so I'd assume a replacement part is available.

Has anyone heard any more news about new headband padding, or a new cover? 

All of this is particularly pertinent as I'm in Oz and return postage to the US would be pretty steep.  Also, I just would like to enjoy my headphones with a minimum of drama. As a classical listener, I feel the drama should be in the music, not the headphones.

On relaxation of the grip, I think you can loosen the swivel screwat the bottom of the iron pole a bit. make sure it is not too loose though otherwise you won't get a tight seal and the sound quality may diminish.

May 17, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #11,693 of 18,459
In my experience, this is definitely not the case.  The DACMini has replaced my Bel Canto DAC3/Lehmann Black Cube Linear as the DAC/amp of choice for my LCD-2.  I see absolutely no problems with the DACMini being able to drive the LCD-2 -- plenty of power, great resolution and very dynamic.  My STAX O2 systems have been getting very little use after receiving the DACMini.  In my humble opinion, it's that good.

Quote:

Thanks for your recommendations of the Centrance DacMini, but I'm afraid it might be a bit weak as a headphone amp for the LCD-2 .......

May 17, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #11,694 of 18,459

Quote:
Has anyone dropped an LCD-2 on the floor, either hard or carpetted? If so, from what height and what was the result?

I have dropped these headphones twice. The first time from a height of about 60-70cm, there was no physical or sound damage as far as I could tell. The second time was from about 50-60cm, again no damage. The surface is a rug on a wooden flooring.

May 17, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #11,695 of 18,459
I've been enjoying the LCD-2 for a couple of days now, and I absolutely love it. When I first started out searching for headphones, I wanted something that would match my KRK monitors. The LCD-2 mated to the HDP has exceeded them. When comparing the HE-5LE to the LCD-2, the HE-5LE still stands it's ground as a very good headphone. The LCD-2, however, is much more three dimensional to my ears. That couple with it's wonderful bass, refinement, and imaging have moved the LCD-2 into my number one spot.

On the amp side of things, I prefer the LCD-2 directly amped by the HDP, The HE-5LE I felt was better coupled to the Asgard.

May 17, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #11,697 of 18,459

Quote:

I have dropped these headphones twice. The first time from a height of about 60-70cm, there was no physical or sound damage as far as I could tell. The second time was from about 50-60cm, again no damage. The surface is a rug on a wooden flooring.

Well, 60cm is only two feet. Would you mind trying from around 6 feet, just so I'll know. Thanks.

wink.gif

May 17, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #11,698 of 18,459

Quote:
Kwkarth,

At  $599, new, the MusicHall DAC 25.2, in combination with a Lyr, would be close enough to my $1000.00 budget, I suppose (before I start tube rolling)...

smile.gif

Thanks for the recommendation.  I've read a lot of great things in the past about the Burr-Brown developed TI PCM 1796, and although I'd heard of MusicHall, I didn't realize they had a hybrid (ss/tube) pre-amp / DAC combo.  This being a bit less expensive than a new DACmini, it's starting to look good to me as a companion for the Lyr.

Which begs this question I should have asked a long time ago:  Does anyone know of a retailer in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area that carries head-fi gear?  I'm getting cold feet at the thought of buying more stuff without hearing it first, and there don't seem to be any CanJams here.  

Dallas doesn't have much of a coffee-drinking culture, either - almost nothing but Starbucks here, and only two places I know of that roast their own beans.  Am I the only guy in the DFW area with nice headphones and a good cup of coffee?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike 

I am suffering from the same problem as well. The stores that do carry hi-fi gear are selling extremely expensive gear and they are not really into headphone amplifiers either. But you are not the only one in the DFW area with nice headphones and a good cup of coffee :) I no longer have the LCD-2 which makes me an inferior citizen I know but I am quite fond of Hifiman sound signature and planning to supplement my HE-5 with HE-500 in the near future. 

As for the coffee shops, there are some quite good ones. Try Pearl Cup on Henderson ave, It's a Grind in Deep Ellum, and Crooked Tree at McKinney ave. Also the ones that I haven't been to but get good reviews are Murray Street Coffee Shop and Mokah Cafe Bar. 

May 17, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #11,699 of 18,459
I've never really waited for the clamping to relax, I've bent, or better to say straightened the headband a few times. Nowhere in particular, but not too close to the end of the band, and not too much, but it did the trick and my LCD2 are now very comfy. Maybe there is another way to do it, but I've had no need to try.

Once I've accidentally elbowed my LCD2s from the table onto the floor (hardwood). No damage, my heart stopped for a bit, maybe a few new grey hairs, but the phones are ok.

No dead channels or split wood with mine, though my LCD2 was from the last "slow" batch from Audeze. Audeze's turn around time significantly sped up after I have received mine. Not sure what they did there, perhaps it might be related to the recent troubles people have?

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back