Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Mar 11, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #10,051 of 18,459

Quote:
to someone who doesnt own one, 10k posts of what may seem like hype. by me saying it lives up to all this gushing people were doing about them. often is the case on here that something gets the spotlight, and fades fast.  but my apologies if youre gonna bust out definitions for a forum post john. original post edited. :p

Hey, it's all good. I liked your unedited post more. lol and a :^)

Living on an island surrounded by 1.2 million sq miles of ocean. I often feel that you can't get there from here but someone did. 

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #10,052 of 18,459

Quote:
Yes, I hear that occasionally.  Don't do that.  
wink_face.gif

Hey, I heard the same thing (just on left cup) last week.

What do you think is happening to what when doing that? I am hoping not the driver.

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #10,053 of 18,459

Quote:
Hey, I heard the same thing (just on left cup) last week.
What do you think is happening to what when doing that? I am hoping not the driver.

What's happening is that with the airtight seal against your ear, when you compress the ear pad against your head, you're compressing the air in between your head/ear and the diaphragm of the driver.  What you're hearing is the extreme flexion of the diaphragm (like blowing up a metallized balloon) and the compressed air escaping where it can.

Mar 12, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #10,055 of 18,459

Quote:
What's happening is that with the airtight seal against your ear, when you compress the ear pad against your head, you're compressing the air in between your head/ear and the diaphragm of the driver.  What you're hearing is the extreme flexion of the diaphragm (like blowing up a metallized balloon) and the compressed air escaping where it can.

shouldnt it happen on both sides then?

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #10,056 of 18,459

Quote:
shouldnt it happen on both sides then?

Obviously, the effectiveness of the seal is not identical from side to side.

Mar 12, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #10,058 of 18,459

Quote:
I've been sitting on my order page for a few weeks now. After waiting as long as I did, i got heavily into IEMs and now I don't think the LCD-2 is something I want to get at all.

I tend to agree… not because of the wait time… but… because after reading all the critical comments, I just don’t believe the LCD-2 and HE-6 can sound significantly better than the better Stax Stuff, or AD2000, or RS-1 do with matching setups.  And… some maintain the orthos… are not even close to the better Stax Stuff.  Especially, considering the special requirements of the LCD-2 and HE-6, and their cost with those special setups.  For example, from my experience, for me, I know the better Stax Stuff doesn’t sound significantly better than the AD2000 with the proper mods and matching set up.

I believe many have never heard phones like the AD2000, and RS-1, even the “new version” Senns, with the proper mods and set ups.  So, they are left with impressions of these phones, which do not reflect their true sound (e.g. “Grados are strident, or shrill, and have no soundstage,” or “AD2000’s are shrill, or honky and have no soundstage,” etc .).

I suppose it’s possible that the Stax Stuff, and the orthos, could sound marginally better than these dynamics… IF… you’re willing to invest in all the special requirements to drive them to their potential.  But, that marginal improvement is achieved at a significant cost premium, compared to that small, rather nuanced, difference in sound quality. That significant additional investment may be reasonable for those who appreciate “nuance,” - but, not likely so for those who don’t - which would include me.  There are those who would pay the premium for a 1921 Dom Perignon - just not me.

So… it’s really all about the “marginal utility of your dollar” and how much you appreciate “nuance.”

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #10,059 of 18,459
Gradofan2 said:

I tend to agree… not because of the wait time… but… because after reading all the critical comments, I just don’t believe the LCD-2 and HE-6 can sound significantly better than the better Stax Stuff, or AD2000, or RS-1 do with matching setups.  And… some maintain the orthos… are not even close to the better Stax Stuff.  Especially, considering the special requirements of the LCD-2 and HE-6, and their cost with those special setups.  For example, from my experience, for me, I know the better Stax Stuff doesn’t sound significantly better than the AD2000 with the proper mods and matching set up.

I believe many have never heard phones like the AD2000, and RS-1, even the “new version” Senns, with the proper mods and set ups.  So, they are left with impressions of these phones, which do not reflect their true sound (e.g. “Grados are strident, or shrill, and have no soundstage,” or “AD2000’s are shrill, or honky and have no soundstage,” etc .).

I suppose it’s possible that the Stax Stuff, and the orthos, could sound marginally better than these dynamics… IF… you’re willing to invest in all the special requirements to drive them to their potential.  But, that marginal improvement is achieved at a significant cost premium, compared to that small, rather nuanced, difference in sound quality. That significant additional investment may be reasonable for those who appreciate “nuance,” - but, not likely so for those who don’t - which would include me.  There are those who would pay the premium for a 1921 Dom Perignon - just not me.

So… it’s really all about the “marginal utility of your dollar” and how much you appreciate “nuance.”

I don't think LCD-2s sound like Stax at all. They each bring individual strengths to the table that anyone might enjoy. If you firmly embrace the strengths of one then I understand that perspective, but I wouldn't be so quick to say one sounds "better" without having heard both. I've thought both sound great, but it's more of a question for me if I could live longterm with the airy, detailed sound signature of Stax since I've only heard them in passing and have not owned them. In comparison the Audeze sounds more firmly grounded and linear, less out-of-head...more flesh on the bone. They loose big time in sounsdtaging and marginally in detail and upper end presentation. I think I prefer the mids on the Audeze, but I think I need more head-time to comment further. Bottom line - the two sound quite different. I'm basing my comments on listening to an O2 rig at a recent meet, as well as having heard various other Stax rigs on previous occasions, all of which fell short of the recent O2 listen.

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #10,060 of 18,459

Could you please elaborate on getting the best out of the AD2K, what amps/source did you use and how did you get it to outperform the LCD-2s?
Tks P

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #10,061 of 18,459

Quote:

I don't think LCD-2s sound like Stax at all. They each bring individual strengths to the table that anyone might enjoy. If you firmly embrace the strengths of one then I understand that perspective, but I wouldn't be so quick to say one sounds "better" without having heard both. I've thought both sound great, but it's more of a question for me if I could live longterm with the airy, detailed sound signature of Stax since I've only heard them in passing and have not owned them. In comparison the Audeze sounds more firmly grounded and linear, less out-of-head...more flesh on the bone. They loose big time in sounsdtaging and marginally in detail and upper end presentation. I think I prefer the mids on the Audeze, but I think I need more head-time to comment further. Bottom line - the two sound quite different.

Whether one is preferable over the other is also a function of the type of music.  I have the 507 and the LCD-2 and love them both, but prefer the 507 for the types of music I listen to the most -- acoustic and vocal jazz.

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #10,062 of 18,459
If you want soundstage that is big, with impact then go balanced and as I did recently and the Twag 2. On some live recorded music the vastness, while not unnatural, keeps me looking around. It is totally out of head, IMO. No, it isn't speakers but in a way, there are some things I like better. I hear a purity of sound that can really bring you into the music, and that is what it is all about. Listening to Luther Allison "Live In Chicago", Cherry Red Wine or most any of the cuts, is a you are there experience, that it puts most everything else I have in phones to shame. 

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #10,063 of 18,459
The AD2000 is very nice but it's not on the same level as the HE-6/LCD-2.

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #10,065 of 18,459

Quote:

I have heard all of those headphones you mentioned and I still confidently say that LCD-2 are in a whole different league. 

Your entire message was contradictory. You're not into LCD-2 or HE6 because they will require additional setups but you talk about those dynamics AND the proper mods and set ups... ???? I am not following. 

I am running my LCD-2 with my modest Matrix M-Stage and I like them way better than RS-1i. 

and yes Grados (not the flagship models, since I haven't heard them) are strident and shrill... Not because I read this about them but because I owned them 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back