Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Mar 12, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #10,066 of 18,459

Quote:
Obviously, the effectiveness of the seal is not identical from side to side.

Could be a wonky face too :D

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #10,067 of 18,459

Quote:
Could be a wonky face too :D

Yeah, I didn't mention why the seals were not identical.  For me, maybe it was the extra holes in my head.

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #10,068 of 18,459
okay that about the seal not being identical doesnt make sense.  most people (me included) do not have random in consistencies on our skull that make one side more likely to seal than the other. the must beautiful ppl are symmetrical but i dont think us dweebs are so asymmetrical that we cannot make a seal on both sides of a headphone. switching sides, adjusting, doing anything u can think of and only 1 side makes that sound.... why?

Mar 12, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #10,069 of 18,459

Quote:
okay that about the seal not being identical doesnt make sense.  most people (me included) do not have random in consistencies on our skull that make one side more likely to seal than the other. the must beautiful ppl are symmetrical but i dont think us dweebs are so asymmetrical that we cannot make a seal on both sides of a headphone. switching sides, adjusting, doing anything u can think of and only 1 side makes that sound.... why?

Since they're not really designed to have a perfectly airtight seal, different paths of escape present themselves to relieve overpressure caused by smashing the cans against your head.  Stop doing that and the problem magically disappears.

If this condition were an issue at audio frequencies and SPLs below 133dB, it would show up in channel to channel imbalance, particularly at low frequencies.

Mar 13, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #10,071 of 18,459
I got back a B22 yesterday that was previously non-functional and has been fixed. The first headphone I wanted to check out on it was the LCD-2 and I've been listening to this combo for a couple of hours so far.

On an informal impression versus being in balanced mode on the HeadAmp GS-X (no actual comparison, just going off recent memory), the LCD-2 on the B22 sounds good, and seemingly definitely better than the GS-X, even without the advantage of balanced mode. There's a sense of more-weighted bass and more power overall into the bass/mid-bass - making for a fuller, thicker sound. There's also a sense of it being more open-sounding - everything pushed out & away more and more air throughout the music. In this sense, it's almost like a step towards the direction of the OII/BHSE. I wouldn't say the B22 rectifies some issues that I have with the LCD-2 though - it's still a very good headphone, but not amazing in every aspect for me, even with the B22. I'm extremely demanding when it comes to my electronica and so far the LCD-2 has been falling short of the Audio-Technica AD2000's sound - this is just personal preference though. If I had never heard the AD2K, it's possible I'd like the LCD-2 a lot more.

My in-progress/ongoing review of the LCD-2 will be updated to cover it amped with the B22 for more details and when my impressions will be better formulated. This review will definitely be posted by 4/11 btw (as I know at least one person is waiting for it).

While the LCD-2 does sound the best that I've heard it so far (very physical bass being the most prominent aspect about it), I'm not sure I'm going to keep it though and for me it's facing an uphill battle with my OII/BHSE and AD2K. As good as the bass is (and it has a lot more quantity than the AD2K), it's just not the kind of bass (and overall sound) that the AD2K delivers (which I've gotten used to over the last 5 years). There's a strong possibility that I'm going to be keeping my electrostatic system, and on the dynamic side just keep the AD2K (with either GS-X or Gilmore Lite).

These impressions are with the new ADZ-5 cable btw, which I got earlier this week.

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #10,078 of 18,459
Seems like they sent out emails in mass, I ordered January 18th and also received my order email this morning. 5 days before the two month mark!

Now to wait for them to arrive, which is probably going be harder then the wait for them to be ready!

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #10,079 of 18,459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"... If I had never heard the AD2K, it's possible I'd like the LCD-2 a lot more...

... While the LCD-2 does sound the best that I've heard it so far (very physical bass being the most prominent aspect about it), I'm not sure I'm going to keep it though and for me it's facing an uphill battle with my OII/BHSE and AD2K.  As good as the bass is (and it has a lot more quantity than the AD2K), it's just not the kind of bass (and overall sound) that the AD2K delivers (which I've gotten used to over the last 5 years). There's a strong possibility that I'm going to be keeping my electrostatic system, and on the dynamic side just keep the AD2K (with either GS-X or Gilmore Lite)..."

Ah yes... the AD2000's... as I've noted elsewhere (many times), I don't think a lot of people have ever heard the AD2000's with the pad mod and properly matched to an amp.  Without question, they are among the best dynamic phones out there, with very few limitations.  To me... very "Stax like."

And... if I recall correctly... you were one of those who introduced me to them 4 years ago.  Truly great phones.

Mar 13, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #10,080 of 18,459

Quote:
Ah yes... the AD2000's... as I've noted elsewhere (many times), I don't think a lot of people have ever heard the AD2000's with the pad mod and properly matched to an amp.  Without question, they are among the best dynamic phones out there, with very few limitations.  To me... very "Stax like."

And... if I recall correctly... you were one of those who introduced me to them 4 years ago.  Truly great phones.

I agree the AD2Ks are very nice phones and the only ones I kept after selling of all my other cans including the T1,HD800 and HE5LEs, but I still wonder what you consider a properly matched amp, can you give an example of one you think makes the AD2Ks shine?
Have you heard the LCD-2s with a "suitable" amp, they sound very nice with my APL amp, dont know what you used with them?
Tks P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back