Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Apr 22, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #11,101 of 18,459
One more thing.  After I thought about it for a second, I would NOT recommend jumpering pins 1 and 3 on the A3m plugs of a balanced cable.  Doing so basically turns it into an unbalanced cable and may damage a balanced amplifier.

Apr 22, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #11,102 of 18,459
kwkarth,

I did not calibrate the iPhone.  I downloaded the UE SPL app and ran it.  I guess it is still set to default.  Maybe that accounts for some of the variance?

How do I calibrate it?

As stated, YMMV.

Thanks

Quote:
Nice work man!  Did you calibrate your iPhone or did you leave it with default calibrations?

Apr 22, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #11,103 of 18,459

Quote:
Greg,
The mini XLRs inside the ear cups are jumpered, already so you don't have to worry about jumpering the mini 4 pin connectors on the cables.  But, otherwise, yes, your interpretation is correct.

so, if i were to make a new cable (unbalanced), i would have to jumper the mini xlrs-

Apr 22, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #11,104 of 18,459

Quote:
kwkarth,

I did not calibrate the iPhone.  I downloaded the UE SPL app and ran it.  I guess it is still set to default.  Maybe that accounts for some of the variance?

How do I calibrate it?

As stated, YMMV.

Thanks

The variance your measurements showed can probably be chalked up to random positional errors.  Too small to be concerned with.  You did a great job!

I'm not sure about the particular app you used.  I have an Android phone and use a 120 band spectrum analyser app that is fully calibratable.  It's called RTA Pro. 

Apr 22, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #11,105 of 18,459

Quote:
so, if i were to make a new cable (unbalanced), i would have to jumper the mini xlrs-

No, forget the jumpering of the mini XLR altogether.  It's already jumpered for you inside the headphones.

And do not jumper the 3 pin XLR.  Pins two and three carry the signal, with 3+ and 2-.

Apr 22, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #11,107 of 18,459

Quote:
Thanks, kwkarth.  I'm learning but have nothing as sophisticated as your equipment, not to mention your experience.

Cheers
BMF

Sounds like you have everything you need to get the job done.  That's all that counts.  Keep up the good work!!

Apr 22, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #11,108 of 18,459

Quote:

I'm not sure about the particular app you used.  I have an Android phone and use a 120 band spectrum analyser app that is fully calibratable.  It's called RTA Pro. 

Not answering for him, but for my iPhone I've been pretty happy with Studio Six AudioTools. It's a handy suite of tools, albeit not exactly cheap for an iPhone app.  An audiophile buddy gave it to me as a birthday gift.  I've found use for it a few times in troubleshooting some room issues with my speaker system, but have not tried it with headphones.  Current prices: SPL meter is .99 cents (analog style meter), AudioTools suite is $19.99 (includes SPL and RTA as well as several other tools, and discounts on upgrades to tools), RTA alone is $10.99, and digital SPL is $8.99 (much easier to read than the analog version).

Apr 22, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #11,110 of 18,459

Quote:
Kwkarth - thanks for not just posting the graphs and assuming everyone understands such things, but for actually including an thoughtful and easy to follow explanation of what is at play.  Though a long-time audiophile, I'm very right-brain focused, and tend to just glaze over at technical specs.  I appreciate that you took the effort to explain the graphics in lay persons terms.  It becomes a very effective illustration of the comparisons.

+1

I found that having heard bass done correctly finally added a new dimension to my listening experiences, and there is no going back.  My opinion is that subsonic frequencies serve as a foundation to correctly prop up the rest of the music.

I have since sold off my speaker subwoofer which was extremely wooly in the subbass, and using the LCD2 as a reference, my next big investment is for a super duper subwoofer that can go as linear and as low as possible with as much control as possible, to mate with my budget Tannoy bookshelf speakers - which to my ears, have a quicker transient response than most mid and entry level headphones.  Even then I don't expect the integration of the bass, and control to be as good as the LCD2s, then there is a problem with room resonances and bass interactions...the last two reason is the reason I have never heard acceptable bass from speakers, never heard a speaker that can integrate bass better than even my humble HD650.  Let alone the integration, linearity, extension and quality control of my LCD2s.

I still think that its the quality bass and seamless midrange integration that gives my LCD2s that perfect vocal harmony.  The biggest complaint I have with the LCD2s, and I'm not really sure one can lay the blame fairly on the LCD2s, is that some recordings are already very bassy and dark, such as R&B.  I tend to prefer bass light headphones for bass heavy music, the opposite behaviour to bass-heads.

I also had the K1000 with me for a couple of months to evaluate, and came to an easy conclusion that software crossfeed can give the K1000 soundstage advantage to any headphone.  Some recordings plainly demand it.

