Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
May 5, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #11,386 of 18,459

Quote:
So I'm assuming that no one has tried asking Audez'e whether they will terminate their cable with a 1/8" TRS plug?

On their website blog, a Feb. 6 post that introduced their new cable mentioned that mini input connectors would be made available "in the upcoming months".

If no one's got an answer to this, maybe I'll give them a call in a week or so.  So far, I haven't been able to get them to respond to any e-mails I've sent for the past month.

Thanks, everyone, for all of your help so far!

Virtually all of the 3rd party cable makers will terminate with whatever plug you like.

May 5, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #11,388 of 18,459

Quote:
Damn my new LCD's need repair!   Don't know if this has happened to anyone else but the wood surrounding the mini connector down at the bottom has cracked on both sides.

x2, mine just over the weekend the right channel no sound after 5 weeks of ownership. replacement will be next Monday/Tuesday if all goes well..... sad but it happens.

May 5, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #11,389 of 18,459
HA...same thing happened to me last week - right speaker went dead. mine are on their way back to audeze as well. is that a recurring issue, construction problem maybe!?
i was blaming myself initally, as i thought i had played them too loud - but then again, not much louder than some times before...

May 5, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #11,390 of 18,459

Quote:
x2, mine just over the weekend the right channel no sound after 5 weeks of ownership. replacement will be next Monday/Tuesday if all goes well..... sad but it happens.

Quote:
HA...same thing happened to me last week - right speaker went dead. mine are on their way back to audeze as well. is that a recurring issue, construction problem maybe!?
i was blaming myself initally, as i thought i had played them too loud - but then again, not much louder than some times before...

Wow this is giving me real pause for concern about these cans.  Had I not already taken possession of a W4S DAC-2 earlier this week I might simply request a refund from Audeze and scrap the entire idea of a headphone rig.  It hadn't occurred to me after my post that folks had problems with the transducers going dead.  Now I'm wondering who else has had problems and what the frequency is.  

Is this product failure common with high end headphones in general?  I don't know because I'm totally new to headphones and these are my very first cans.  The fact that 2 guys have already posted problems with their LCD's just hours after my post gives me pause for concern about the general quality and endurance of this product.  Anyone else have LCD breakdowns?

i'm going to spend the next hour or so contemplating a refund and then going with HiFiMAN HE-6 Headphones instead.  Maybe someone can talk me out of that.

May 5, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #11,391 of 18,459

Wow this is giving me real pause for concern about these cans.  Had I not already taken possession of a W4S DAC-2 earlier this week I might simply request a refund from Audeze and scrap the entire idea of a headphone rig.  It hadn't occurred to me after my post that folks had problems with the transducers going dead.  Now I'm wondering who else has had problems and what the frequency is.  

Is this product failure common with high end headphones in general?  I don't know because I'm totally new to headphones and these are my very first cans.  The fact that 2 guys have already posted problems with their LCD's just hours after my post gives me pause for concern about the general quality and endurance of this product.  Anyone else have LCD breakdowns?

i'm going to spend the next hour or so contemplating a refund and then going with HiFiMAN HE-6 Headphones instead.  Maybe someone can talk me out of that.

I think the fail rate is pretty small from reading all the threads.. On the other hand the fail rate seems somewhat higher with HiFiman products across the board reading the threads! I have read of far more folks returning Hifiman products than Audeze!

May 5, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #11,392 of 18,459

I think the fail rate is pretty small from reading all the threads.. On the other hand the fail rate seems somewhat higher with HiFiman products across the board reading the threads! I have read of far more folks returning Hifiman products than Audeze!

Even higher?  Wow.  This is very discouraging.

May 5, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #11,393 of 18,459
My friend in italy had the same problem with the audeze:xf_eek:ne channel died!!!!
Audeze is a little company compared to senhheiser, grado, etc.
Also the headphones of big companies have problem(like edition 10, grado ps-1000 for example).
i hope in the future one lcd-3 with the same sound signature of the lcd-2 but more light in the head.
aldo

May 5, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #11,394 of 18,459

Quote:

Even higher?  Wow.  This is very discouraging.

