Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Mar 24, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #10,471 of 18,459
Thanks for the reply guys. I'm continuing to use my LCD-2s and the more I listen to them the more I like them. They are beginning to grow on me. As for the recommendation to drive them out of the speaker outs for my Pioneer, that sounds like a pretty good idea though I've never connected speaker wire into a headphone adapter. I'd much rather connect it to Skylab's Pioneer receiver.

Mar 24, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #10,472 of 18,459

Quote:
As for the recommendation to drive them out of the speaker outs for my Pioneer, that sounds like a pretty good idea though I've never connected speaker wire into a headphone adapter. I'd much rather connect it to Skylab's Pioneer receiver.

I can't imagine Skylab is running the LCD-2's off the 160wpc output (8ohms) of that SX1250's speaker terminals without padding that output down with some resistor inline.....say it ain't so!  If you're going to run them straight off speaker taps I'd guess you'd be limited to a more modest amp, like an Eico or Scott putting out about 15wpc.  Rob, would you clarify whether your using the speaker taps with padding or headphone output?  My first amp was a Pioneer SX-650 I think - around 20wpc.  My dad had that setup in his studio up until maybe five years ago.  It was hooked up to the same Advent speakers I had with it, and I'll be damned if it didn't sound very enjoyable after all those years.  Never paid much attention to the headphone output on it. 

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #10,473 of 18,459
Read on AVguide.com, a posting from someone running his LCD-2s directly from the output of a Wyred4Sound DAC2 and raving about the sound quality. Quoth he, a big advantage is no need for a headphone amp.

The DAC2 ($1500) has volume and balance controls, as well as balanced outs. Thought the poster did not specify, I assumed he is using an aftermarket balanced cable on the phones.

My LCDs still on order, along with a Lyr, but now am having thoughts of a DAC2...

Anyone else tried this approach?

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #10,474 of 18,459

I can't imagine Skylab is running the LCD-2's off the 160wpc output (8ohms) of that SX1250's speaker terminals without padding that output down with some resistor inline.....say it ain't so!  If you're going to run them straight off speaker taps I'd guess you'd be limited to a more modest amp, like an Eico or Scott putting out about 15wpc.  Rob, would you clarify whether your using the speaker taps with padding or headphone output?  My first amp was a Pioneer SX-650 I think - around 20wpc.  My dad had that setup in his studio up until maybe five years ago.  It was hooked up to the same Advent speakers I had with it, and I'll be damned if it didn't sound very enjoyable after all those years.  Never paid much attention to the headphone output on it. 

Absolutely using the headphone out. That's the thing about these vintage receivers, the headphone outs were just the main speaker amp, padded down. So all the same great sound, and still more power than one could possibly need to drive any headphone on earth, right from the headphone out.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #10,475 of 18,459

Quote:

I believe Skylab is running out the vintage Pioneer's headphone out, which would be very different than the headphone out of a more modern Pioneer home theater receiver.

Edit: yeah what he said 
L3000.gif

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #10,476 of 18,459
Any recommendation of EL84 tubes which gives more weight to the bass? I am using Amperex long plate D getter 12AX7s for preamplifier and Telefunken EL84s for power amp on my Leben at the moment and finds that the bass is a bit polite for the LCD2 which is renowned for it's bass.

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #10,477 of 18,459
Telefunkens are notoriously lean tubes. Real Mullards would be great, but a quad would run you $400 ish. You might try RCA's or GE's.

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #10,478 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

Absolutely using the headphone out. That's the thing about these vintage receivers, the headphone outs were just the main speaker amp, padded down. So all the same great sound, and still more power than one could possibly need to drive any headphone on earth, right from the headphone out.

Yep - not many manufacturers doing that these days. Some of Cary's amps  and Portal Audio's Panache are the only ones that come to mind, as well as Leben of course.  Thanks for clarifying that - perhaps you saved someone's hearing in the process...or their drivers! 

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #10,479 of 18,459
Woo hoo mine came today! 

1) As everyone has said, absolutely, drop dead, beautiful. I got the wood box which is itself gorgeous, and an ideal bribe to calm down a significant other who's mad you've dropped another grand on headphones.

2) Sounds like speakers more than any phone I've ever heard. In fact, it sounds like my  6 ft tall Martin Logans, but since they're headphones you don't have to tweak the placement to the millimeter :).

3) Apparently they don't leak a lot, not getting complaints from the TV watcher. And they seem to isolate a tiny bit better than standard open phones. When the music's loud, I can barely hear the Real Housewives of Orange County whining in the background.

4) They are big & on the heavy side, but in a pleasant way. Nothing like a motorcycle helmet. Still, this is something you'd have to be prepared for.

5) They love my Schiit Lyr. I plugged them into my E7/E9 at work briefly, and it wasn't impressive with Pandora, but I didn't really expect streamed 192kbps MP3s to sound great thru an audiophile headphone. At home with my best set up they are sublime. If burn in is real, and they get even better, I'll be amazed.

6) For Mac folks: another recent upgrade I did was get an output cable from Blue Jeans Cable for my Apogee Duet to replace the Medusa dongle (which I can always put back on for studio uses). It REALLY helped. The Apogee sounds so sweet, but those thin cables and all the adapters you need to use it with RCA in's are definitely digging into your bass & imaging.

