Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Mar 24, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #10,456 of 18,459

Quote:
I'm writing because only a few hours ago I received my LCD-2s.

snip

all I had to connect my LCD-2's were was my home theater receiver, a Pioneer VSX1019-AHK...The Pioneer receiver does an excellent job driving my home theater system which consist of Definitive Technology BP7002 towers

snip

Honestly I was expecting more out of the headphones.

snip

After reading some of SP Wild's commendations on the Muse DAC Mini that sells for about $100 shipped on ebay (which he rated higher than the Bryston DBA-1) I was thinking of purchasing this and pairing it to a relatively cheap but high performance amplifier like the Lyr.

There's a lot of good DACs out there but the main improvement for the LCD-2 in your system would be from something like the Lyr. Your Pioneer doesn't use the same type of amplification for the headphone section as it does for the speaker section and if it has a record or preamp line out available you could hook something like the Lyr up to that. I'm sure the Pioneer's DAC is of decent quality but the headphone amp is most likely just an op-amp designed for higher efficiency headphones like Denons or Grados, not current-gobbling planars like the LCD-2.

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #10,457 of 18,459

Quote:
My LCD-2s arrived today. I had every intention of burning them in gradually, but.......well, let's just say that impatience got the better of me. As others have noted, the packaging is impressive and thoughtful. Mine arrived in wonderful shape, smell great [that new headphone smell!], and look beautiful. I found them comfortable to wear.

I am listening to them through the following system:

Mac mini [2008] running Fidelia, playing all lossless or completely uncompressed files, through an Audiophileo Model 1 into a PS Audio Digital Link III DAC with the Cullen IV Mods, balanced out to an RSA Apache [Rev. C] [using all three gain settings at different times]. The primary other cans I am comparing them to are my Sennheiser 800s, on the Blue Moon Blue Dragon balanced cables.

First few cuts I listened to sounded excellent: DVD-Audio of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours [96/24], DVD-Audio of Eagles Hotel California [192/24], AIX  Goldberg & Moonlight Acoustica [96/24], some Linn 192/24 recordings, including Claire Martin and Carol Kidd. Initial impressions: narrower, though possibly deeper soundstage than the Senns, a smoothness and liquidity that seemed more natural [though I am wiling to bet the Senns are probably more accurate], more natural high end. Bass seemd a tad soft perhaps. Nothing "dark" as described by others, but perhaps overall a sense of being in a smaller room listening.

Then I went back to one of my faves: the Telarc recording of Robert Shaw conducting the ASO on Verdi's Requiem, the Dies Irae track. Here I heard something that did not sound good. On significant drum thwacks, the LCD-2s crackled or popped. Has anyone else had this experience? I did not have the volume turned all the way up, and I replayed the track to make sure I did not mis-hear something. There is a definitive pop or crackle with each drum whack, as if the membrane just can't handle it. Reminded me of my first Infinity electrostats decades ago, to a lesser degree my Quads in the 70s, but for different reasons.

Is this a break-in issue, or a membrane break-up issue? 

How about an amp running out of gas can't handle it issue.  You're either overdriving the preamp or the amp finals in all likelihood.  With a 133dB max output, you will hurt your ears well before you overdrive the headphones themselves.

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #10,458 of 18,459
Well, why dont you just try and connect the LCD-2s to the Speaker Outputs of the Pioneer Reciver, this way youll have the same amp circuit driving the speakers as well as the phones?

Quote:
"... 
Honestly I was expecting more out of the headphones. My $600 speakers did a better job bringing me into the music than the LCD-2s. Now before I (or anyone else for that matter) makes any snap judgements I know that the headhphones could sound better on another higher grade system. The system I was testing after all was made for home theater, not for headphones....."

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #10,459 of 18,459

Quote:
How about an amp running out of gas can't handle it issue.  You're either overdriving the preamp or the amp finals in all likelihood.  With a 133dB max output, you will hurt your ears well before you overdrive the headphones themselves.

kwkarth: thanks for the reply. That is of course a possibility. The Apache is generally not thought of as underpowered, but it is possible that is is now on the LCD-2. I have a Decware Taboo on the way for the LCD-2, but it has unfortunately not arrived yet.

