Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Mar 19, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #10,291 of 18,459

Quote:
Well, with a brief listen it is really hard to say what is what.  Plus the environment was tough sometimes with a open headphone, but I will say that I read a bunch that people did not like the synergy between the LCD-2 and the WA-5 and well I kinda liked it, but listening to a song really isn't enough, plus it was really nice to meet Jack and his father.  For budget amps though the Lyr seems to definitely a good value and sounded quite good, although again a song.  Lyr seemed to both my friend and I a little bit bright.  The WA-22 and the LCD-2 sounded real nice to me, but needed some more power, the amp had the 6080s in it so I would assume the 7236 and the 5998s will be a great help here.  The Isabellina is a little rough for me to guage, atleast for me.  I got to listen to 3 songs on it and chat with Vinne R.  I definitely thought it was a good amp.  Pretty much initial impressions are they are all good amps at the very least, making it harder for me to decide what else to buy if I want to buy anything more at all.  I would have loved to hear the Apex Peak/Volcano and the Leben combos, but I didn't see any there.  

That's interesting that you found the Lyr to be a bit bright, I assume relative to the other amps you heard the LCD-2 with. I would also assume this was with the Lyr's stock tubes? I can confirm that the 7236/5998 power tubes are just what the doctor ordered with the WA22, both sound nice with the LCD-2 depending on the rectifier used.

I have been reading that the Lyr is no slouch in the bass department, so I am starting to think that it may lean towards the "V" side of neutral. Was the source different with each amp, and did anything strike you about the midrange with the Lyr?

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #10,292 of 18,459

Quote:
That's interesting that you found the Lyr to be a bit bright,

Nothing some tube rolling wouldn't change.
smile.gif

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #10,294 of 18,459

Quote:
That's interesting that you found the Lyr to be a bit bright, I assume relative to the other amps you heard the LCD-2 with. I would also assume this was with the Lyr's stock tubes? I can confirm that the 7236/5998 power tubes are just what the doctor ordered with the WA22, both sound nice with the LCD-2 depending on the rectifier used.

I have been reading that the Lyr is no slouch in the bass department, so I am starting to think that it may lean towards the "V" side of neutral. Was the source different with each amp, and did anything strike you about the midrange with the Lyr?

Well, I would agree the bass is definitely no slouch on the Lyr.  So yeah a little V shaped, I caveat my whole day with the fact that a song or two some with music I'm unfamiliar with is hardly a great judge of an amplifiers character.  Also different sources since everyone had a different source.  Yeah and the Lyr had only been used for a few hours, so I'm not even sure the tubes had a chance to even get off their initial sound, which I find typically have to run the tubes for several hours before they start to sound good.  The WA-22 had EML 5U4G in it but standard other tubes.

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #10,295 of 18,459
A couple of people I have spoken with also said the Lyr was bright to them. Though they are people who prefer a smoother, darker sound. Still, I think the Lyr sounds like (at least with stock tubes) to be slightly bright with good bass slam. Would like to know more about the mids. Tube rolling could of course change all this, but it sounds like a lot of effort with the Lyr.

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #10,296 of 18,459

Quote:
The Isabellina is a little rough for me to guage, atleast for me.  I got to listen to 3 songs on it and chat with Vinne R.  I definitely thought it was a good amp.  

Did the Isabellina you listened to have a balanced output? Something about the headphone stage looks different in the photos posted in the impressions.

If so, did balancing have much of an effect on the LCD2s? Did you get to hear it on any of the other balanced amps?

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #10,297 of 18,459
Hey all,

Could I kindly ask for somebody to link me to the video that shows you how to replace the plastic blocks? Mine finally cracked completely yesterday, but I do already have the replacement blocks and the screws. I did get the email but it seems to have gotten lost, and I recall it was a link to a video. It's not on the Audeze web site for some reason though...

Thanks in advance!

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #10,298 of 18,459

Quote:
Who said anything about 'entire sound signature' and a number of people, including myself, can confirm that the aftermarket cable's they are using do make a difference to the tonal balance even if it is relatively minor.

I was just commenting that the LCD-2 is regarded as a slightly darker than neutral phone, and your post seemed to imply that it was the cable that was dark, not the headphones. I'm not doubting that aftermarket cables can make a difference, since I've never head any myself, but I'm skeptical about large changes in sound signature purely from a technical standpoint. I'm not trying to start a war here, I'm just making sure there's no hyperbole being thrown around. 

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #10,299 of 18,459

Quote:
Did the Isabellina you listened to have a balanced output? Something about the headphone stage looks different in the photos posted in the impressions.

If so, did balancing have much of an effect on the LCD2s? Did you get to hear it on any of the other balanced amps?

Yes, it was balanced, and frankly was the best sound of the show IMO.  My LCD-2's using Norse's 8-conductor 4-pin balanced cable just SANG when powered by the Red Wine.  The dynamics and bass were STUNNING and the mids never seemed more liquidy. 

I'm blown away by this amp through these headphones...it was the biggest 'Wow' of the day for me. 

I heard them through the Woo WA22 which was also FANTASTIC, but the Isabellina was the best IMO.

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #10,300 of 18,459
Cool! Thanks for the impressions. I'm looking forward to hearing the LCD2s balanced at an upcoming meet. It sounds like I'll be in for quite a treat.

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #10,301 of 18,459

Quote:
A couple of people I have spoken with also said the Lyr was bright to them. Though they are people who prefer a smoother, darker sound. Still, I think the Lyr sounds like (at least with stock tubes) to be slightly bright with good bass slam. Would like to know more about the mids. Tube rolling could of course change all this, but it sounds like a lot of effort with the Lyr.

The published spec from the manufacturer is:
Frequency Response: 2Hz-200KHz, -3dB, so as far as the Lyr having a "V" shaped frequency response is concerned, either the manufacturer is telling a lie, or people are hearing things.

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #10,302 of 18,459

Quote:
The published spec from the manufacturer is:
Frequency Response: 2Hz-200KHz, -3dB, so as far as the Lyr having a "V" shaped frequency response is concerned, either the manufacturer is telling a lie, or people are hearing things.

That is indeed interesting, as pretty much every review I've read across head-fi has complimented it's extra bass. Looking forward to hearing it for myself to see how it pans out.

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #10,303 of 18,459

Quote:
That is indeed interesting, as pretty much every review I've read across head-fi has complimented it's extra bass. Looking forward to hearing it for myself to see how it pans out.

Maybe it's not "extra" bass, but real bass which is not power limited for the first time...

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #10,304 of 18,459
Pic of my LCD2 with custom cable and close-up of custom cable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Does the cable look familiar?
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back