Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Mar 25, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #10,486 of 18,459

Quote:
 I'm sure the Pioneer's DAC is of decent quality but the headphone amp is most likely just an op-amp designed for higher efficiency headphones like Denons or Grados, not current-gobbling planars like the LCD-2.

Just some info. There's a thread on head-fi that you can find if you search that investigates the source for the 1/4" jack on amps. The vast majority of amps' 1/4" jacks are driven from the main power supply with resistors, meaning they have plenty of power. A few amps use op-amps to get lower output impedance for low impedance phones. There is still the issue that an amp can have a high output impedance, which could be problematic for dynamic phones, but the LCD-2 are purely resistive so in this case the sound coming out of the power amp is probably quite decent. In any case, grabbing a Lyr or something is still not a bad idea, but it's not going to be a night and day difference.

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #10,487 of 18,459
The $400 pair is also from Brent Jessee - the 50's long plate Mullards do sound much better than the 60's ones, so I heard?

Quote:

$400 a pair is ridiculous, but I guess they're worth whatever someone will pay for them. 

I did a quick search:

Brent Jesse has a pair for $190 and singles for $95.  Unfortunately, currently seems to have only three listed in stock. 

Andy at Vintage has them listed at $45 each.  I think that must be a misprint or dated, but you might want to check into it.

Anyway, I think they're out there for more along the price Skylab suggested. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #10,488 of 18,459
We should take the Leben tube talk to the Leben thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/415214/the-leben-cs300xs-thread

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #10,489 of 18,459

Quote:
Don't forget, that if you overdrive the input of your amp that stage may clip long before your amp finals run out of gas.  It will still sound like clipping, which it is, (of the first stage) but it will have nothing to do with your amp being underpowered.

Granted, is a possibility, but I doubt that is what is happening between the PS Audio and the Apache. Could be, but I doubt it, because it is not discernible with any other headphone. I will have a better clue soon, I think.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #10,490 of 18,459

Quote:
Just some info. There's a thread on head-fi that you can find if you search that investigates the source for the 1/4" jack on amps. The vast majority of amps' 1/4" jacks are driven from the main power supply with resistors, meaning they have plenty of power. A few amps use op-amps to get lower output impedance for low impedance phones. There is still the issue that an amp can have a high output impedance, which could be problematic for dynamic phones, but the LCD-2 are purely resistive so in this case the sound coming out of the power amp is probably quite decent. In any case, grabbing a Lyr or something is still not a bad idea, but it's not going to be a night and day difference.

Here's that thread.  Thanks - interesting reading and a good reference point.  My experience has not been very favorable in terms of listening via headphone jacks on various integrated amps (exceptions being Portal Panache and Cary), but honestly I have not listened to that many when I think about it, and was probably not listening with the most refined headphones most of the time.  I had been under the impression that most manufacturers were using opamps in their headphone outputs, or a compromised (budget built) version of an inline headphone amp taking the line signal off the amp.  I've got to read through the thread.  So far some interesting comments by Fallen Angel. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #10,491 of 18,459

Quote:
...I wish they had a bit more clamping force.

Heh.  Kinda ironic, since the clamping force was one of the complaints about the old style headband.  I have the old style and actually like the seal, but some people feel it's like a vise.

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #10,492 of 18,459
If any of you guys like Alice in Chains you really need to check out the MTV unplugged live CD with the LCD-2... it is scary realistic.

It's not for everyone though, you either love or hate Layne's voice. Down in a Hole and Would? are particularly good imo. At any rate the recording was extremely well executed and just go to show how bad some live albums are.

Think Dave Mathews Band production values and clarity but... it's live ;O

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #10,493 of 18,459
Placed my pre-order on 3/14 and got the payment email today 3/25. 11 days! I guess they are starting to improve production time.

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #10,494 of 18,459

Quote:
Placed my pre-order on 3/14 and got the payment email today 3/25. 11 days! I guess they are starting to improve production time.

placed mine week of  3/7( I can not remember the extact day) and just got the email to pay now.
I think I am getting the wooden box, I do not plan on traveling with it

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #10,495 of 18,459

Quote:
If any of you guys like Alice in Chains you really need to check out the MTV unplugged live CD with the LCD-2... it is scary realistic.

It's not for everyone though, you either love or hate Layne's voice. Down in a Hole and Would? are particularly good imo. At any rate the recording was extremely well executed and just go to show how bad some live albums are.

Think Dave Mathews Band production values and clarity but... it's live ;O

AMEN!!!!!  That is SUCH a great album, both in terms of music and sonics.

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #10,497 of 18,459
How do they sound? 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Pre-order: 2/10
Email order recieved and paid: 3/21
Shipped: 3/23
Received: 3/25

Duration: 43 days

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #10,499 of 18,459
I have the newest version of the headband and indeed there is a bit of a tendency to slip if I'm looking down to read and so on. Nothing too bad, I just push the headband farther back on my head.

And with regard to power amps and headphones, the main reason to believe they sound bad is that some have high output impedance and that can make many dynamics sound muddy, depending on how their impedance varies by frequency.

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #10,500 of 18,459
I got my E-mail from Audeze today. Placed order on March 3rd. So its been 3 weeks. Not bad. I need to make sure they know I need balanced cabling. Im anxious to compare these to my T1's on my new Woo WA22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back