What is interesting is that this Telarc recording is not the only recording I have with good bass notes, I have another very hi-res recording of the Requiem that I have not yet tried, but will. The 1812 cannons did not produce this effect, and neither did the Sheffield Track & Drum. What I do know is that I am not imagining it, as I had confirmed it with others in my office. And it happens on none of my other headphones, and they aren't exactly slouches, but to your point, they aren't power monsters either.

Thanks for the reply. I am enjoying the LCD-2s very much. They are more pleasant than the Senns, though in all candor, I cannot say they are superior in all respects. They aren't.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #10,460 of 18,459

Quote:
As has been mentioned, I don't think burn in really does anything for the headphones except get your perceptions a little more used to the sound.  The presentation is pretty unique.  Glad you find it comfortable!

About the crackles and pops you're hearing, I'm unfortunately unfamiliar with your setup, so I couldn't tell you if there's something wrong with the headphones or some other issue.  Have you had the chance to try them on a different rig?

jax speaks truth.  There's definitely some decent amps for the LCD-2 in different price brackets and,  As Skylab mentioned, they do take some getting used to and are not necessarily for everyone.  But then again if there was something that was "worked" for everyone what would we need with all these other headphones? 
o2smile.gif

I haven't tried them on a different rig yet, but I will. I am waiting for my Decware Taboo. I originally had a Lyr on pre-order but opted for the Tabpp instead.

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #10,461 of 18,459

Quote:
Wow, so what will be your office rig? Concerto?

Nope, the LCD-2 in my office will be driven by THIS:

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #10,462 of 18,459
Very classy. Those old Pioneers bring back memories.

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #10,463 of 18,459
Thanks.  It's a SX-1250 in near-mint condition.  Sounds great too - more power than the LCD-2 could ever want, and very clean.   Sounds better than the (excellent) Concerto, IMO.

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #10,466 of 18,459

Quote:
I have a question: do you find that you listen to the LCD2 at higher SPL compared to your other headphones?

Not really.  I find that what often would drive me to listen to loud with some headphones was a desire to bring up the bass weight.  With the LCD-2, this isn't necessary.

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #10,467 of 18,459
Log0, while eventually you may find the LCD-2 are not for you, I strongly recommend that you give them some time.  Not so much that they need break-in, as YOU do...you need to get used to the way the LCD-2 present music.  After a while, you will either love it, or not, but it isn't the kind of thing that everyone gets into immediately.  For me it was love at first listen, but lots of other people have reported liking them much more after getting used to them.

I like them so much I ordered another pair (meaning I got "in line" again).  I've had mine almost a year now, and I want to have a second pair for the office.  I like them that much.

Same here, fell in love the moment I listen to it. I'm thinking of getting one with the travel case. :D

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #10,469 of 18,459

Quote:
kwkarth: thanks for the reply. That is of course a possibility. The Apache is generally not thought of as underpowered, but it is possible that is is now on the LCD-2. I have a Decware Taboo on the way for the LCD-2, but it has unfortunately not arrived yet.

What is interesting is that this Telarc recording is not the only recording I have with good bass notes, I have another very hi-res recording of the Requiem that I have not yet tried, but will. The 1812 cannons did not produce this effect, and neither did the Sheffield Track & Drum. What I do know is that I am not imagining it, as I had confirmed it with others in my office. And it happens on none of my other headphones, and they aren't exactly slouches, but to your point, they aren't power monsters either.

Thanks for the reply. I am enjoying the LCD-2s very much. They are more pleasant than the Senns, though in all candor, I cannot say they are superior in all respects. They aren't.

Don't forget, that if you overdrive the input of your amp that stage may clip long before your amp finals run out of gas.  It will still sound like clipping, which it is, (of the first stage) but it will have nothing to do with your amp being underpowered.

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #10,470 of 18,459

Quote:
Don't forget, that if you overdrive the input of your amp that stage may clip long before your amp finals run out of gas.  It will still sound like clipping, which it is, (of the first stage) but it will have nothing to do with your amp being underpowered.

I would think it is also possible to clip a DAC unit, since it has an output stage as well as the DAC itself can be clipped, I haven't see it happen to often in audio where you clip a DAC or an output stage of a DAC, but you can saturate just about anything electronic, how it reacts to the saturation can be different though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back