Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Feb 8, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #9,406 of 18,459

Quote:
I borrowed a pair of HD600 from a guy at work. Not feeling them at all. I don't really hear anything that says these are very good headphones.

They don't feel very transparent. The mid-bass overwhelms vocals like crazy. There is almost no imaging quality at all.

They feel very overshadowed by my AKG 702, which sound far better in comparison. The only nod I can give to the HD600 is that they're not very fatiguing.

I enjoy the AKG702 for their transparency, and the fact that they just sound very natural. I enjoy the HFI 580 because they sound fun. Would you still recommend the LCD-2?

Yes, all the more!

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #9,407 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
i use the stock cable reterm to balanced on my LCD2 but am thinking about getting a moon audio silver dragon.

Great synergy IMO with the LCD-2s. Improves the mids/treble and gives more sense of space without any deleterious effects on the bass. Not to mention, quite a bit lighter and way more ergonomically friendly.

The latter is what makes it terribly attractive to me. Can't wait to receive mine and Drew has been very pleasant to talk with too. 

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #9,408 of 18,459
Quote:
One thing on the new cable they put piece red tape on the right connector instead of coloring red its already came off so you will have to put another piece of tape as i did and have different color now so I know what side is right.I appreciate the improvement over the original but why first day tape fall off. There must be a better way. This is not rocket science to properly color  the the way the cable attaches and not use stuff that will fall apart in the first day of usage. just my 2 cents. At least the old cable albeit falling apart was easy to know what side goes where. Why does this have to be so difficult?

To me, that's an improvement. Then everybody can use whatever color they like. Personally, I prefer a more muted color that doesnt attract so much attention to itself.

I borrowed a pair of HD600 from a guy at work. Not feeling them at all. I don't really hear anything that says these are very good headphones.

They don't feel very transparent. The mid-bass overwhelms vocals like crazy. There is almost no imaging quality at all.

They feel very overshadowed by my AKG 702, which sound far better in comparison. The only nod I can give to the HD600 is that they're not very fatiguing.

I enjoy the AKG702 for their transparency, and the fact that they just sound very natural. I enjoy the HFI 580 because they sound fun. Would you still recommend the LCD-2?

That's the HD580/HD600. Fortunately, the LCD-2 sounds nothing like it. The LCD-2 isn't fatiguing either though, so that's something they do have in common. I am very happy about my update from the HD580.

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #9,409 of 18,459
I know there have been questions previously about using the LCD-2s with old vintage speaker amplifiers, but I was wondering if anyone could perhaps share their thoughts on the potential paring of LCD-2s with my old Luxman L-5 amp (which retailed for $600 in 1976-80). I don't understand the first thing about how audio equipment works so most of the specs and comments are completely foreign to me.

http://audio-database.com/LUXMANALPINE-LUXMAN/amp/l-5-e.html

I'm stupidly lost between a LCD-2 paired with a ~$500 amp (possibly a Schiit Lyr in the next few months when I find the money and depending on feedback here re: the pairing), or getting some JH 16 Pros to remove the necessity for owning my SM3s and having decent SQ on the go, or lastly the JH-3A with JH 16s for a home/transportable rig. But at the moment I keep coming back to the LCD-2s which I was fortunate enough to listen to at a local meet a few months ago. I love the looks of them, the price but most importantly that bottom end, and other sonic tributes that suit my taste.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #9,410 of 18,459

Yes I got my 2nd paid just a few days ago and I also received the cable pictured on the right.  Despite what their website claims I think it js luck of the draw which incarnation of LCD-2/cable you receive from Audeze.  Afterall they have to get rid of the previously flawed units somehow.

Quote:
I'm confused.

I just received my LCD2's 8 days ago and I got the cable on the right. The cable labeled dec2010. Should i have received the cable on the left from Audeze?

Does anyone know which cable is better?

Thanks

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #9,411 of 18,459
I don't think you should despair. I have them both and use the old one with thick cable. IMHO its build with better parts. Just not assembled quite right.

