Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Mar 13, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #10,081 of 18,459

Quote:
I got back a B22 yesterday that was previously non-functional and has been fixed. The first headphone I wanted to check out on it was the LCD-2 and I've been listening to this combo for a couple of hours so far.

On an informal impression versus being in balanced mode on the HeadAmp GS-X (no actual comparison, just going off recent memory), the LCD-2 on the B22 sounds good, and seemingly definitely better than the GS-X, even without the advantage of balanced mode. There's a sense of more-weighted bass and more power overall into the bass/mid-bass - making for a fuller, thicker sound. There's also a sense of it being more open-sounding - everything pushed out & away more and more air throughout the music. In this sense, it's almost like a step towards the direction of the OII/BHSE. I wouldn't say the B22 rectifies some issues that I have with the LCD-2 though - it's still a very good headphone, but not amazing in every aspect for me, even with the B22. I'm extremely demanding when it comes to my electronica and so far the LCD-2 has been falling short of the Audio-Technica AD2000's sound - this is just personal preference though. If I had never heard the AD2K, it's possible I'd like the LCD-2 a lot more.

My in-progress/ongoing review of the LCD-2 will be updated to cover it amped with the B22 for more details and when my impressions will be better formulated. This review will definitely be posted by 4/11 btw (as I know at least one person is waiting for it).

While the LCD-2 does sound the best that I've heard it so far (very physical bass being the most prominent aspect about it), I'm not sure I'm going to keep it though and for me it's facing an uphill battle with my OII/BHSE and AD2K. As good as the bass is (and it has a lot more quantity than the AD2K), it's just not the kind of bass (and overall sound) that the AD2K delivers (which I've gotten used to over the last 5 years). There's a strong possibility that I'm going to be keeping my electrostatic system, and on the dynamic side just keep the AD2K (with either GS-X or Gilmore Lite).

These impressions are with the new ADZ-5 cable btw, which I got earlier this week.

Since Ive not heard the O2/BHSE combo I dont know how I would find there sound, but the LCD-2s gel quite well with the amp I own and I use the AD2Ks with the same, so if Id venture a guess Id say you find the AD2Ks somewhat faster on electronica? Im not familiar with the B22, but if I recall correctly it uses feedback? Isnt it possible that if youd use the LCD-2 with an amp of the calibre of the BHSE or better that you might percieve them as equal of the O2s?
From my understanding the BHSE represents close to the best(bar the DIY-T2) amp available for an O2, but Id be surprised if the B22 is seen as an equal for dynamics/orthos?

Mar 13, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #10,082 of 18,459

Quote:
Since Ive not heard the O2/BHSE combo I dont know how I would find there sound, but the LCD-2s gel quite well with the amp I own and I use the AD2Ks with the same, so if Id venture a guess Id say you find the AD2Ks somewhat faster on electronica? Im not familiar with the B22, but if I recall correctly it uses feedback? Isnt it possible that if youd use the LCD-2 with an amp of the calibre of the BHSE or better that you might percieve them as equal of the O2s?
From my understanding the BHSE represents close to the best(bar the DIY-T2) amp available for an O2, but Id be surprised if the B22 is seen as an equal for dynamics/orthos?

[size=medium]
I would say the B22 is widely regarded as one of the best, if not the best, solid state amps for dynamic headphones. Also, going by price alone I would expect the omega 2s to beat the lcd 2s since they retail for almost three times the price.
[/size]

Mar 13, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #10,083 of 18,459

Quote:

I agree the AD2Ks are very nice phones and the only ones I kept after selling of all my other cans including the T1,HD800 and HE5LEs, but I still wonder what you consider a properly matched amp, can you give an example of one you think makes the AD2Ks shine?
Have you heard the LCD-2s with a "suitable" amp, they sound very nice with my APL amp, dont know what you used with them?
Tks P

The AD2000's seemed to improve dramatically, when I completed the pad mod to lift the drivers from my ears - no longer had honky upper mids.   And... they mate very well with the WA6 SEm... and... if I recall correctly, the X-Can v8.  With my set up, they sound very, very similar to my Stax Stuff... and... may have a bit better bass.

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #10,084 of 18,459
Ok, tks for that, I will look into this pad mod what it is.

Quote:
The AD2000's seemed to improve dramatically, when I completed the pad mod to lift the drivers from my ears - no longer had honky upper mids.   And... they mate very well with the WA6 SEm... and... if I recall correctly, the X-Can v8.  With my set up, they sound very, very similar to my Stax Stuff... and... may have a bit better bass.

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #10,085 of 18,459

Ok, I just looked at the schematics long time ago and not heard one, but you dont think there is something one could build/buy for 6k irrespective of SS or tubes that wouldnt be better?
Im just saying if people use 6k amp for the O2 why not for the LCD-2, not that its necessary but if we are comparing apples?

