Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Apr 23, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #11,131 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

But let me add that for that "very small segment" of music, including classical music which was really the only kind of music in the Western world two centuries ago, the ED10 does sound far superior to the LCD2, IMO.

I think I'm missing something (no small wonder). What's the point about classical music being "the only kind of music in the Western world two centuries ago?!?!"  There wasn't much of a headphone selection back then I'd imagine. I bet there wasn't even a Head-Fi back then either.  Seriously, I don't get the point you're trying to make there.  We are not living in the 19th century and the world is vastly different, as is music  (and everything else for that matter) in scope and variety and all matter of cross-pollination and inbreeding, and nasty lab experiments gone horribly wrong even that yielded the likes of Yanni.  Are we speculating on bringing back some headphones in a souped up DeLorean to impress some famous composers? Where are you going with that?

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #11,132 of 18,459

I think I'm missing something (no small wonder). What's the point about classical music being "the only kind of music in the Western world two centuries ago?!?!"  There wasn't much of a headphone selection back then I'd imagine. I bet there wasn't even a Head-Fi back then either.  Seriously, I don't get the point you're trying to make there.  We are not living in the 19th century and the world is vastly different, as is music  (and everything else for that matter) in scope and variety and all matter of cross-pollination and inbreeding, and nasty lab experiments gone horribly wrong even that yielded the likes of Yanni.  Are we speculating on bringing back some headphones in a souped up DeLorean to impress some famous composers? Where are you going with that?

Just that I don't agree that ED 10 sounds good with a small segment. Lcd2 may cover all kinds of music but for certain music the ed10 sounds far superior IMO.

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #11,134 of 18,459

Quote:
I wouldn't bother w/ ALO, You need to buy their overpriced cable with the LCD-2's. /poostorm

As for teeth, I haven't felt any pain in my mouth.  Actually the LCD-2's feel so much more loose than they did from day 1.  Its possible that the pads softened making them feel as if they were clamping harder.

So, you've expressed your opinion by dumping on a reputable vendor.  There are many who do not share the same opinion.

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #11,135 of 18,459
So, you've expressed your opinion by dumping on a reputable vendor.  There are many who do not share the same opinion.

+1! I bet he has never even heard Kens Cables!

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #11,136 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

Just that I don't agree that ED 10 sounds good with a small segment. Lcd2 may cover all kinds of music but for certain music the ed10 sounds far superior IMO.

Yeah, I got that part of the equation. You have a difference of opinion.  I get it.  I just didn't get why you added the part about western music two centuries ago. What does that have to do with your preferences or anyone else's? It seemed like you were suggesting the state of music two centuries ago should have some bearing on all of this (otherwise, why did you bring it up).

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #11,137 of 18,459

Yeah, I got that part of the equation. You have a difference of opinion.  I get it.  I just didn't get why you added the part about western music two centuries ago. What does that have to do with your preferences or anyone else's? It seemed like you were suggesting the state of music two centuries ago should have some bearing on all of this (otherwise, why did you bring it up).

Just wish to emphasize the point that classical music is not a "very small segment of music", coz Sklab suggested th ed10 only sounds good with a "very small segment of music". No offense to any genre of music in the past century intended.

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #11,138 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

Just wish to emphasize the point that classical music is not a "very small segment of music" as Skylab suggested.

What's your point?

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #11,140 of 18,459

Just wish to emphasize the point that classical music is not a "very small segment of music", coz Sklab suggested th ed10 only sounds good with a "very small segment of music". No offense to any genre of music in the past century intended.

I really don't understand this. I love classical music. If you were to look on my iPod/CLAS at this moment you would see around 60% is classical of which I have the complete ring, Tristan, flying Dutchman and Parsifal. I have not heard them reproduced better than with the LCD's. I have not heard the ed10 but the LCD's are magnificent with classical. Even the other end of the scale, I have never heard violin reproduced so accurately and with so much emotion as I have with the LCD's Lara St.John is magnificent through these headphones!

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #11,141 of 18,459

Quote:
Anyone bought the LCD-2 from ALO? Any difference from buying from Audeze? I mean, apart from the shorter waiting time, seems that Audeze keeps improving the LCD-2 from time to time, I wonder if ALO got their latest version or not.

My opinion:

If you can buy from the manufacturer directly, do it.

I ordered my LCD2's directly from Audeze.

I also order all my Apple products directly from Apple.

You will be getting the latest, and if there is a problem you are not dealing with a third party.

that is my 2 cents.

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #11,142 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

You emphasized the point that classical music was not a very small segment of music two centuries ago.  I don't get how that has to do with headphones produced today.  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your expressing your opinion about the headphones.  I just don't get any point at all with this other tangent of the state of music in Western culture in the 19th century. 

I don't know the ED10 at all so was curious about your divergent opinions.  Classical music is vast in scope and scale and it occurs to me that, as a genre, a headphone that actually serves all of classical music very well is a headphone that is demonstrating some significant level of versatility.  Is that what you are trying to get at?  I just don't know where the 19th century fits into all of that. 

Small segment or not, if you find a headphone that does just what you want with the music you love - well stick with it, I say.  I get where you're coming from, and that's a great thing to have found.  I also get where Skylab is coming from with his comments, and that is with direct experience with the LCD-2.  I can't offer any of my own opinion on half of that equation, but I have heard other phones that are better with specific types of music, but I don't think I've heard another phone (and NO, I have not heard the ED10) that is so tremendously versatile as the LCD-2 in making such a wide variety of music sound so right.  I would say that classical was not one of its strong suits though.  I preferred HD800's for most of the classical I listen to.  That's about 1/4 of my library so it obviously has some pull for me, but I just don't think it's that big a sacrifice compared to all it brings to all the rest of the library.  I'll make a point of trying to take a listen to some ED-10's if the opportunity arises.  Interesting how polarizing some cans can be.  

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #11,144 of 18,459

Quote:
My opinion:
If you can buy from the manufacturer directly, do it.
I ordered my LCD2's directly from Audeze.
I also order all my Apple products directly from Apple.
You will be getting the latest, and if there is a problem you are not dealing with a third party.
that is my 2 cents.

Your 2¢ is generally good advice, but in this case, ALO works very closely with Audeze, and you wont be left out in the cold, you'll have two great companies standing behind you.

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #11,145 of 18,459
Wow, I finally got my LCD-2's here in Korea and I couldn't be happier. Listening to some Pink Floyd, DSOTM and it is mind blowing. Only about 10 hours of wearing them in and I am still floored by the sound. I only have a Fiio 7 pushing them and they sound this good. Can't wait until my Dacmini comes in this week to really see what they are capable of.

As far as all these trifling comments about the ed. 10's and how they may be superior or not is kind of tainting this thread. If you like the ed. 10's then more power to you but coming to this thread telling people how they are missing out seems to undermine the thread and why people read this thread. If your feeling is that the ed. 10's are better, then make a thread for that or make a review and stick with that because I hate having to read about it in this thread. I found this thread to be immensely informative and valuable in making my purchase but now it seems to have been derailed.

As for Kwkarth and Skylab, thank you for your opinions and insights because they have guided me to my purchase and subsequent audio bliss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back