Quote:
Yes I got my 2nd paid just a few days ago and I also received the cable pictured on the right.  Despite what their website claims I think it js luck of the draw which incarnation of LCD-2/cable you receive from Audeze.  Afterall they have to get rid of the previously flawed units somehow.

Quote:
I'm confused.

I just received my LCD2's 8 days ago and I got the cable on the right. The cable labeled dec2010. Should i have received the cable on the left from Audeze?

Does anyone know which cable is better?

Thanks

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #9,412 of 18,459
Yep I am plenty happy with the cable I got.  Im just saying there is no rhyme or reason to who gets what from them.  Just because you ordered at the same time as some1 else does not guarantee that you will get the same cable or even the same version of the headphone.

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #9,414 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
i use the stock cable reterm to balanced on my LCD2 but am thinking about getting a moon audio silver dragon.

Great synergy IMO with the LCD-2s. Improves the mids/treble and gives more sense of space without any deleterious effects on the bass. Not to mention, quite a bit lighter and way more ergonomically friendly.

The latter is what makes it terribly attractive to me. Can't wait to receive mine and Drew has been very pleasant to talk with too. 

You will not be disappointed, that is what I like with Silver Dragon over the stock cable.

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #9,415 of 18,459
I can say the new cable despite the red construction paper on the right connector which fell off is light very clean and much better than the old one i had. I am happy overall with it and the only suggestion for Audeze would be to color code the right connector so people will know which way is correct for installation. I like the light weight and flexibility. Much better than the other one for sure.

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #9,416 of 18,459

Quote:
I can say the new cable despite the red construction paper on the right connector which fell off is light very clean and much better than the old one i had. I am happy overall with it and the only suggestion for Audeze would be to color code the right connector so people will know which way is correct for installation. I like the light weight and flexibility. Much better than the other one for sure.

It puzzles me why they didn't use red heat shrink to ID the right side..

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #9,417 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

It puzzles me why they didn't use red heat shrink to ID the right side..

I had the same question. The cable is designed much nicer than the other I have had and really sounds very clean just one more adjustment they need to make but in the end I am happy with the cable

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #9,418 of 18,459
I received mine on 27 Jan with the old cable and sent them an inquiry day before yesterday to see if I could swap cables (I haven't even taken the stock one out of the bag).
Haven't heard anything yet.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #9,419 of 18,459

Quote:
I know there have been questions previously about using the LCD-2s with old vintage speaker amplifiers, but I was wondering if anyone could perhaps share their thoughts on the potential paring of LCD-2s with my old Luxman L-5 amp (which retailed for $600 in 1976-80). I don't understand the first thing about how audio equipment works so most of the specs and comments are completely foreign to me.

http://audio-database.com/LUXMANALPINE-LUXMAN/amp/l-5-e.html

I'm stupidly lost between a LCD-2 paired with a ~$500 amp (possibly a Schiit Lyr in the next few months when I find the money and depending on feedback here re: the pairing), or getting some JH 16 Pros to remove the necessity for owning my SM3s and having decent SQ on the go, or lastly the JH-3A with JH 16s for a home/transportable rig. But at the moment I keep coming back to the LCD-2s which I was fortunate enough to listen to at a local meet a few months ago. I love the looks of them, the price but most importantly that bottom end, and other sonic tributes that suit my taste.

Thanks in advance!

It's very hard to say how the Luxman will perform.  The headphone output is tapped off the speaker output in the old amps, which might work well actually. When I tried an old Luxman amp with the HD-800s it wasn't so great, but their requirements are totally opposite those of the LCD-2s.

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #9,420 of 18,459
An ortho is about the only type of phone that might work well off an amp/resistor setup because ortho's have really flat impedance, so the output impedance of the receiver/amp will have less effect on frequency response.  That said, once the signal drops across a big resistor the amp loses some ability to control the driver, and transient response can be affected.  So my $.02 is get a 'phone amp and be patient, knowing the Lux is the first step to a brighter future (I'm trying to get a job as a White House speachwriter.  Whaddya think?).

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back