Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jan 25, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #8,941 of 18,459

Quote:
Your right about customer service. These small guys need to deliver more than expected if they want to survive long term especially selling cables at those obscene prices. I believe Trevor will be a huge success at the quality and prices he id offering. I for one am enjoying the cable.

x2.  I got my 8-ft 8-strand cable today complete with adapters for single-ended use with my Concerto and balanced use with my 71B.

I have a very positive experience with Trevor.  Not only did he take the trouble to correct a mistake of mine with regards to the type of 4-pin XLR connectors but also took the trouble to check with me to make sure of the orientation of the mini-xlr connectors that connect to the drivers.  In addition, though USPS was the stated shipping service, he was obliging enough to check the shipping cost by Fedex which was the service that I told him I preferred.  In the end, I went with USPS (as Trevor said he had had no bad experiences with USPS so far and it was significantly cheaper than Fedex) and, USPS turned out great - just 5 days from his place to mine.

Construction and finishing are in my books first class, as is the packaging.

Last but not the least, I got a pleasant surprise partial refund of USD 10.  Why? All because Trevor was one day late in shipping from the day he promised me.  He need not have done it as I would not have complained at all (hey, no big deal for a 1-day delay).  It was not much money but certainly a great gesture. What do you say about that!?

Now I am happily listening with the 71B/LCD-2 balanced while writing this.  My initial impression is that balanced is a noticeable improvement over single-ended.

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #8,942 of 18,459
Trevor is a breath of fresh air around here. He has the right attitude to be successful where some vendors in this community think they are doing us a favor. No responses. poor delivery and shoddy workmanship. There have been many instances I have seen posted here with bad experiences and Norse is on the right path for success and has earned my respect. Now if every vendor took this approach it would be much easier for the customer to make good buying decisions.

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #8,943 of 18,459

very helpful. thanks.

Quote:
Quote:
what are some differences between the mini-torii and the taboo, as both models offer the planar headphone option.

They are different, and I am not sure anyone has heard both.  They have the same output power, but use different tubes.  The Mini-Torii uses 6V6 output tubes, versus the EL84/6BQ5 of the Taboo.  The M-T is also tube rectified AND regulated.  I'm sure there are other differences too, but probably some very real circuit similarities - they are both the output of one designer, after all.  It also believe that the M-T has a pre-amp type gain stage that the Taboo does not, which is why Decware recommends a high-output source if you don't use a preamp with the Taboo.

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #8,944 of 18,459
How soon do you guys receive the shipping email after payment?  It has been two days and I'm getting a little impatient....

Jan 25, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #8,945 of 18,459
I've been listening with my Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable with LCD-2s for a month now without so much as touching the stock cable at all until now. I can't believe the difference.
The Silver Dragon is supirior .The highs are up front where as the stock cable suffers in this area. And the microphonics are almost unbareble. The Silver Dragon has no microphonics at all.
Anyone in the market for an aftermarket cable should look at the Silver Dragon as a possible upgrade.
I think too that the Price is reasonable too at $250 for this. It is also light and flexible too.
The stock cable sounds muddy in comparison also where as the Moon Audio sounds crystal clear.

Sorry for my bad spelling. Ever since I learned spanish my spelling has sucked.
confused_face.gif

Jan 25, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #8,946 of 18,459

Quote:
Trevor is a breath of fresh air around here. He has the right attitude to be successful where some vendors in this community think they are doing us a favor. No responses. poor delivery and shoddy workmanship. There have been many instances I have seen posted here with bad experiences and Norse is on the right path for success and has earned my respect. Now if every vendor took this approach it would be much easier for the customer to make good buying decisions.

You can't compare a business selling a cable for a specific headphone to a multi-product vendor in the class of head-fi's vendors (with all respect to Trevor, I admire his work).
Some e-mails are falling between the lines. I had a very good customer service experience with ALO to the point I was shocked at how good it was. They replaced a malfunctioning amp that a previous owner messed up with it's internals (they could have as well claimed I did it because I had no proof I didn't do it).

Jan 25, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #8,947 of 18,459
I just wanted to know whether owners of both, the Sennheiser HD650 (or other headphones around that level) as well as the LCD-2, still use both of them regularly, for different genres for instance.

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #8,948 of 18,459
I havent used my 650s in months - will probably put them up fs soon, in fact.  The LCD-2 spanks the HD650 in ways that are illegal in some states

Quote:
I just wanted to know whether owners of both, the Sennheiser HD650 (or other headphones around that level) as well as the LCD-2, still use both of them regularly, for different genres for instance.

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #8,950 of 18,459
Quote:
Now I am happily listening with the 71B/LCD-2 balanced while writing this.  My initial impression is that balanced is a noticeable improvement over single-ended.

I'd like to hear more of your impressions about the SR71b/LCD-2 combo.  What source are you using, and is it balanced?

Maybe El_Doug can help me.  I haven't been getting great results using the 71b and the Lavry DA-10 in fully balanced mode.  Doug, I got to hear your Lavry setup at the NY meet and was impressed, so I bought a DA10 to use with the 71b.  But the DA10's internal volume isn't muted when the XLR outputs are used, so I have to turn the 71b's volume almost all the way down to minimize hiss and distortion.  The sound in this setup with my balanced Edition 8s just sounds distant, and noticeably less crisp and engaging as the Lavry's headphone amp.  I'm wondering if the DA-10's balanced outputs were meant to be used only with preamps and speakers, or is the 71b not a good match for the DA10 for some reason?  The sound seems similar to trying to amp the headphone out of a DAP; I have to turn the Lavry's volume almost all the way up and I can almost hear the extra barrier in the signal chain because the sound isn't as lively.

So before investing in either a SE desktop amp or a 71b balanced cable for the LCD-2s, I'm trying to figure out what (if anything) is the issue.  Is the Lavry's unbalanced output using XLR to RCA cables obviously better than the Lavry's headphone amp, and do you have issues with finding the right volume balance between the amp and the Lavry?

By the way, the 71b sounds awesome with my Edition 8s using the HM-801 as an unbalanced source.  So I don't think it's an issue between the 71b and the Ed. 8s...

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #8,951 of 18,459
I cant say I know much about the technicals that may be causing this, however it seems to me that if the issue is simply that the sound is too loud (this giving you very little room on the amp's knob), then you should just turn down the lavry's volume. 

Hiss and distortion though... clearly more than a volume issue.  perhaps the chips in that little amp don't like a very high voltage input?  just guessing here :/ 

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #8,952 of 18,459

I've been listening with my Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable with LCD-2s for a month now without so much as touching the stock cable at all until now. I can't believe the difference.

The Silver Dragon is supirior .The highs are up front where as the stock cable suffers in this area. And the microphonics are almost unbareble. The Silver Dragon has no microphonics at all.

Anyone in the market for an aftermarket cable should look at the Silver Dragon as a possible upgrade.

I think too that the Price is reasonable too at $250 for this. It is also light and flexible too.

The stock cable sounds muddy in comparison also where as the Moon Audio sounds crystal clear.

Sorry for my bad spelling. Ever since I learned spanish my spelling has sucked.
confused_face.gif

Good to hear, my Silver Dragon will land tomorrow.

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #8,955 of 18,459
Legal in my state.

Quote:
I havent used my 650s in months - will probably put them up fs soon, in fact.  The LCD-2 spanks the HD650 in ways that are illegal in some states

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back