Also, happy Easter break to all.

Apr 22, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #11,111 of 18,459

Quote:
+1

I found that having heard bass done correctly finally added a new dimension to my listening experiences, and there is no going back.  My opinion is that subsonic frequencies serve as a foundation to correctly prop up the rest of the music.

I have since sold off my speaker subwoofer which was extremely wooly in the subbass, and using the LCD2 as a reference, my next big investment is for a super duper subwoofer that can go as linear and as low as possible with as much control as possible, to mate with my budget Tannoy bookshelf speakers - which to my ears, have a quicker transient response than most mid and entry level headphones.  Even then I don't expect the integration of the bass, and control to be as good as the LCD2s, then there is a problem with room resonances and bass interactions...the last two reason is the reason I have never heard acceptable bass from speakers, never heard a speaker that can integrate bass better than even my humble HD650.  Let alone the integration, linearity, extension and quality control of my LCD2s.

I still think that its the quality bass and seamless midrange integration that gives my LCD2s that perfect vocal harmony.  The biggest complaint I have with the LCD2s, and I'm not really sure one can lay the blame fairly on the LCD2s, is that some recordings are already very bassy and dark, such as R&B.  I tend to prefer bass light headphones for bass heavy music, the opposite behaviour to bass-heads.

I also had the K1000 with me for a couple of months to evaluate, and came to an easy conclusion that software crossfeed can give the K1000 soundstage advantage to any headphone.  Some recordings plainly demand it.

Also, happy Easter break to all.

A single sub in a speaker system targeting reproducing lows that are tight and seamlessly meshed, presents a much more difficult challenge because of the room interface.  Getting good 2-way monitors to combine with a single sub in an average room is a really tricky proposition, as you probably already know.  I'd suggest, if that part of the music is important to you, invest in multiple subs, which become far more easy to integrate better than a single sub.  The effect, when done well, is very impressive and seamless.  I've never heard it done nearly as well with a single sub.  2-3 less expensive subs may serve you better than one super duper sub that you try to make work in a room with two monitors. The best example of how well this can work is with the AudioKinesis Planetarium system using multiple subs (he sells the subs as the Swarm system).  I'm not a customer (I'd always recommend his speakers be on anyone's short list) and have no financial affiliation with Duke - just heard his speakers on several occasions and have always been very impressed, particularly with how well they integrate bass.  Bass...natural reproduction of bass, doesn't always call attention to itself (sometimes it does, deliberately so if the music calls for it - mostly electronic music comes to mind there).  One of the benefits of integrating subs well with your main speakers is that the subs take the burden off the main speakers to try to reproduce some of the low-end energy and focus more of their energy on the mids and highs.  This can have all kinds of benefits (soundstage and clarity for example).  Done wrong it can really ruin everything and turn an otherwise fine system into a heap of thumping garbage (read: reduced soundstage, clarity and detail).  I'm no expert in the hows, whys and werefores, but I can tell you I've heard it done well, and have done it myself with the help of others.  With a single sub it's never felt entirely satisfying and seamless, and I've always eventually sold the sub.  The memorable systems are always those using multiple subs (including when I've tried this in my own systems). 

Sorry you haven't heard speakers that can integrate bass well.  This may also largely be a function of the rooms you are hearing them in, as well as perhaps the speakers and system.  I can tell you it can be done (my system does it quite well), and when it is done well by speakers, it is far more powerful than listening to bass isolated by headphones to only your ears (as opposed to adding the sensation of feeling that is added with speakers/live performance)....IMHO of course. 

Apr 23, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #11,112 of 18,459

Quote:
Got it- what terminal gets the + (1 or 4) and what gets the - (2 or 3) (unbalanced)
Thanks.

The diagram is labeled.  I'm not sure what you're asking.

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #11,113 of 18,459
The Edition 10 are, overall, a disappointment, to be sure. The LCD-2 are a far, far superior sounding headphone.

With all due respect, I don't think so. It may be, with the kind of music you listen to, and in your opinion.

Apr 23, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #11,114 of 18,459
The Edition 10 are, overall, a disappointment, to be sure. The LCD-2 are a far, far superior sounding headphone.

With all due respect, I don't think so. It may be, with the kind of music you listen to, and in you opinion.

With respect as well reading numerous reviews you do seem to be one of the few who actually really like the ED10 which is wonderful, i am glad your enjoying it!

We all hear things differently which makes this hobby entertaining. I do have to say though that one of the things that makes a headphone truly great is it's ability to play all types of music, I would not be happy droping several thousand dollars and not be able to enjoy all my music!!

Also I have found Skylab to be one of the most balanced reviewers of equipment anywhere in HiFi and that includes my favorites from the professional side of reviewing in magazines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back