Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Apr 26, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #11,176 of 18,459
You tossed them all out? Holy Schiit Warrior Ant!

Anyways I just wanted to comment on Audeze on getting this product "just right" while on backlog. They showed that they were really listening to feedback and I think that the LCD-2 community here should be commended for helping them perfect these headphones. Not only that but they managed to satisfy (virtually) every last one of us during that process. It seems like now that the kinks have been ironed out they are ramping up production and farming them out to high-end retailers, what a brilliant execution of an excellent plan. Congratulations on doing it the right way Audeze, it is no easy task and you have officially arrived!
beerchug.gif

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #11,179 of 18,459

Quote:
You tossed them all out? Holy Schiit Warrior Ant!

Yeah sometimes I'm an idiot!    I had lot of power tubes for Conrad johnson, Audio Research, Nestorovic, and NYAL mono blocks.   Once I went to Krell amps they just sat in a box in the basement closet for about 10 years.  Most of them maybe 100 hours of use.    When I went to move I found them all and thought Ill never use these again, no use hauling them across the country.  I didn't know anyone who could use them as I tossed them all out. Tubes made me insane, what can I say.  For some guys it's their passion but for me they were just audiophile nervosa.   

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #11,180 of 18,459

Quote:
I'm going with the Wyred4sound DAC-2. It should be here in about a week depending on when they ship it.       I'm pretty much set on the Violectric V200. I just have a few things to take care of first then I'll order it.    Once the desert heat has passed this summer I'll most likely also get a Lyr also.    I really wanted to go with something like the Decware Mini Torii but I simply do not have to fortitude to deal with so many tubes and the extra expense and hunt.  The 2 tubes in the Lyr will be more than I'm willing to handle as it is.  Years ago I had many a tube mono block and to be truthful they sounded beautiful but in the end I didn't really like dealing with them.

You have to love the lifetime warranty that Decware offers.  I admire that.

When I moved from CT to AZ a few years back I had a truck load of power tubes.  I should have kept them and sold them later on but I tossed them all out. My wife told me to sell them but I think at the time I had simply had enough of them.

Thx, I'll be interested in how you like both of those components when you get them; I've heard especially good things about the V200. I hear you on the tubes, but they are soooo sexy. 

When I moved from MI to the ATL I either pitched or gave away a small fortune worth of accumulated goodies.

Apr 27, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #11,181 of 18,459

Quote:

Thx, I'll be interested in how you like both of those components when you get them; I've heard especially good things about the V200. I hear you on the tubes, but they are soooo sexy. 

When I moved from MI to the ATL I either pitched or gave away a small fortune worth of accumulated goodies.

I'm probably not a good source to be interested in when the rest of my gear arrives. Soon for the DAC-2 I hope.  After all I've never had a headphone rig before. This will be my first one, and I will most likely only use it late at night when the family is sleeping or when I want to check one of my compositions.  The LCD's, the DAC-2 have been purchased without ever hearing them and the same will go for the amps.  But I doubt I will not like them.  I'm pretty sure from the gazillion of hours of reading Head-Fi that the stuff can't be that bad after all.  The LCD's have certainly been surprising.  So the rest of the gear I think will wow me and I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with it.  After the initial listening I'm sure to be off in happy happy land experiencing the music and soon forget the focus on the gear.  I mean it's all pretty good gear so I'm confident I'm going to love it.  

I tell my old audiophile buddies I'm not an audiophile, I'm a musicphile that needs audiophile equipment to listen to music with.   Sometimes I would have to laugh at my audiophile friends.  I'd bring a selection of music over to someones house and right from the start the conversation would entail a description of the saxophone in the sound field over here and the stand up bass over there and the trumpet over there.  The performance of the gear always dominated the conversation no matter the music.  It always seemed it was never about the music.  That's why I always had the rule never allow an audiophile into the house, only music lovers. 

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #11,183 of 18,459

Quote:

Yeah sometimes I'm an idiot!    I had lot of power tubes for Conrad johnson, Audio Research, Nestorovic, and NYAL mono blocks.   Once I went to Krell amps they just sat in a box in the basement closet for about 10 years.  Most of them maybe 100 hours of use.    When I went to move I found them all and thought Ill never use these again, no use hauling them across the country.  I didn't know anyone who could use them as I tossed them all out. Tubes made me insane, what can I say.  For some guys it's their passion but for me they were just audiophile nervosa.   

I would'nt say an idiot, Temporary Insanity is more like it! 
blink.gif
  I don't know if I should feel bad for You or laugh uncontrolably. You would'nt happen to married would You, cause I know My Wife can make Me do crazy thing's and I Love Her to death. Before You get rid of that next amp You know where to turn now, sell it trade it, well You get the picture.

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #11,184 of 18,459

Quote:
I would'nt say an idiot, Temporary Insanity is more like it! 
blink.gif
  I don't know if I should feel bad for You or laugh uncontrolably. You would'nt happen to married would You, cause I know My Wife can make Me do crazy thing's and I Love Her to death. Before You get rid of that next amp You know where to turn now, sell it trade it, well You get the picture.

I didn't toss any amps out! Just the power tubes.  I sold all the tube amps.  Back then there was no internet and everything had to be sold word of mouth, in the back of the New York Times or "AudioMart".  Anyone been around long enough to remember "AudioMart"?    

Apr 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #11,186 of 18,459
Congratulations!  They are real sweet phones.  I love mine.

Quote:
This is me, grinning. Got my LCD-2 today. WOW.

Apr 27, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #11,188 of 18,459

Quote:
I didn't toss any amps out! Just the power tubes.  I sold all the tube amps.  Back then there was no internet and everything had to be sold word of mouth, in the back of the New York Times or "AudioMart".  Anyone been around long enough to remember "AudioMart"?    

Sad to say, but I do, Were getting old like fine wine or skunky beer!  
beerchug.gif
  And by the way ENJOY Your  LCD-2's.

Apr 27, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #11,189 of 18,459

There's something appealing and different about their sound, but I can't get over the subdued highs and the loss of detail. I tend to listen to them too loud in an attempt to get the detail back.

I find that they don't work well for classical or other acoustic music with rich detail.

I'm looking forward to the LCD-3...

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #11,190 of 18,459
I guess I don't agree, I think work well with acoustic music, and I really don't feel like they have subdued highs as at all.  IMO, they are the most natural headphone I have heard.

Quote:

There's something appealing and different about their sound, but I can't get over the subdued highs and the loss of detail. I tend to listen to them too loud in an attempt to get the detail back.

I find that they don't work well for classical or other acoustic music with rich detail.

I'm looking forward to the LCD-3...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back