You seemed to be really enjoying the headphones, I'd give them another chance. The problems with Hifiman were mainly with wood cracking on the original HE-5, which is why they no longer use wood. I think there have been very few transducer failures in either camp. Hopefully the wood issue with Audeze will be sort out quickly, if it is an issue. Statistically, some failure is going to happen.

May 5, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #11,395 of 18,459

Quote:
You seemed to be really enjoying the headphones, I'd give them another chance. The problems with Hifiman were mainly with wood cracking on the original HE-5, which is why they no longer use wood. I think there have been very few transducer failures in either camp. Hopefully the wood issue with Audeze will be sort out quickly, if it is an issue. Statistically, some failure is going to happen.

Quote:
My friend in italy had the same problem with the audeze:xf_eek:ne channel died!!!!
Audeze is a little company compared to senhheiser, grado, etc.
Also the headphones of big companies have problem(like edition 10, grado ps-1000 for example).
i hope in the future one lcd-3 with the same sound signature of the lcd-2 but more light in the head.
aldo

Another failure!  Beside the speaker failures I wonder how many folks have had problems with the wood cracking?

Yes I do enjoy these cans, enough to commit another 2 to 3 K in associated equipment for them.  Hopefully the associated equipment will hold up.   I'm losing my faith in todays high end world.  In December I made a purchase from NuForce for one of it's low end products.  The unit stopped working after a week.  NuForce sent a replacement but it was not new.  The replacement was used and did not work at all.  Finally I just asked for a refund.  That episode was the reason I decided not to spend any of the 2-3K on future equipment for anything from NuForce. Along with what I felt was aggressive posting defending the product when other folks had a similar breakdown by NuForce in Head-Fi threads.  That was more alarming than the episode of two units not working.  Of course this is all alarming considering my las round of high end gear went 16-18 years without a single breakdown in any of the gear.

May 5, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #11,396 of 18,459
Don't worry, Sankar and Audez'e are good people. They sent mine to a wrong address last Christmas (after 2 to 3 months of waiting back then) but immediately dispatched a new one upon me informing them of the mistake. I appreciate their trust and willingness to get things right back then, especially considering that I live in the other side of the globe. 

May 5, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #11,397 of 18,459
Wow, I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have the wood or transducer problems mentioned above... I'm in Warrior Ant's position of beginning to accumulate components while really enjoying the sound of the LCD-2. 

I'm just wondering whether the wood termination points are an inherent problem with the stresses from either repeatedly attaching/detaching the cord or simple movement with the cord attached. While I really don't move around much while listening, I do attach/detach the cord each listening session since I put the headphones away rather than leaving them on a stand or sitting around.

On the plus side, Audez'e seems to have first-rate customer service, but people having to actually utilize that service because of breakdowns is troubling.

May 5, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #11,398 of 18,459

Quote:
Don't worry, Sankar and Audez'e are good people. They sent mine to a wrong address last Christmas (after 2 to 3 months of waiting back then) but immediately dispatched a new one upon me informing them of the mistake. I appreciate their trust and willingness to get things right back then, especially considering that I live in the other side of the globe. 

Good to know because I really love these headphones.  I never thought I could loose myself in music while wearing cans but these cans are so sweet, everything is just so effortless that I forget I have them on, I forget that the music is coming from something that is actually on my head.  There doesn't seem to be anything artificial bout the reproduction of the music.

May 5, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #11,399 of 18,459
If they start doing chain belt manufacturing like some of the bigger companies (Rolex, Bose) You might see more of it. As long as the number's do not start to multiply as far as failure's go and their customer service stay's top notch I would not worry to much! Keep Us posted Guy's.

May 5, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #11,400 of 18,459

Quote:

To damage the drivers you would have to play them incredibly loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back