Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Mar 29, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #10,561 of 18,459
Great! I guess I have some words to learn today
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #10,562 of 18,459

Quote:
Interesting, visualguy. I found the LCD2 to be closest presentation-wise to the 007MK1/KGSS sans the treble details which would explain why I love them so much. I do have to say that if you listen to primarily classical then the LCD2 is not a very good choice though.

I do listen mostly to classical, but I also listen to other types of music. Presumably, the LCD-2 isn't a very good choice for classical because it doesn't reproduce acoustic instrument music well, but that means that it isn't good for non-classical acoustic music either. That would be a huge deficiency... Are you saying that the LCD-2 is mostly just suited for electronic music and vocals? What's special about the way it plays electronic music and vocals to make it worthwhile to own these headphones which don't play other music particularly well?

By the way, I agree that classical music doesn't sound great on the LCD-2 based on my experience so far.

I'm trying to figure out where they are strong and when I should use them.

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #10,564 of 18,459

Quote:
I do listen mostly to classical, but I also listen to other types of music. Presumably, the LCD-2 isn't a very good choice for classical because it doesn't reproduce acoustic instrument music well, but that means that it isn't good for non-classical acoustic music either. That would be a huge deficiency... Are you saying that the LCD-2 is mostly just suited for electronic music and vocals? What's special about the way it plays electronic music and vocals to make it worthwhile to own these headphones which don't play other music particularly well?

By the way, I agree that classical music doesn't sound great on the LCD-2 based on my experience so far.

Depends upon whom you ask.  What matters most, is what you think.

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #10,565 of 18,459
Quote:
I couldn't stand the way mine felt at first. They, for me, were not comfortable at all. Now I don't even notice them and they feel good but that took a few days and after a few weeks and my getting stronger, there is not issue. Good for neck muscles. :^)

Quote:

VG, you probably should use them when you feel like working out your neck muscles! 
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 29, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #10,568 of 18,459

Quote:
Don't think much of them right now, but I'll see if that changes as I listen more to them. I guess I'll try some electronica.

Make someone else a deal on them!

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #10,569 of 18,459
I haven't listened to much classical through my LCD-2, but I thought the LCD-2 worked great with non-classical acoustic music.  Skylab recommends to some folks to give it sometime to get used to and try to get away from using your other headphones for a while.  For my friend at work, he listened to my LCD-2 and said he didn't like them at all a couple weeks ago.  Yesterday he borrowed them for a whole day and just listened to them and is now thinking about buying them.  I don't know what the Stax sound like so I can't say, and as for comparing to HE-6, it might be just splitting hairs in a direction you don't like, that others may prefer.

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #10,570 of 18,459
Oh, I see - these head-weights are just exercise equipment that happens to play music like the equipment at the gym - no wonder they don't play classical well!

While I realize mileage will vary for all of us, I disagree that the LCD-2s don't play classical well. I do think top to bottom, my Senns present a better soundstage, and more sense of air in the orchestral works, as noted in my review. But I have found the LCD-2s very effective a classical. As for the weight, well, IMHO, too much weight has been placed on the weight issue, but that's jus me.

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #10,571 of 18,459
visualguy, what source are you using?

Quote:

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #10,572 of 18,459

Quote:
visualguy, what source are you using?

I was just about to ask that because the LCD-2 are very source revealing (to my systems anyways). And I found that with a midrange clogged source, classical musics gets very... well... clogged :¬(

But with a « v » shape FR source (or dare I say a bit of EQ), the stage widens and the instrument separation wins.

I don’t really get your « you need to play them loud to get the best of them » experience I have to say... Quite the contrary??

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #10,573 of 18,459

Quote:
I believe that if you are seated at a good location in a good auditorium, you will hear details which are supressed by the LCD-2 (unless you run them at really high volume). For example, about midway through the first movement of Beethoven's 9th symphony, there's some serious drum playing. I have a very good recording of LSO playing this symphony. I can hear rich details of this drum playing on my other headphones (and speakers), but not on the LCD-2 unless I really crank up the volume on them. The drums are actually played really loud in that section, and I'm pretty sure you would hear them well in an auditorium.

Regardless, my opinion is that headphones and speakers should ideally reproduce the music as mixed and mastered by the recording engineers. It is their job to record it in a way that would sound right (sitting in the auditorium, or on stage, or however they decide they want it to sound.) It is not the job of the headphones or speakers to change the presentation from the way it was recorded to something different.

Visualguy, that's really interesting.  I have a lot of recordings of the Beethoven 9th, mostly on LP.  Which LSO recording are you listening to? 

I have a nice LP as well of a Benjamin Britten recording of the Peter Grimes opera sea interludes.  There's a fantastic tympani section that is central to the impact of the "storm" interlude.  I had the great fortune of hearing this live at Lincoln Center in NY a few years ago.  None of my recordings do a great job of delivering the same impact, but via the LCD-2's, I get the closest to it.  None of the other phones I've tried deliver the *experience* as well. 

Note, I'm a "experience" guy, not a "sounds" guy.  That's partly because of defective hearing in one ear, but if a headphone delivers a musical experience that draws me in so I can forget about everything else, I'm hooked.  I've found both the Stax and the LCD-2's do that for me.  I've only heard the HE-6 at a meet, but I really did not like its presentation.  Maybe with more listening time, my impressions might be closer to yours. 

Or maybe we just hear and interpret sounds differently, which is cool!  Maybe you use a different set of musical cues than I do to build the illusion of the original musical event in your head.  In particular, you may use a lot more high-frequency information than I do, because you have more acute hearing at higher frequencies.  That might be one reason why you like solid state electronics better, whereas I'm a die-hard toob guy.  My focus is mostly on mid-range musical texture and harmonic integrity.  As a result, I can be drawn to tears by a simple 300B single-ended amp, driving a lowther speaker which rolls off the highs AND the lows, but to my ears gets the 'truth' of the music right.  I recently hears the noisy/scratchy 1939 recordings of Pablo Casals playing Bach's solo cello sonatas -- and it is to die for over that system.  

I'll bet you hate that rolled-off crap!  Am I right?

Frank

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #10,574 of 18,459

Quote:

Boy do I disagree with this statement!  I'm about 50% classical, with the remainder being a very eclectic mix of acoustic, rock, African, Celtic, Brazilian, Cuban, and alternative.  To my ears, the LCD-2 does a better job than any other phones I've tried across this mix.  I mean that literally, b/c my ears have some hearing issues.  But I love, love, love the Audez'e's for the music I listen to the most, especially chamber music, strings, guitar, and female vocalists/choral music, like the Bach B-minor mass, Mahler's symphonies or the choral movement of Beethoven's 9th.  I like it even better than my dad's Stax setup for the big choral stuff, although the Audeze's present less detail, the overall presentation seems more real to me. 

Of course opinons are like body parts, everyone's got one...  though some smell better than others.

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #10,575 of 18,459
I, too, find LCD-2 as a good match for classical music, but I'm not sure if it's the best since I haven't heard all the headphones that have ever existed :) I really would like to listen to my collection with HD800 or HE6 

Anyways, I listened Vivaldi's Bassoon concertos last night with LCD-2 and my Westone UM3X (as I was out at a coffee shop). Although I slightly preferred UM3X presentation of the entire orchestra, LCD-2 did an awesome job in imaging and making the recording very vivid and alive to my ears. I used to listen to classical with purely K701, though I really like it, the vastness of the soundstage seemed unrealistic. All that to say, LCD-2 are the best phones I've tried when it comes to listening to classical but I am not going to deny that there may be better options... Just my two cents 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back