Quote:

[size=medium]
I would say the B22 is widely regarded as one of the best, if not the best, solid state amps for dynamic headphones. Also, going by price alone I would expect the omega 2s to beat the lcd 2s since they retail for almost three times the price.
[/size]

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #10,086 of 18,459
Most people don't mod, if you have to mod your headphones to get them sounding appropriate then they are by design flawed imo and should be reworked and re-released based on what works best.  Most people also don't have the time to properly match an amp or the sufficient funding making that point kind of moot as well.

Not trying to attack you, just my opinion.

Doesn't mean its wrong to mod them, or pair them with the right amp to make them epic.  It just means they are not really worthy of much to most people.
Quote:
Ah yes... the AD2000's... as I've noted elsewhere (many times), I don't think a lot of people have ever heard the AD2000's with the pad mod and properly matched to an amp.  Without question, they are among the best dynamic phones out there, with very few limitations.  To me... very "Stax like."

And... if I recall correctly... you were one of those who introduced me to them 4 years ago.  Truly great phones.

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #10,087 of 18,459

Quote:

Ok, I just looked at the schematics long time ago and not heard one, but you dont think there is something one could build/buy for 6k irrespective of SS or tubes that wouldnt be better?
Im just saying if people use 6k amp for the O2 why not for the LCD-2, not that its necessary but if we are comparing apples?

Go look at the RMAA results for the Beta 22 and some of the other specs like slew rate and frequency response and find me a commercial amp that is better. The thing is basically flat within .5 dB from DC to 2 MHz and has a ridiculously high slew rate, and is one of the highest power headphone amps around. I imagine if it was a commercial offering it would cost 5-10k in a nice enclosure, considering it costs 1-1.5k in parts alone if you put it in a nice enclosure with milled panels. 

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #10,088 of 18,459
Most people don't mod, if you have to mod your headphones to get them sounding appropriate then they are by design flawed imo and should be reworked and re-released based on what works best.  Most people also don't have the time to properly match an amp or the sufficient funding making that point kind of moot as well.

Doesn't mean its wrong to mod them, or pair them with the right amp to make them epic.  It just means they are not really worthy of much to most people.

Well I havent modded, and never heard them modded, my AD2Ks and think they on par with the HD800.

Mar 13, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #10,089 of 18,459

Go look at the RMAA results for the Beta 22 and some of the other specs like slew rate and frequency response and find me a commercial amp that is better. The thing is basically flat within .5 dB from DC to 2 MHz and has a ridiculously high slew rate, and is one of the highest power headphone amps around. I imagine if it was a commercial offering it would cost 5-10k in a nice enclosure, considering it costs 1-1.5k in parts alone if you put it in a nice enclosure with milled panels. 

So I guess theres no hope for the LCD-2s then:frowning2: No just kidding.
Feedback amps ususally measures good but Id take a no feedback amp if I could choose.
Id be happy to compare my amp (APL) against the Beta22 any day.
Anyway I think the LCD-2s are very nice cans and with the plus of being able to drive them with a speaker amp, so yore comparing 1k vs 8k investment and getting similar performance at leadt for the regular pedestrian.

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #10,090 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

Well I havent modded, and never heard them modded, my AD2Ks and think they on par with the HD800.

You guys do realize that this is an LCD-2 thread, don't you?

Mar 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #10,091 of 18,459
How does the LCD2 compare to the JH13? I know its not exactly an apples to orange comparison, but JH13s are the best I have and I am about to jump on a pair of used stagedac/concerto and a new LCD2. Is the sound different? I tried the stagedac/concerto combo with HD800s and prefered my JH13s. They sound similar, but the JH13s has that better impact on the low end and did not get as shrill as the HD800s in the highs. Thanks!

Mar 13, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #10,092 of 18,459
I had the JH13 but had to sell due to comfort issues and got the LCD-2 instead. Didn't do a direct comparison.
I can understand you with the impact thing on the JH13, but the LCD-2 re-define this term.
There's more sense of depth and resolution. The LCD-2 produces a clearer image of the music, even though it is considered dark.
Apart from superiority in bass, the sound is more detailed, i.e, I noticed things in my most favored recordings that I didn't notice on the JH13.

Mar 13, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #10,093 of 18,459
Has anyone that ordered after January 18th got their order link?

I ordered on the 25th.... so close now... I hope.

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #10,094 of 18,459
Quote:

[semi-off-topic] No offense intended, but the AD2000 sound fast mostly because of the upper-mids emphasis. They don't have anywhere near the speed of Stax setups. I owned a pair of AD2000 for around a year and enjoyed them, but I don't think they're in the same league as the O2 and similar headphones.

Also, I use a pair of JH13 as my main headphones now so I should be able to do a comparative review of them vs the LCD-2's within a month or two.

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #10,095 of 18,459
I have been comparing the LCD-2 and the HD650, with both being balanced. The 650's balanced, to my ear, are so much better than when single ended, being more  They are truly enjoyable but what I notice is that sound is slightly more distant, which gives the impression of more space but also this is often a factor of the mids being slightly recessed, which in comparison to the LCD-2, they do sound. I enjoy both but to my ear, the LCD-2 have a purer, cleaner sound. I would still be happy with either and it is nice to have both perspectives as it is to have the HE-6. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back