7) These phones resolve like crazy. I'm 50 and I don't find them dark or veiled at all. Plenty of air & sparkle with my set up. But no, not like Grados (fan) but your brain adjusts quickly. Had to go thru the same thing with my ML speakers. The attack of plucked strings feels almost like someone is gently tapping you on the ear. Solo vocalists are singing to you, only you. It's just, very real.  Like all great transducers they are sensitive to what you feed them though. 

These are definitely classics. There is no such thing as a phone that make EVERYTHING fun and wonderful, but these definitely provide a unique & wonderful point of view.  I now have about 4 headphones which I adore and each one provides a slightly different perspective on my favorite recordings.

And Audeze is a great company to do business with, they have been extremely responsive to every inquiry. They definitely over deliver on their promises. 

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #10,480 of 18,459

Quote:
Woo hoo mine came today! 

1) As everyone has said, absolutely, drop dead, beautiful. I got the wood box which is itself gorgeous, and an ideal bribe to calm down a significant other who's mad you've dropped another grand on headphones.

2) Sounds like speakers more than any phone I've ever heard. In fact, it sounds like my  6 ft tall Martin Logans, but since they're headphones you don't have to tweak the placement to the millimeter :).

3) Apparently they don't leak a lot, not getting complaints from the TV watcher. And they seem to isolate a tiny bit better than standard open phones. When the music's loud, I can barely hear the Real Housewives of Orange County whining in the background.

4) They are big & on the heavy side, but in a pleasant way. Nothing like a motorcycle helmet. Still, this is something you'd have to be prepared for.

5) They love my Schiit Lyr. I plugged them into my E7/E9 at work briefly, and it wasn't impressive with Pandora, but I didn't really expect streamed 192kbps MP3s to sound great thru an audiophile headphone. At home with my best set up they are sublime. If burn in is real, and they get even better, I'll be amazed.

6) For Mac folks: another recent upgrade I did was get an output cable from Blue Jeans Cable for my Apogee Duet to replace the Medusa dongle (which I can always put back on for studio uses). It REALLY helped. The Apogee sounds so sweet, but those thin cables and all the adapters you need to use it with RCA in's are definitely digging into your bass & imaging.

7) These phones resolve like crazy. I'm 50 and I don't find them dark or veiled at all. Plenty of air & sparkle with my set up. But no, not like Grados (fan) but your brain adjusts quickly. Had to go thru the same thing with my ML speakers. The attack of plucked strings feels almost like someone is gently tapping you on the ear. Solo vocalists are singing to you, only you. It's just, very real.  Like all great transducers they are sensitive to what you feed them though. 

These are definitely classics. There is no such thing as a phone that make EVERYTHING fun and wonderful, but these definitely provide a unique & wonderful point of view.  I now have about 4 headphones which I adore and each one provides a slightly different perspective on my favorite recordings.

And Audeze is a great company to do business with, they have been extremely responsive to every inquiry. They definitely over deliver on their promises. 

Thanks for posting your impressions. My fiance could not stop laughing for about 10 minutes when she saw me with them on. I must admit I thought they'd be a bit smaller but they are unusually comfortable. However, I can't make any sudden movements with my head, especially looking down or else they fall off. I wish they had a bit more clamping force.

As for the Mac users with Apogee Duet, this is something I was considering to drive the LCD-2s. What's your impression of the pairing? I thought it's probably a good value but didn't think it's dac (if it has a dac) or amp would be adequate enough to drive some quality phones as individual dac/amp pieces could. I've read the Duet was created more for recording then for playback. For $500 bucks it looks pretty good.

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #10,481 of 18,459

Quote:
Woo hoo mine came today! 

any chance I could ask what your other favourite headphones are 

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #10,482 of 18,459
I am thinking about buying a pair of these for movies and bass heavy music. I have also found a pair of Thunderpants for sale. Can anyone give a comparison of the two. I am not sure I have enough to buy both.

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #10,483 of 18,459

I went through some online shops and ebay and the 50's Mullards are actually much more expensive. More like $400ish for a pair rather than a quad. Since I also have a pair of Sylvania 12AX7s, should I get the Bugleboy EL84s? I understand you are using this setup? Many thanks. 

Quote:
Telefunkens are notoriously lean tubes. Real Mullards would be great, but a quad would run you $400 ish. You might try RCA's or GE's.

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #10,484 of 18,459

Quote:
I went through some online shops and ebay and the 50's Mullards are actually much more expensive. More like $400ish for a pair rather than a quad. Since I also have a pair of Sylvania 12AX7s, should I get the Bugleboy EL84s? I understand you are using this setup? Many thanks. 

$400 a pair is ridiculous, but I guess they're worth whatever someone will pay for them. 

I did a quick search:

Brent Jesse has a pair for $190 and singles for $95.  Unfortunately, currently seems to have only three listed in stock. 

Andy at Vintage has them listed at $45 each.  I think that must be a misprint or dated, but you might want to check into it.

Anyway, I think they're out there for more along the price Skylab suggested. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #10,485 of 18,459

Quote:

I would think it is also possible to clip a DAC unit, since it has an output stage as well as the DAC itself can be clipped, I haven't see it happen to often in audio where you clip a DAC or an output stage of a DAC, but you can saturate just about anything electronic, how it reacts to the saturation can be different though.

By definition, one cannot cause a DAC to clip since it supposedly is designed to handle FFFFFF.  You can't get any louder than that.  If you EVER hear a DAC clip, immediately stop everything you're doing and throw it in the trash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back