Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Mar 1, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #9,918 of 18,459

Quote:
These are quite heavy on the head rofls. My center of gravity feels different.

Yes, I tend to tip over much easily now. Frustrating at times. First thing I know there I am, leaning like the Tower of Pizza. 

Quote:
Do they charge more for that travel case? I actually never liked their wooden box.

No, same, you have a choice. I would even give my wood box away to have one. 

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #9,919 of 18,459

Work them in for a while.  I have never heard a pair of new headphones or speakers that sounded good in the first day. NEVER.
Quote:
I picked up my LCD-2 from the FedExt office yesterday and have taken some pictures for those who might be interested to see how they are shipped in the travel case. 

So far I can say that contrary to some, I think they are anything but dark, not bright for sure but not really dark either. Well, having read this thread and waited for months I was kind of expecting them to blow me away but it didn't happen. Although there's nothing I can pin point as a problem now, I am assuming that my main problem is amplification? I am driving them through D4 as DAC and Matrix M-Stage as the main amp. I am not sure if I am not driving them properly that I have to upgrade both DAC and the amp... We'll see 

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #9,920 of 18,459
I am getting flashbacks of the XIN kind.  Pre ordered on 12-14.  Patiently waited and saw people after the 12-14 getting theirs.  I email Audeze after Valentines to let them know that I was past two months and maybe I was overlooked.  I got a reply within two hours saying mine will be ready very soon.  It is now March.  10 weeks and counting.  No worries though, still as patient as day one cause my HE6 is just Frackin A-awesome.
beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #9,921 of 18,459
I have the large Hippo case and they fit fine in there the cable detached.

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #9,922 of 18,459

Quote:
... how loose are the LCDs in that wooden box if it's closed when you got them? Would they rattle about if you shake it? I'm worried about shipping as I still can't decide between wooden box or the travel case.

Quote:
Nice images. I really wish I had gotten that instead of the wood box. Much more practical and just about like armor around the phones. The wood box, IMO, is too large and will crack. The Pelican case was an excellent idea. 

When I close the wooden case the headphones do not move at all when I rattle the box.

The wood case is actually not that bad. I took mine with me from Brisbane to Caracas in hand luggage and they arrived here as new. It did not crack (the case) even after many temperature and humidity changes (I stayed in LA for two weeks in between).

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #9,923 of 18,459
Well after about an hour I think I just adjusted to it and my head didn't feel wobbly anymore haha.

Quote:
Yes, I tend to tip over much easily now. Frustrating at times. First thing I know there I am, leaning like the Tower of Pizza. 

No, same, you have a choice. I would even give my wood box away to have one. 

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #9,924 of 18,459
That avatar cracks me up every time Currawong 
biggrin.gif

I have the original (improved) stock cable, and just got my new stock cable in. I do like them better balanced, I don't think I will even try the new cable for awhile or at all unless I get a killer SE amp. The WA22 is my best amp and I want to hear the LCD-2 at their best, so balanced is the way I roll with them. Like many my amp sounds much better balanced than in SE mode, so I don't know if the headphones themselves are that much better balanced than SE but it certainly works out better balanced for me.

As far as the wood cups cracking, I would be surprised if this becomes a widespread problem with the LCD-2. The only thing you have to do to prevent this from a manufacturing standpoint is to kiln-dry the wood, then seal it permanently to prevent the re-introduction of moisture; I am sure Audeze is on top of that. There will always be isolated cases because of the inconsistencies of wood in general, as in unforeseen weak spots.

Obviously there needs to similar controls put in place for the wooden box, I think Audeze will eventually do just that or drop it altogether in favor of the Pelican. Those guys are awesome, and I think it's great that they strive for continual improvement while working to fill existing orders. I would get the pelican case if I saw a need, but I will likely never travel with these. The wooden box is still tucked away in the shipping box and would probably only see use if I change residences.

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #9,925 of 18,459
I've been listening to these for the past 2 days and I have to say they are much more comfortable than I imagined they would be.  Also, they are so much better looking in person than in any photo I've seen.  I originally ordered a pair of T1 because I felt very strongly that I would not like the fit and finish and comfort of the LCD2.  Well thankfully the T1 were not in stock and I got tired of waiting so ordered these from Ken at ALO.  If anyone is on the fence due to comfort or feeling that the finished product isn't up to that of a major manufacturer please don't let that sway you.  Comfort wise I rank my headphones like this:

1) HD800
2) LCD2
3) D7000

The padding on the top and the ear-pads are better on the LCD2 than on the D7000.  My ears sweat with the D7000 but not with the LCD2.  Also, maybe it is just the new ALO round chain mail cables are much lighter than the flat weave versions but I don't find the headphone heavy at all.  I'm really liking them.

I'll post some more later on the sound compared to my other headphones.  They seem to be settling in a bit over the past 2 days so should probably give them awhile - they do sound very good though!

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #9,926 of 18,459

Quote:
When I close the wooden case the headphones do not move at all when I rattle the box.

The wood case is actually not that bad. I took mine with me from Brisbane to Caracas in hand luggage and they arrived here as new. It did not crack (the case) even after many temperature and humidity changes (I stayed in LA for two weeks in between).

Excellent to hear. I am not sure how the box will do going from almost 100 percent humidity to the 10 to 15 percent in Tucson, Arizona. The Pelican case for me, would be best though. I would like to get one for the HE-6 and the LCD-2. 

Mar 2, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #9,929 of 18,459

Quote:
I think running the LCD-2 balanced also adds another layer to them. Out of a good SE amp they sound excellent, they are, to my ear, a little more 3D on balanced. 

That is my perception too.

Mar 2, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #9,930 of 18,459

I ordered on 12/26, PayPal confirmation sent on 2/25, FedEx delivery scheduled for today (3/2).  8+ weeks, which was sooner than I had anticipated given I ordered over the holidays.

Quote:
When did you guys order?

I'm on the 8th week of the "4" week wait list.... so painful. Has anyone received an email from a January order?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back